Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Battery Tender plus

Has anyone used one of these? My battery runs down and I would like to hardwire this into it to to keep it charged when we aren’t using the m/h.
shem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Did you include a link?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Never used that item. We keep the MH plugged into a 30A source when not traveling! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased a Battery Minder (pictured) for times when it's parked at home storage. It also de-sulfates when on.
Plugs into 120V home ac plug.
Click image for larger version

Name:	128CEC1_3_C__14076.14502031_540x540.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	230834
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

If you go with a Battery Tender, look at the models that have a LED monitor light.......most of them want you to start with a fully charged battery..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't say which battery is going dead. I'll assume it's the cranking or engine battery since all systems charge the house battery's when plugged into shore power.

Most systems are not set up to charge the cranking battery when plugged in to shore power. Get the "Trick-L-Start ($45) and be done with it. Easily connects to the battery's and is charging the engine battery when camping.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
You didn't say which battery is going dead. I'll assume it's the cranking or engine battery since all systems charge the house battery's when plugged into shore power.

Most systems are not set up to charge the cranking battery when plugged in to shore power. Get the "Trick-L-Start ($45) and be done with it. Easily connects to the battery's and is charging the engine battery when camping.

It is the engine battery, something is drawing power when we don’t use the coach. I thought that maybe I could hard wire this battery tender so that it would charge/trickle charge when we are parked at a cc or at home. I keep it plugged in at home. But like I said there is a draw on it and I don’t know what it is.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #10

Battery Tender plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
If you go with a Battery Tender, look at the models that have a LED monitor light.......most of them want you to start with a fully charged battery..

Good to know. I have the Battery Tender plus. 1.25 amp
Charger and maintainer. I will charge the battery with my big charger.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Never used that item. We keep the MH plugged into a 30A source when not traveling! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Thank You Blessings to you and yours also.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you know the engine battery is being drained?? Here's what you need to do.

If you don't have a digital volt ohm meter or DVOM you need to get one. For about $25 get one in the automotive section at Wally World. I've got two of them and they are good.

Measure the engine's battery voltage while it's resting. That means engine off and no shore power. If it's somewhat charged it should read 12.2 to 12.6 volts. If it's below 12 then it needs charged.

Start the engine and read the charging voltage at the engine battery. It should read 13.6 or greater. If is dosen't then your alternator isn't doing it's job and needs to be checked.

Now shut the engine off and connect to shore power. Now what are you reading at the engine battery. If it's still below 12 volts then nothing is charging the engine battery when you are plugged into SP. So your RV as most RV's does not charge the engine battery when plugged in. That's where your Trick-L-Start comes into play. With that hooked up and connected to shore power you will charge all battery's.

Now back to your battery is being drained. If your engine battery is failing it won't hold a charge very long. Yes it may show that it's charging but the charge will drain quickly. That's how I noticed that my 5 year old battery's were failing. They charged but drained quickly.

You need to charge the engine battery for 24 to 48 hours then take it in to have a battery drain test done to determine if it can supply a charge of 150 or so amps for 15 seconds without the voltage dropping below 9.6 volts.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #13

This is a much better solution than the Battery Minder.

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #14

I have had a Battery Tender Plus for over 15 years. In the winter It floats between my Boat battery and my 570 ATV battery.

it spends about 3 to 4 weeks on each.

When Im going to leave my service truck (Ford E250 Super duty) for more than 4 days with the alarm on, I put the battery tender on my truck.

There is some phantom drain on my truck, no one seems to be able to find it.
If the truck goes for more than 4 days without running, the battery is DEAD!, dead. Once I measured the voltage at 7.5v. I jumped it with my other vehicle and then put the battery tender on it. it works great.

If you have a phantom draw on your truck, just get the Battery tender Plus.
DO NOT get a Yuasa battery tender, it's my understanding they tend to over heat and burn up batteries, good luck
Jmac00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery