Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Battery question ???

I've got my motorhome in the garage and plugged into shorepower. I just checked the chassis and house batteries and they are fully charged. Should I flip the switch to disconnect both sets of batteries or just leave them alone?
I only ask this because the battery store owner that I purchased my AGM's from said do not over charge or let them get hot, because that decreases the life of the battery.
I have noticed that after checking my batteries over the course of a year or so that my batteries are warm/hot and I periodically hear them bubbling when walking by the bus. Just wondering ....

DonGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The answer will depend on the charging system. What charges the banks? Do both banks recharge from shore and generator power? Please give us detailed info; make and model of everything. Thanks.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
It depends on the type of charging system you have. Even a 2005 42' Monoco Signiture series has a fairly high end electrical setup using a Trace inverter/charger with auto-generator start up. Later models would only have the latest inverter/charger models available.
The Trace unit is a 3 stage charging device and should revert to the float mode to maintain the batteries. I would also not be suprised if you also had a seperate BIRD system that allows the Trace unit to charge the chassis battery (a BIRD system automatically X-connects the chassi/house systems based on charging voltage on either side).
However, you said it was also boiling the batteries which could be a concern. You need to make sure the water level is not being boiled away. That will kill the batteries if water level is boiled off to low. That could possibly be a sign of a defective Trace unit (over charging the battey bank). Even so, devices like the auto steps or LP gas detector pull a constant drain on the batteries (ghost loads) so, the Trace unit would automatically come out of Float mode and recharge the battery due to those drains. To many ghost loads and the system may be cycling far to often and needlessly overstreessing the battery and charging system. What you have to be careful of if you use the Battery disconnect is, you have to determine if Monaco placed ghost loads on the battery side of the switch (auto step, keyless entry, LP detectector, etc.). They would still pull your battery down with the battery disconnected. It helps to know exactly how your system is designed in order to effectively keep it healthy.

Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
These chsrging systems are adjustable, thru software.
The magnum in my knight is. It's possible to likely. That it isn't set to the correct charging vo?ltages for agm batteries.

Find the tech support number for the charger manufacturer, they will walk u thru making the correct settings.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Dave she has AGM batteries, sealed. The coach charger should have either an automatic or a mechanical switch for an AGM setup. If it is set up for lead acid that may be your problem. If you can't find the charger manual go online and find it and see how yours is set up. AGM, Gel and lead acid batteries are all charged differently as I understand it.
Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
When in doubt -- disconnect the battery -- no downside.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Never messed with AGM batteries but I didn't think that type of battery could boil/bubble like the OP is saying his are.

Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AGM batteries do have liquid in them, thus they can boil/bubble, however the liquid is soaked into a fiberglass cloth (Glass mat the "GM" part of AGM) and thus SHOULD not boil unless the batteries are being overcharged, exactly as the store clerk said not to.

Do call the converter customer support and get the correct settings for AGM.

I'm not that keen on AGM's as I fail to see any major benefit over standard Maintenance Free.. However that said. Hard to find Deep Cycle Maintenance free. Easier to find Deep Cycle AGM.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote