Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #15

Hi Guys,
After following the suggestion given, I found the problem with the power converter. Changing converter will be the next project.

Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #16

Georgie Boy Owners Club
We have one of those fancy meters but honestly don't know how to use it. Is their a video showing how to check all these connections for the voltage and where to do the testing. We are having the same problem (batteries aren't charging and look to be at 11.9 now...can't run out and check due to thunderstorms and nightfall). I am scared to put those leads on just any old wire or connector

varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varankins3 View Post
We have one of those fancy meters but honestly don't know how to use it. Is their a video showing how to check all these connections for the voltage and where to do the testing. We are having the same problem (batteries aren't charging and look to be at 11.9 now...can't run out and check due to thunderstorms and nightfall). I am scared to put those leads on just any old wire or connector
What meter device are you referring to?

Without that information, it is difficult to give you advice.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #18

Georgie Boy Owners Club
sorry 'bout that...it is an Innova 3310 multimeter. I know how to use the DCV settings to check the batt voltage and the ACV side to check outlets. But I am scared to death to touch those leads to any part of the wires coming in or out and don't know WHERE to touch them There is a section on there notated Bat Load Test; DCA; and Ohm, plus the "beep" which I know to use on fuses. The little booklet that came with it wasn't really much help...pictures or stick figures would be much better
varankins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahakal View Post
Hi Guys,
After following the suggestion given, I found the problem with the power converter. Changing converter will be the next project.
How did you determine the converter was bad?

On many chargers/converters, there must be sufficient voltage on the output (12v side) to engage a safety relay. Dead/very low batteries offer a very low resistance load on the converter so if your batteries read very low voltage, the converter will be shut down and not produce any output to prevent high current from the converter. High charge/discharge current could make the battery explode. Very dangerous,

I suspect the low load voltage is a most probable scenario in your circumstance, however by letting your batteries go dry you may have caused damage to the converter before the shutdown relay activated.

While your batteries are likely toast, but they may recover somewhat if you try a low current trickle charger overnight and see if you can get the voltage back up, (I suspect there could be internal battery damage but perhaps the converter shut down before too much damage occured.)

You could also connect you chassis battery to the output of your converter to test if my theory of the relay shutting down the converter output,

Many people have commented about "water" levels in batteries. The liquid in the battery is electrolyte. If the battery is charged, that solution is sulpheric acid, NOT water. Sulpheric acid is extremely damaging to the skin, can make you blind and will eat through many substances.

When a battery is charged, extremely flamable hydrogen gas is emitted from the vent holes in the cap. Be very careful no sparks, flame or any igniting item comes near that gas as the batteries charge,

Suggest you get a hydrometer and check the electrolyte specific gravity and record the levels.

Good luck, hope I was helpful
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #20

Hi,
No did not have to change the converter. When I took the battery out to the breaker tripped which I did not know. So after a day when I checked and found out there was no power I connected converter to shore power extension cord. Converter started working. Went to the breaker box reset the breaker and it worked. Now battery is charging and everything works. Thanks every one. Have a lot to learn.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #21

Good it is working. Most, if not all, good converters have safety features that shut them down as required.

Exploding batteries are extremely dangerous so constant battery maintenance is essential. Good luck and check the "electrolyte", aka fluid level in the batteries, and top up (not fill) as required. Always leave some airspace in the cell when you put water in.

AGM or any sealed battery does not have the same degree of maintenance dilligence, however keeping terminals clean and connections solid applies to all batteries.

So good luck
Old 06-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #22

Thanks will definetly keep mind.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varankins3 View Post

sorry 'bout that...it is an Innova 3310 multimeter. I know how to use the DCV settings to check the batt voltage and the ACV side to check outlets. But I am scared to death to touch those leads to any part of the wires coming in or out and don't know WHERE to touch them There is a section on there notated Bat Load Test; DCA; and Ohm, plus the "beep" which I know to use on fuses. The little booklet that came with it wasn't really much help...pictures or stick figures would be much better

How To Use A Multimeter - YouTube

THE BEST Multimeter tutorial (HD) - YouTube

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...e-a-multimeter

3 Ways to Use a Multimeter - wikiHow

Measuring Stuff with a Multimeter - For Dummies

Here are just a few places to learn how to use a multimeter.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MulltimeterUse.pdf (198.9 KB, 4 views)