Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #1

Unhappy battery problems

Hi,
I'm new to class A RVing and am sort of totally lost. I bought a 2004 Damon V10 Challenger 34 ft with 25k on it. I just got it back from an RV place to replace the awning and slide out covers. When I got home I plugged it into shore power and it's been plugged in for a week. Yesterday I was going to set it up and tried to get the stabilizer jacks down. The system was completely dead. I c((hecked the batteries and they are dead. I was under the impression that the converter is supposed to keep the 6V batteries charged up but I guess maybe the converter isn't working. Does anyone know how to check the converter? Is there a reset switch or anything that I can flick? I'm really quite unhappy with the lack of operating instructions that come with these units, like, the hydraulic pump for the jacks is supposed to have a fuse right beside it according to the manufacturer, I'll be darned if I can find one. I am not very mechanically inclined and this s--t is going to give me grey hair (although at 70 that's not too bad I guess) Any help would be appreciated
Bryan
bryanoverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
All coaches come from the factory with documentation, some are excellent and some are ok... but since yours is a used coach most likely the PO has the documentation at his home...

First, find your converter. Once you find it get the model number off the box and google that model number. You should be able to find the documentation to the converter. The problem could be a blown fuse/circuit breaker or a bad converter. It also may be something as simple as a loose connection at the converters output. You test the converter with a volt meter on the output leads of the converter.

Also, since your coach is a 2004 it is possible the batteries are bad especially if the PO never replaced the batteries.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your "salesman switch" right by the door.. is it ON.. They always turn it OFF after servicing a rig.. That will keep your batteries from charging.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4

Note also that the converter is a 120V device converting that 120V to 12Vdc. Get a meter and measure the voltage across the 6V batteries while plugged into shore power. The two in series should measure over 13V...if the converter is plugged in, on, and working. Some converters have built in fuses or circuit breakers too. Many, like mine, are in a compartment that has an electrical outlet right next to it that must have power and can be in a GFI string. So check your GFI's too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In order to move the jacks on my Challenger, the engine must be running. Depending on which batteries are not charged, chassis or coach, could be onportant to understand. The BCC on my coach, isolates the chassis and coach battery when the voltage drops to less than 12.6 VDC, maintaining the chassis battery for engine starting. If the coach batteries have discharged and the converter is not working, check things like the TV antenna amplifier, refrig, etc. If the converter is working and the DC system is isolated, the only loads I know that are powered directly from the coach batteries are the Generator starter and the LP leak detector. Hope this helps. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Angry battery problems

Thanks fore the feedback guys, really appreciate it. It seems that when my rig was in the shop for five weeks the coach batteries drained completely. I now have them fully charged and everything seems to be good except for my Lippers leveler jacks, I have no power to the control head, according to the diagram there is supposed to be a fuse right beside the pump but I can't find a fuse or a breaker anywhere nearby. I've checked all the breakers that I could find and reset them all to no avail.
I did find a bank of mini fuses in the Power distribution box that is dead,
six fuses in all. The fuses are good but I'm assuming there's no power getting to them. Sounds like a Trip to the Ford dealer coming up, ****!
bryanoverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is probably an in-line fuse. Look far a small, flat rectangular thingy.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me ask you a question: With it plugged in do the internal lights work? (Ceiling lamps. wall lamps and such? These are 12 volt HOUSE system, if they work (And the batteries are dead) then you converter is converting.. Damon puts the converter in assorted places. Mine is in the driver's side rear most basement compartmenbt on the back end of the RV.

Check the "Salesman Switch" (may say USE/STORE) must be in USE. listen for a CLUNK when you move it.. Mine .. Failed.. With the rig less than a year old.

Next. The jacks on my rig are a CHASSIS feature. they run off the CHASSIS batteries. But that's my Damon.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #9

On my Daybreak (01) the jacks also work on the chassis battery. I would suggest you pick up a volt-ohm meter and get somewhat familiar with it. WalMart has them for $20.00.
The reason I am writing. Damon still has a pretty good Web presence. You may find your owners manual on line as a PDF. Mine was too old, but I emailed them and they sent me a PDF and even offered to send a paper copy, no charge. There is a bunch of knowledgeable folks on the forum to help you, but you will need to do some basic diagnosis. With your VOM (volt-ohm-meter) start at the pump and check voltage. Mine is older and a Workhorse chassis. Mine is behind the grill and accessible through the hood.

Tags
battery