Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #1

Battery Replacement Recommendation

We recently purchased a 2009 Hurricane. The chassis battery is the original Motorcraft battery.

I am thinking it may be wise idea to be looking at a new battery, instead of waiting for this one to fail at the most inconvenient time.

Looking for a recommendation on what I should replace it with.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The best battery you can buy for that coach is an Odyssey battery. They are also relabeled for Sears as their best automotive battery. Not inexpensive but built with pure lead and not recycled lead like most makers use

Old 03-22-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Battery

X2 on the Odyssey Battery. I used one in my Mercedes for 9 years. Still going strong when I sold it...

Bob
Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'll disagree to some extent. The Odyssey is an excellent AGM-type battery, but you can do near as well with any decent flooded cell, 12v cranking battery at a much lower price. Just get one with the same CCA rating as the current Motocraft, and of course the same physical size (BCI battery case #) and terminal type. You got 7 years from the OEM Motocraft and it hasn't failed you yet, so how much "better" do you want a battery to be?

Don't get me wrong, cause AGM batteries do have advantages. Foremost is probably reduced corrosion potential on posts and surrounding metal. But there is a hefty price premium to get that for basic engine cranking battery. Price out the two types (Oddyssey is not the only brand of AGM type cranking battery) and see what you think.

There is nothing wrong with recycled lead either. The old lead is melted down and any impurities removed to restore the lead to a "pure" condition. From then on, the manufacturing process is the same regardless of where the lead came from.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Lead is one of the most recycled metals in the market. I don't think one can buy guaranteed virgin lead unless they own the mine.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. Although the Odyssey appears to be considered the best, we are retired and I have to consider cost. I was thinking more like another Motorcraft, Duracell or Interstate. If it lasts another seven and I am still in good health, that will be about the time I have to decide if it is time to give it up. Thanks again.

Fred
Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just drop by the Interstate shop and get the biggest CCA battery that fits. Then on the first sign of a problem I replace, normally at about 5 years. I don't get a no start situation.

LEN
Old 03-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFred View Post
Thanks for the responses. Although the Odyssey appears to be considered the best, we are retired and I have to consider cost. I was thinking more like another Motorcraft, Duracell or Interstate. If it lasts another seven and I am still in good health, that will be about the time I have to decide if it is time to give it up. Thanks again.

Fred
Congratulations Fred. You have run the gauntlet and come out the other side using nothing more than Common Sense.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The battery you have lasted 7+ years. Save your money and replace it with the same battery. Group size and CCA. That is all you need. JMHO
Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Thanks all.
Went to the Ford Dealer and bought a Motorcraft Max Tough of the same size as the original. Warrantied for three years and was $ 119.95. If it lasts as long (or close) to the original, I'll be happy.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFred View Post
We recently purchased a 2009 Hurricane. The chassis battery is the original Motorcraft battery.

I am thinking it may be wise idea to be looking at a new battery, instead of waiting for this one to fail at the most inconvenient time.

Looking for a recommendation on what I should replace it with.

Thanks for your help.

Fred
Hi RV Fred, we have always used Interstate batteries. They are supported all over the US.
Bob & Sandy
Old 04-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #12

Our local Costco now sells Interstate batteries at their discount price, Limited selection but good saving if they have you size.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
YC1

Too late for my recommendation. Take pictures of your batteries and cables for future reference.

As for batteries, I measure the hole and fill it up. One does not buy a battery, one merely rents them.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used Autozone 5 year batteries for years. They are great and they have a 3 year free replacement warranty and they're all over the country if you have a problem. They usually run around $100.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement