Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
tvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto , Canada
Posts: 199
Exclamation Battery storage question 😳

We are getting ready to store the RV for the winter , COLD , Snow etc.
What to do with the battery's ???
We have the chassis battery that has a solar panel on roof to trickle charge .
And have two deep cycle house batteries.

So the question is .::: I could plug the RV in to 110 volts over winter and let the onboard charger keep things charged , and check once a month.

I could put my own trickle charger on the batteries.......

Or I could remove the batteries and put them in my basement ? And reinstall in March ?

What is everyone in cold climate do for storage ? And what's if the snow covers the solar panel ??

Thanks for advice
TVP
__________________

__________________
2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 , 26,000 lbs chassis Ford V-10
tvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
We are getting ready to store the RV for the winter , COLD , Snow etc.

What to do with the battery's ???

We have the chassis battery that has a solar panel on roof to trickle charge .

And have two deep cycle house batteries.



So the question is .::: I could plug the RV in to 110 volts over winter and let the onboard charger keep things charged , and check once a month.



I could put my own trickle charger on the batteries.......



Or I could remove the batteries and put them in my basement ? And reinstall in March ?



What is everyone in cold climate do for storage ? And what's if the snow covers the solar panel ??



Thanks for advice

TVP


If the batteries are FULLY charged, you can disconnect the negative battery cable to each set and let them rest over winter. Self discharge and water loss are drastically slowed when temperature is very low.

A fully charged battery should be able to withstand to at least -80F before freezing.

If it's convenient to keep it plugged in, you can let the onboard system keep it charged (make sure it's charging chassis battery too). You should keep checks on the RV every couple of weeks this way, because if the power goes out, onboard parasitic drains will drain the battery and they will freeze.
__________________

__________________
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
GMA385's Avatar
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Cicero, NY
Posts: 13
This is my first time winterizing our MH. What I did was remove the 2 coach batteries and brought them to my basement. I cleaned the battery terminals and checked the water level. In the spring I will fully charge them before installing back in MH. This is how I've done it on our previous TT's. I had to drive the MH to where we store it, so I left the chassis battery in. The owner of the storage facility requests disconnect the battery after its parked inside. The battery will stay with the coach. Like I said this is the 1st time with a MH so I hope we did it right.
__________________
Gary & Elaine Cicero, NY
2017 Jayco Precept 35S
No toad yet
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 202
Your best bet is to fully charge the batteries , then disconnect them. A fully charged battery will need temps in excess of -50 before it freezes. The cold slows down the chemical reaction with the acid which will increase the batteries life. In the spring connect the batteries, charge them up and your ready to go.
__________________
1993 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32'
Soppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
tvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto , Canada
Posts: 199
Question

What battery runs the Generator ? Chassis or house battery ?
__________________
2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 , 26,000 lbs chassis Ford V-10
tvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If the batteries are FULLY charged, you can disconnect the negative battery cable to each set and let them rest over winter. Self discharge and water loss are drastically slowed when temperature is very low.

A fully charged battery should be able to withstand to at least -80F before freezing.

If it's convenient to keep it plugged in, you can let the onboard system keep it charged (make sure it's charging chassis battery too). You should keep checks on the RV every couple of weeks this way, because if the power goes out, onboard parasitic drains will drain the battery and they will freeze.


I have the option to keep my Discovery plugged in all the time during storage, so that is what I do.
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2014 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 398
Turn OFF one of the battery switches,one at a time, to see which will allow the generator to crank.In my case the house batteries feed the generator starting circuit. Yours may be different.
__________________
04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,355
Save yourself some agrivation. If you have power available Plug It In.

Your Newmar is equipped to maintain both sets of batteries while plugged in. Leave the disconnect switches turned On, turn the Inverter Off (The Converter of course needs to be On) and turn the Gas (Propane) detector Off. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.
Check the water levels in the house batteries every 4-6 weeks.

It's best to have the fuel and Propane tanks fuel for storage to minimize any condensation with the weather changes.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
tvp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto , Canada
Posts: 199
That sounds like a plan , let the onboard charging system do its job , plug into 110 volt power source and check once a month
__________________
2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 , 26,000 lbs chassis Ford V-10
tvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #10
Member
 
Dbrown57's Avatar
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 64
Is it safe to store your batteries in the basement near an ignition source like a water heater or furnace?
__________________
2015 Jayco Precept 31UL stock w/9400 miles
Dbrown57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Save yourself some agrivation. If you have power available Plug It In.

Your Newmar is equipped to maintain both sets of batteries while plugged in. Leave the disconnect switches turned On, turn the Inverter Off (The Converter of course needs to be On) and turn the Gas (Propane) detector Off. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.
Check the water levels in the house batteries every 4-6 weeks.

It's best to have the fuel and Propane tanks fuel for storage to minimize any condensation with the weather changes.
Best advise from a NEWMAR OWNER I have heard so far, if its going to storage facility than remove batteries and maintain them at home.
All the links below in my signature have information for your NEWMAR. GOOD reading for the winter months.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Member
 
Dbrown57's Avatar
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown57 View Post
Is it safe to store your batteries in the basement near an ignition source like a water heater or furnace?
So from the reading I have done since I posted this it is not safe to store and charge your batteries in the basement near an open flame. The out gassing of hydrogen during the charging process could cause an explosion. So be careful where you store your batteries.
__________________
2015 Jayco Precept 31UL stock w/9400 miles
Dbrown57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 26,544
Thats correct.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown57 View Post
Is it safe to store your batteries in the basement near an ignition source like a water heater or furnace?
If you live in a cold winter climate you would be much better advised to store them in a secure out-of -doors location and forget about charging them all Winter. Why? The reaction in a lead acid storage is an electro-chemical reaction. Washing your very dirty hands is much more effective when you use warm water with the soap solution. This is a chemical reaction(like your battery) and like most chemical reactions,it takes place most quickly at elevated temperatures. Your battery needs elevated temperatures to discharge effectively. This is best illustrated by noting the slow turning of the engine when starting in very cold weather. Putting a battery warmer around the battery will allow the engine to turn over much faster.
__________________

__________________
04 Southwind 37C W22

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, storage



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Ford F53 setup .... help please 😳 tvp Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 23 08-26-2017 07:28 PM
Plugs in the breaker compartment 😳, Why? Charlandpv Newmar Owner's Forum 5 08-10-2017 04:48 PM
Battery disconnect storage question nathan55 Newmar Owner's Forum 2 12-30-2016 11:51 PM
Battery Question, Winter Storage donmacd RV Systems & Appliances 3 05-16-2015 07:01 PM
Storage bins in storage compartments? Full.Monte MH-General Discussions & Problems 10 01-01-2015 03:55 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.