Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery that operates slides !

I have a 2015 winnebago 27 N with Lippert /Schwintex slide outs . I do as instruction say ( motor running , level, once started slides don't stop will moving).My question is ,Does the starting battery operate the slides?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
I have a 2015 winnebago 27 N with Lippert /Schwintex slide outs . I do as instruction say ( motor running , level, once started slides don't stop will moving).My question is ,Does the starting battery operate the slides?
Probably not. Probably the chassis batteries. The motor should be running as the alternator on the motor provides charging for both house and chassis batteries.

Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the starting battery charged by shore power or generator ? I didn't know if Alternator charged coach batteries.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Check your manual. I think it states the chassis battery operates the slides as well as the steps. It also states the converter charges the house batteries. No mention of it charging the chassis battery. Section 6.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I can't swear to the 2015 Winnebago, but my '06 Itasca (Winnebago) slides operator off the engine battery. That's why the owner's manual recommends having the engine running when deploying the slides. Some other manufacturers and models may run off the house batteries.

Unless your MH has the extensive battery management system, your engine battery is probably not being charged by shore power. I added the Trik-L-Start to mine so that the engine battery is being charged any time I'm on shore power. The "battery mode solenoid" as Winnebago calls it connects the engine battery to the house batteries when the engine is running so the alternator is charging the house batteries. It is the silver solenoid to the right of the Trik-L-Start module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryRelayCharger.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	85770  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Most newer coaches operate slides off the engine batteries, per RVIA recommendations. Steps have been run from engine batteries for over a dozen years now, also an RVIA standard.

Your engine alternator charges the engine (chassis) batteries. Whether it or not they also charge the house batteries varies by coach manufacturer and model. Ditto for charging the engine battery from shore or generator - it's a model-specific feature. I don't know the answers for yours, but you can ignore what others say about their coach. You need an answer specific to yours.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
A little confusion here on what is what, Starting batteries are the Chassis Batteries, and yes these are the batteries that power the leveling jacks, and slide outs.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Probably not. Probably the chassis batteries. The motor should be running as the alternator on the motor provides charging for both house and chassis batteries.
Lostdog
The "chassis battery" IS the "starting battery"!
Mel '96 Safari
Old 02-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary RV Roamer thanks for info. I have looked at operators manuel , was unable to find that info. Maybe I should call winnebago to find info . I though that the slides may be operated by starting batteries (chassis) by what they say, to start motor home. As somewhat new to motor home life , looking forward in learning .
Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the 27n as well, a 2014 model. The engine battery powers the slides and the electric step.

It also has a trickle charger for the engine battery, or the converter charges the engine battery, although I haven't located the device that does it. The way I know, is that the voltage to the engine battery rises from 12.5 to 13.2 or so as soon as the coach is plugged in or goes on generator power.

So no need to add the Trik-L-charge device - you already have it.

There is a very complete set of wiring diagrams online at Winnebago on the support page, although they can be hard to read and interpret.

If you find the trickle charger, let me know!
Old 02-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
PS - on the 27n, the alternator does, in fact, charge the coach batteries - 2 of them - as well as the engine battery.

It seems a very well done and bullet proof electrical system.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I have the 27n as well, a 2014 model. The engine battery powers the slides and the electric step.
It also has a trickle charger for the engine battery, or the converter charges the engine battery, although I haven't located the device that does it. The way I know, is that the voltage to the engine battery rises from 12.5 to 13.2 or so as soon as the coach is plugged in or goes on generator power.
So no need to add the Trik-L-charge device - you already have it.
There is a very complete set of wiring diagrams online at Winnebago on the support page, although they can be hard to read and interpret.
If you find the trickle charger, let me know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
PS - on the 27n, the alternator does, in fact, charge the coach batteries - 2 of them - as well as the engine battery.
It seems a very well done and bullet proof electrical system.
danhannah
My Kwikee electric step ONLY uses ENGINE battery, (aka: CHASSIS battery), power for the operation of the"last out function/feature":
See: Kwikee last out feature
The normal operation of the electric steps, (with the magnetic "door switch" and the "ON/OFF step switch"), is powered my my HOUSE batteries.

BTW, after 14 years, (109k miles), with my "now 19 year old coach" I KNOW for a fact that VERY FEW RV systems/appliances/accessories are robust/reliable enough to be called "bullet proof").
IMO nobody using/driving a 2014 coach actually "knows" if anything in/on their one year old coach is "bullet proof".
Mel
'96 Safari, (137k miles)
Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #13

It seems we have some confusion on the proper names for the batteries.

The CHASSIS BATTERY handles all the chassis electrical demands. It starts the engine, runs the ECM, TCM, headlights, turn signals, wipers, dash heat and air and MAY operate the slides.

The HOUSE BATTERIES handle the house electrical demands. They power the inverter to provide the 110 VAC in the house, run the 12 VDC lighting in the house, water pump, vent fans, awnings, furnace(s) and MAY also operate the slides.

Which batteries operate what varies among manufacturers. In our Mandalay, the HOUSE batteries operate the slides. All the batteries are charged together from all possible power sources, shore, alternator or generator. All the batteries are charged all the time. I LIKE that!

Tags
battery, slide