Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Battery Tray Slide

Has anyone made a slide for a battery tray? If so, are there plans or supply lists?

konabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
I'm not certain if you are just talking the slide or the entire tray but I ended up rebuilding my battery tray in 2013 to be able to hold 4 golf cart batteries. I ended up using an Acuride slide rated at 350 pounds. This was better than what I could get from Kwikee as the most their trays were rated for was 200 pounds.

johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Originally Posted by konabob View Post
Has anyone made a slide for a battery tray? If so, are there plans or supply lists?
Fabricating a tray such as you're thinking of, is not a small task. I'm pretty sure that you know how much batteries weigh and also, the very harsh environment they exist in. Now, in many cases, such as ours in our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, both banks of batteries, house and chassis, reside in two trays, one on top of the other, in an UN PROTECTED compartment. That is, it's open to road debris, dust, dirt, and anything else kicked up by the tires etc.

While I would agree with the other poster about using the Accuride extra heavy duty full extension drawer glides, you'll have to determine what kind of environment your particular battery tray will live in. If, it's inside a clean compartment, you'd most likely be good to use those draw glides.

But, if yours is like ours, and is in the open air situation, then there's other components that are used for this situation., On ours, both battery drawers utilize (4) 1/2" wide x 1.25" tall, stud bearings, on each side. Two are mounted on the drawer and two are mounted on the side rails.

I've built many extra heavy duty trays/drawers/racks for the FD when I outfitted new fire trucks and, it's kind of a precise system to build, especially if it's going to hold that much weight. Yep, the Accurrides can handle a large amount of weight each but, the drawer itself must also be able to withstand that kind of weight too. Good luck.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You might check out these heavy duty drawer slides. They have sizes ranging from 10" to 60" full extension rated for 500 pounds. The 26" would probably be about right for your application. The prices shown are for a pair of slides.
Heavy Duty Full Extension Slide 250 and 500 lbs On Orr & Orr, Inc.

I just built three 46" pullout bay "trays" using the 36" slides. They are very heavy quality, well built, and glide smoothly.
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists"
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA
Previously '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A on a W22 Workhorse
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lt Dan:
Thanks for the link. Due to my DW's insistence I had to buy a another storage bay freezer. I put it on one end of a full length two way slide but the freezer is too high so it keeps the slide from going out on the opposite side. I need to replace the double sided slide out tray with two single side ones.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If servicing access is the goal, an alternative could be a battery watering system. One of the best things I have installed on our coach.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Trays are very nice, they allow you to properly maintain your batteries. Stuffing them in a box with a hose to water them, does nothing to help you change them out, clean terminals. or check them with a hydrometer.
2001 Volvo VNL660 Cummins N14, straight 10. 460HP holding 60MPH up a 7%.
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420. Full time VERY soon.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
I am looking for my battery bank as well. I will be going with Products
after I accurate measurements.
'08 Monaco Diplomat SFT.
Contemplating Toad situation. Four down, Dolly or Enterprise rental
singhrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by konabob View Post

If you're looking for a replacement tray, I'm told that most of these RV battery trays are made by a company called Journeyman, and are sold to numerous RV builders by Keyline Sales of Elkhart, IN. So there you go! I have done nothing other than verify their existence, I'll leave that to you, but they may be a good source for the proper replacement tray for your coach.

Good luck!

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote

battery, slide