Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Battery Question

I have a 92 Damon Challenger that has two new batteries. One for the coach and one for the motor. Currently my radio/dash air run down my coach battery going down the road. My drive battery always has power. Isn't my coach battery supposed to be charging from engine alternator? Shore power and the generator both charge it it right back up. Should I just run some heavy gage wire to connect batteries? Would this strain my alternator?
Thanks!
Brandon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon92 View Post
I have a 92 Damon Challenger that has two new batteries. One for the coach and one for the motor. Currently my radio/dash air run down my coach battery going down the road. My drive battery always has power. Isn't my coach battery supposed to be charging from engine alternator? Shore power and the generator both charge it it right back up. Should I just run some heavy gage wire to connect batteries? Would this strain my alternator?
Thanks!
Brandon
Dont think it would strain the altenator, I always added second battery in my RVS for years just parrelelled them in with heavy guage wire i never had a problem over 23 years now. And the motor charged the Batterys.
just make sure you run heavy enough wire ,dont skimp on anything if you do it right there will be no problems and less worrries of dead batterys also
make sure theres no drains on them when things are off. hope that might help a little maybe give you an idea to help anyways .

IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks for reply. I have a cutoff switch for my coach battery I have been using and it works great to prevent it going down while sitting. My concern now is if I "tie them together" I could drain both of them. Is there a device that would allow charge to go to coach battery but not to pull from drive battery?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Fix the problem, not the symptom"

I am pretty sure that the alternator is supposed to charge the coach battery. Surely, this charging problem would have been addressed at sometime since 1992.

Somebody on this forum might have a wiring diagram that could help you trace out your 12 volt charging system.

I would start by following the coach positive wire and see where it goes. It probably has 2 wires, one to the converter and probably one to a relay, that relay could be a disconnect relay. Next there could be another relay that connects the 2 batteries together, that could be your problem.

Do you have an AUX (or something like that) switch on your dash that will connect the batteries together? Does it work? Do you hear a click?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since the early days of motor homes they have almost always used one of 3 systems (The very earliest might not have)

1: (rare) is a diode box, this is a epoxy filled metal box with fins, it has 3 or 4 bolts that stick up out of the epoxy, 3 are heavy duty, one connects to the alternator and the other two to the batteries, the 4th if present is smaller and goes to the voltage regulator.

Diodes in an electronic circuit are like check valves.

(Side note to purists here, Im using the "current" not "electron" flow, I know that electrons flow from Negative to Positive but it is easier if I use "Current" which by tradition is the other way around, If you are not a puriest, ignore this paragraph please)

current flows from the alternator, through the Diodes to whichever battery is most hungry, Once the two battery banks are "Equal" current is split between them Current can not flow battery to battery due to the check valve effect of the diode.

The second system is an isolator relay (Most comon) and it comes in two types (The other type is the 3rd system).

In this type of system, Engine off, the two batteries are isolated, No current flows battery to battery... Start the engine and a time delay (normally a few seconds, say 30-60) the solenoid cuts in (Time delay can be as little as zero by the way) and the alternator then charges both banks.

The third type we call a BIRD, BiDirectional Relay Delay system. In this system works just like the 2nd type when it comes to driving, but it also works if plugged into shore power, Once the house batteries are "Up to snuff" (not necessarly full but say 89-90 percent) it kicks in and charges the chassis as well.. THIS is the best of all worlds as no matter where power is coming from it flows to ALL needy batteries.

A good 3-stage converter is a must with this system though, do not want to boil the starting battery dry or you will be stuck.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Thank you for explaining. I looked under yesterday for an isolator and could not locate anything. I will have more time tomorrow and let you know what I find.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
do you have any wiring diagrams?

A '92 Damon just might have nothing at all... shore power or the genny charges the house bank, and the main engine charges the chassis battery, and never the twain shall meet.

I looked at one damon daybreak gas motorhome, thing did not even have a transfer switch, if you wanted to use the generator, you had to move a plug!

Tags
battery