Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Battery shutoff panel

I have a 2007national seabreeze 8341 and am having a problem with my battery shutoff panel. The battery shutoff switch not only turns the coach batteries on and off it also controls two light switches. The battery shutoff does turn the batteries on and off but is not powering the two light switches. I tested all of the switches for continuity and tested wires for continuity. The battery shutoff switch is a three pin, single pole, double throw momentary switch. I can test for continuity between each pin and there is continuity. for some reason all of a sudden I am not getting power from the load pin (center pin) which powers the two light switches. I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere since national has gone out of business. Can anyone help me. It's not a major problem but would like to fix it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you describe does not seem to make sense to me.

NORMALLY....the battery cut-off switch will only control the actual solenoid which does the real switching of the chassis battery. It is very unlikely that the manufacturer would combine this function with any of your 12v lighting circuits.

Now it does make sense that when the batteries are disconnected, that your 12V lights stop working. And when you "connect" the coach batteries, the light switch now get power.

Regarding the SPDT "center off" switch, I would expect to see 12v on the common contact all the time. The other two terminals are for the connect & disconnect function.

So it sounds like your basic problem is that you don't have power to the light switches. This is likely a fuse or open connection.

This is where you need a wire tracer (about $25 at Home Depot)...sometimes called a Fox & Hound.
You connect a signal source to the wire in question, then take the hand held sensor and hold it close to all of your different wires. When you are close to the wire you're looking for, it sounds a tone. Really good to help find a fuse.

Regards,

Dan

Old 08-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

battery shutoff switch

I agree with you the fact that the battery shutoff switch should not be wired to the lights howerver that is the way it was wired and did work up until a month ago. When it stopped working I removed the panel and came on so I turned it off and then back on again and it wouldn't work. The two light switches it is powering is not the whole coach lighting but two incidental lights. One light is in the ceiling over the cab area and the other switch is for the "porch light" which is mounted on the outside hand rail. the main lighting is controlled by other switches and they work fine. The problem with tracing the wires is that the wiring in question is enclosed in a wall and all that I can see are the ends at the panel. Do you know how to find a wiring diagram if there ever was one for this motorhome since they have gone out of business a few years back. It is a 2007 national seabreeze.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wire feeding the disconnect switch is just a voltage source, with multiple things powered off that circuit. The disconnect switch is one thing, and the lights are another. They should be in parallel. Powering the two light switches via the disconnect circuit enables the lights to be used even with the disconnect off (the disconnect circuit remains powered so that the disconnect can be turned back on).

It sounds like the wire from the center pin that daisy chains off to the other switches is not making good contact, so you do not get voltage to the other switches.

Maybe I'm missing something here. If you have +12v to the center pin, it should not be too hard to figure out where the voltage is "lost" going to the other switches. Or simply running a replacement wire direct to the hot side of the other switches.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brackie1 View Post
I have a 2007national seabreeze 8341 and am having a problem with my battery shutoff panel. The battery shutoff switch not only turns the coach batteries on and off it also controls two light switches. The battery shutoff does turn the batteries on and off but is not powering the two light switches. I tested all of the switches for continuity and tested wires for continuity. The battery shutoff switch is a three pin, single pole, double throw momentary switch. I can test for continuity between each pin and there is continuity. for some reason all of a sudden I am not getting power from the load pin (center pin) which powers the two light switches. I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere since national has gone out of business. Can anyone help me. It's not a major problem but would like to fix it.
Try posting in the National RV owners Forum.
National RV Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums
or
the National RV Owners Forum on Yahoo Groups, you have to join to post. Once you join look in the files to see if you can find what your looking for.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NationalRV/info
No one knows more about your RV then someone that owns one like it.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis W/Tag Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid Platinum, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Battery shutoff switch

I appreciate all of the replies.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 99 Dolphin does not work the way you say yours does. At the entry door on the left is the main house batteries disconnect that kills all 12V power. In the same place there are separate switches, one for the outside light and one for one interior overhead light. Also the switch for the basement compartments lights and slide out switch.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis W/Tag Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2017 Ford Fusion Energi Hybrid Platinum, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #8

Battery shutoff switch

Actually my sea breeze is exactly like your 99 dolphin.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe this will help. Shows where the switch is connected to your BCC. You can also call RV Custom Products to get the troubleshooting guide for your BCC, it very useful to have for problems with the BCC such as the cross charging feature. They will email it to you.

14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Volt Distribution Panel.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	104500  
Old 08-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your BCC probably has circuit breakers instead on fuses like this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006 Dolphin 12V Power Dist. Center.pdf (818.3 KB, 9 views)

Tags
panel, battery