Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #1

Battery replacement

I was told recently by the service center that works on my class A DP that my batteries are beginning to swell indicating its time to start thinking of replacing them.

I'm getting ready to take off on a two month excursion at the end of May. My question is: Should I wait until they fail?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 AM   #2

Just because the battery may bulge slightly does not necessarily mean they are about to fail. To know for sure you need to have them carbon pile tested. Many shops have them .
Also, how old are the batteries?

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:43 AM   #3

That really depends on how difficult it might be to find suitable, new batteries where you will be headed on your trip.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tom View Post
I was told recently by the service center that works on my class A DP that my batteries are beginning to swell indicating its time to start thinking of replacing them.

I'm getting ready to take off on a two month excursion at the end of May. My question is: Should I wait until they fail?

House batteries or engine batteries? In my experience house batteries don't just stop providing power but die slowly meaning they just don't run your house system as long as they did before. I suspect you can get by with that. If engine batteries you can have them load tested and have a good feel for how strong they are. I'd think you would not want to be traveling and have an engine battery fail. They usually fail at an inopportune time and/or location.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tom View Post

Your decision on replacement.
My only advice is to make sure you take a couple of real good photos for reference when reinstalling the new batteries. Replace All the batteries in a group IE, two Chassis batteries or four House batteries.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How old are these batteries and did they do a load test?

Depending on what type and size it might be a good time to upgrade and get more capacity. Just a thought
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your favorite battery type and do you belong to SAM's CLUB.

Things to do today: Get a can of RED spray paint or a bottle of RED paint or nail polish, You have wires that run battery to battery and from Battery to....Elsewhere.. All the battery POSITIVE to "Elsewhere" wires..Paint 'em RED

Optional: paint the Negative to elsewhere black

TAKE PICTURES,, At least 3 or 4 from differnet angles.

NOW: If you like GC-2 (six volt golf car batteries) MOST Sam's club stores have them or can get 'em quickly,,they have (usually) the best price and this is the best battery for your money.

IF you want Exotics like AGM's..Well check out the dealers on your favorite brand along the route.

That is the best I can offer

I do not like to replace before it is necessary.. Though if you do not wish to risk no batteries in the night when you are boondocking overnight at a JorWal-Mart......Well (Of course Wal*mart may well sell the battery you need).
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
What is your favorite battery type and do you belong to SAM's CLUB.

Things to do today: Get a can of RED spray paint or a bottle of RED paint or nail polish, You have wires that run battery to battery and from Battery to....Elsewhere.. All the battery POSITIVE to "Elsewhere" wires..Paint 'em RED
While I have the rattle can out, I also paint the body of the battery red all around the terminal.

I also like to use a white paint marker to highlight the "+" (and the "-" on the other side.

Small steps that could save HUGE hassles!!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #9

Buy a paint pen. Save yourself all sorts of grief by marking things like position, orientation, etc.

Next, lots of spurious advise from so-called techs. All my house batteries bulge. They work fine. You can have them tested individually, and you may find you have a bad one, in which case you can replace just one. It won't last as long as it should, but I have 6 house batteries and it was a lot cheaper to buy one new one.

If you don't have a battery dealer near you just see how long your coach will run without shore or generator power. If you are happy with it, leave them.

Check them at least twice a year. Clean off the connections (remember that the connection is made off the lead slug, so if you have bolt down connections you have to take off the wires and clean the area at the base of the bolt), check the electrolyte levels and top them up as needed.

Yup, it is a pain.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Replaced mine with GC2 from Sams about 2 years ago . I bought the batteries paid core charge carry them back for a refund later. Made it easy not to hook them up wrong did take photos also.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

I replaced mine this spring EG2's from SAMS club. Took photos of all of the various connections, made a map and used masking tape on all of the connections. Labeled things 1+ or 1- depending on which battery (1-4). Worked great and made no mistakes.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
Labeled things 1+ or 1- depending on which battery (1-4). Worked great and made no mistakes.
I like the idea of numbering batteries. One could even keep a log of individual battery voltages...particularly after storage or after a big trip. You could get a good idea if one was starting to go south without you.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtermini30 View Post
I replaced mine this spring EG2's from SAMS club. Took photos of all of the various connections, made a map and used masking tape on all of the connections. Labeled things 1+ or 1- depending on which battery (1-4). Worked great and made no mistakes.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Pretty much what I did except I put tape on cables and then labeled the cables 1, 2, 3, etc. Marked them on the drawing (also took photos as mentioned above). I also used plastic ties to hold two or three wires together that connected to the same post. Today I purchased four CC-2 batteries from Costco at $83.99 (or close to that) each.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement