Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My understanding is that the main problem is the different expansion rates of the different metals.

Over time, this expansion/contraction difference causes the screw terminals to loosen. This in turn causes the connection to get hot.
Copper clad alu does not solve the problem.

Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #30

Delete
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #31

Regarding Al to Cu connections....very bad idea as these metals are far apart on the galvanic scale and will generate electrolysis and the subsequent degrading of the integrity of the connections.

Lead and Copper are not far apart on the galvanic scale and hence no reaction between these two elements.

Copper plating without a sub-plating of Ni(Nickel) will allow metal migration of the Al through the plating and yield the same result of a connection that will eventually fail.

The hydraulic crimping tool that is linked to in this thread looks like a marvelous addition to my tool box.

Full disclosure: my career was spent in the interconnection industry (Amp, Molex and their competitors) and we specialized in solderless interconnection technologies.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Regarding Al to Cu connections....very bad idea as these metals are far apart on the galvanic scale and will generate electrolysis and the subsequent degrading of the integrity of the connections.

Copper plating without a sub-plating of Ni(Nickel) will allow metal migration of the Al through the plating and yield the same result of a connection that will eventually fail.

The hydraulic crimping tool that is linked to in this thread looks like a marvelous addition to my tool box.

Full disclosure: my career was spent in the interconnection industry (Amp, Molex and their competitors) and we specialized in solderless interconnection technologies.
What about simple copper clad aluminum wire. Sounds like that would self destruct. Also, how do the "Copalloy" products work?

My understanding is you need some form of electrolyte to get galvanic action, and a proper connection "should" be air tight. What am I missing?

Dan
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What about simple copper clad aluminum wire. Sounds like that would self destruct. Also, how do the "Copalloy" products work?

My understanding is you need some form of electrolyte to get galvanic action, and a proper connection "should" be air tight. What am I missing?

Dan
The only thing I know is that copper clad aluminum wire is used in limited applications and involves actual welding of the copper to the aluminum in the manufacturing process.

This type of interconnection is completely sealed to the elements and therefore the galvanic reaction does not occur.

At Amp we manuactured specialty copper terminals (Trademark Copalum) to terminate Aluminum conductors for the utility transformer manufacturers. This involved a normal copper wire barrel with a perforated sleeve and a very radical configuration "bar crimp" to force the aluminum to extrude through the perforated sleeve and generating a void-less crimp, i.e. completely sealed.

The trick is getting that interface sealed and electrolyte free.

As you point out, a proper connection would be void free, however in reality most connections are made with whatever tool the electrician had in his tool belt, especially in RV manufacturing facilities.

Don't know anything about the other product that you mentioned.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Dave, I was going from memory and got the name wrong...I think Amp had a patent so it must have been Copalum

They really put a wrench in the works introducing aluminum wiring

Dan
Old 07-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Thanks Dave, I was going from memory and got the name wrong...I think Amp had a patent so it must have been Copalum

They really put a wrench in the works introducing aluminum wiring

Dan

Actually the Amp Copalum terminals were approved as a solution to the problem of using AL wiring in residential construction.

We loaned the expensive Copalum tooling to electricians in order to re-terminate the AL conductor and mitigate the situation where the wiring was overheating and causing a fire hazard.

The electric utility industry has always favored AL conductors over copper due to the cost differential, but they always use AL lugs and splices so no reliability issues. This did not work out for residential construction and was subsequently banned. Al wiring already in place had to be re-terminated and Copalum terminals and splices were approved for that application.

A bit off subject and for that I apologize....however the history re-enforces that fact that AL/CU connections are a bad idea in an RV.

Tags
battery