Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Battery problem

Here's the scenario.......When we stopped our Journey '08, the house battery immediately dropped to 10.2. The refrigerator was blinking "low dc". Were told the batteries needed replacement which was done. It is still acting up occasionally with the new batteries. When driving we also are hearing a chirping sound....thought it was the smoke alarms so we took them down to see if they were the culprit. Not so....still an occasional chirp almost like the sound when the propane is being turned off and on. Any Ideas?????

cfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The curping may be from your LP gas detector. It is set to give off an audiable chirp just like that when battery poweer is low. as for you batteries they may not getting the proper charge, check your conections at batery terminals, you may have a short somewherre finaly if that dont work get you converter chager checked, it may be malfunctioning.

randyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The chirping is indeed like when the propane is turned on and off (you do so with a switch right) it is he Explosive Gas (Propane) Detector saying "FEED ME FEED ME (Electricity that is) or Low battery.

As to why you are still seeing low battery I don't know. I have heard of cases where a dealer messed up an install, but this is stuff I get into hands on.

Here is what I do.

Start with a handy dandy volt meter. Measure the voltage across the batteries.. Choose the terminals that run off into the coach, not wires that hook battery to battery.

Question: Did you install six volt pairs of 12 volt batteries?

Don't know.. Look at (photograph) the top of the batteries and i'll tell you.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
Did they check to see that the coach batteries were getting charging voltage from the engine alternator? (14.1VDC supplied via isolation relay on a Winnebago product) Then, did they verify the batteries are getting charging voltage from either (or both) shore power or generator? (most likely a inverter/charger or possibly a converter/charger).

Whether done as part of bad battery troubleshooting or new battery confirmation, all this should be done for a proper installation.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
How long does it take to kill batteries? Do you have a inverter and is it on?
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Sounds to me as if there is a problem with your charge relay and /or the converter. Time pull out the volt meter and check output to the batteries while traveling and on shore power. Battery voltage plugged in or engine on should read above 13.5 volts. A fully charged battery that's in good shape should read 12.8 volts with nothing plugged in and no power draw; anything below that not plugged in or engine running is considered in need of a charge. Engine alternator provides power for batteries running and converter provides power when plugged in. Typically in the range of 13.8- 14.4 volts.if there is no voltage that high on shore power you have a problem somwhere.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi cfing,

Consider posting this questions in the Winnebaggo Owner's forum. On the main iRV2 page scroll down until you see the forum. There are many unique things from one manufacturer to another. Nobody knows your coach like another member who has one just like yours.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need more info about your rig, Do you have a full size fridge, ie 120vac type? If so then check inverter. Check normal charge circuit also. Does it do OK when generator is running, on shore power? More info I say more info is good.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 5 Star tuned; 2014 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
SuperGewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
I recently went through the same situation with my unit. Long story short after removing converter/inverter, bench testing, battery testing, remote control testing, it turned out that some of the battery cables were not making good connection. Removed each cable from post, lightly sanded and reconnected and that cured the problem. I should have thought of the simple problem before jumping to the complex ones. The chirping was the control box for my electric awnings reading less than 12 volts. Disconnected the power to that unit and it stopped.

jimjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote