Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery opinions please

2008 Fleetwood Discovery, Freightliner chassis, 350 Cummins
Bought this unit fall 2017 just in time to put it in storage for the winter. Got it out in the spring of 2018 and replace the 4 six volt coach batteries with Interstate GC2 batteries because they were old and previous owner said they needed replaced. Used the coach all year as we normally do and in the fall of 2018 we put it in storage as we always do. Got it out this past weekend and was doing some maintenance and found all 4 batteries were split open on the corners.
Now I have only seen a battery do this when it was dead and left out in the cold (below freezing) The meter in the coach showed 12.4, I took my multi meter and even thought they were busted and most of the fluid had leaked out they still showed 6,4 to 6.5 volts independently.
This is our 5th coach and always store them the same way and never seen this before.
Not sure what I am missing but what’s everyone’s opinion one what brand of deep cycle 6 volt batteries to buy.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions, Barney
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like a warranty issue! Do you keep them float charging during the winter?
Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Sounds like a warranty issue! Do you keep them float charging during the winter?
It is plugged in during storage.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

They either froze or over charged

If they over charged evidence of the extra gas should be visible

Trojan T-105 AGM is an excellent choice and will stand freezing unless totally discharged
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't spend a lot on batteries. I just replaced the second set in 11 years with Sam's Club 12 volt Duracells. I think they were 88 bucks apiece.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Since you are in Ohio, I would look at what this guy has...recently bought 8 Interstate AGM 110 AH batteries for $70 each while he was in Fla. He gets in various sizes and as long as the voltage is 12.7 or 12.8 they have a lot of life left in them. No liquid to freeze, no watering, no corrosion, and very low discharge if not hooked to shore power.
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/f...857534466.html
147 AH out of 100 lbs means they are very good AGM batteries...expensive plates.
Tell Johnny the Prius owner sent you.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the replies, I decided to put NAPA batteries in it, 2 new 12v for the chassis and 4 new 6 volt for the house.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would double check your charging voltage to make sure they are not being overcharged. If the converter is original it may not have been that great to begin with, let alone after 10 years or so of hard service.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

6v GC2 (golf car) batteries are a commodity and they mostly all come from the same 4 major factories, regardless of the bran label on the outside. They come in two size ratings, 210 AH and 225-230 AH, depending on the amount of lead inside (which translates to the price on the outside). Buy the brand that has the best price in your area.

The only real decision to be made is flooded cell vs AGM. The AGM is maintenance free but costs a LOT more. If you are willing to care for the flooded cell 6v deep cycle, it should last 7-10 years, so it is hands down the price/performance winner.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery