Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Battery Off Still Discharging

Ok, For all you DC guys; I measure 150ma current at house battery with house batt disconnect switch OFF. Chassis battery measures essentially zero current with chassis batt disconnect switch off. I used the generator two days ago to bring the house/chassis batteries from 12.3v to 100% charge (about 3 hrs). I watched as the Xantrex display progressed thru bulk, adsorption and finally float charge. So today I read 12.53v at batteries (90%).

10% loss in two days; I'll be at 50% SOC in less than two weeks. I have to keep rig (under cover) in storage yard, no electrical. Since under cover, 100w solar does no good.

Normal or???

2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 40'w/tag
4xGC2 6v batteries, about 9 months since new.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #2

Yes it's normal. With the disconnect off you still have things like gas detection etc still drawing current. Only way fully disconnect for long term is to remove the neg term at the battery.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

I don't have a wiring diag but I would think that a batt disconnect switch would be the first thing that the pos. cable would attach to. I can't roll under the coach to check.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Parasitic Draws

Items that are 'DIRECTLY' wired to battery (bypassing disconnect) so that they are ON all the time
Propane Detector, circuit boards, memory circuits etc.

Parasitic Draws (drains) will lower typically battery below 50%SOC within a couple weeks or less
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

The battery disconnect doesn't always disconnect everything . The inverter and a few other items are still connected. The only way to be sure is to remove the cables that are not going the disconnect from the battery. It would sure be nice if coach manufactures installed battery disconnects that disconnected everything .
Old 01-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

I read the Beaver manual, and it says that when using the disconnect switch "The batteries will be completely disconnected". The solar IS wired to charge both chassis and house with disconnects OFF.

Still wondering....
Old 01-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
I read the Beaver manual, and it says that when using the disconnect switch "The batteries will be completely disconnected". The solar IS wired to charge both chassis and house with disconnects OFF.

Still wondering....
Guess the 'manual' is correct and you do not have any parasitic draws
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post

Still wondering....
Then disconnect the solar. It is a drain without sun so it will charge.

Your batteries will still run down due to internal resistance but it will be at a lower rate.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #9

My Aladdin system says that the solar is putting out about 9vdc. I thought each panel (I only have one) has blocking diodes so that the things don't drain batteries at night.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #10

I dont believe the solar will drain anything. 150ma is not much, do you have a charger or small electronic thing plugged in somewhere?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Like others have said, it's parasitic draw. Do your radios, still remember the preset stations and time? It takes power to do that as well as keep the propane, CO and smoke detectors going also.
Even your chassis batteries will over time draw down if left hooked up. There is a very small, but still a draw there also.
Only way to guarantee the batteries will stay up is to disconnect them if you are inside with no shore power.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

If the only thing on the battery side of the disconnect is the solar charger. The charge line and isolator to the engine charging system is probably also connected. Disconnect them and see what happens. Basic trouble shooting. If everything was working correctly the drain would not be there. Figure out where it is then figure out why.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Put a knife switch on the ground cable. Now you have a true disconnect.

LEN
Old 02-04-2018, 12:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine the culprit was the inverter. Even fully powered down it was drawing about 200 ma. An appropriately rated disconnect switch in the battery feed solved the problem. PITA, though, because its one more thing you have to remember when putting the rig into storage.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging