Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Battery tray slide out, removal/replace?

I have a 2005 Winnebago journey 36g, I need to remove and clean/paint the trays. HELP ON REMOVAL, PLEASE
Tetons10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Mine are bolted in place and I've seen several brands of slide out trays available for purchase... in my case the slides were damaged from excessive battery charging and I was able to clean them up and re-use it... but I have to physically pull out the batteries first to than remove/clean/replace the tray...
Hope this helps
BTW - I purchased a battery fill bottle on Amazon to prevent over filling and I monitor the side of the batteries to make sure they don't over heat...
I use NOCO chemicals at the post to prevent gassing from the post connection doing damage to the cable ends...
Cable ends exposed to gassing will start to fail and the resistance will increase... you can see the end of the cable where it's crimped into the connector, where its changed colors and swollen from the corrosion...
Old 08-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

That's waay more trouble than I would want to go through unless the trays are unusable! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Removing my coach battery tray was a simple unbolting once it was extended and the batteries were removed. Wire brush and sandpaper on the peeling or rusty spots, good coat of rust-resistant primer and coat of hammertone finish paint to help conceal rough surfaces. Not as good as new but more than reasonable for something only I will see...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

I hope to do mine in the future, but I want to Powdercoat. The rails look to be riveted in place though.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
@vettenuts

It's possible your tray has 'catches' that can be moved to allow the tray to slide completely out although you wouldn't be able to powder coat the rails. Alternative: drill out rivets and use blind (pop) rivets to reinstall.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
If you just want the job done to stop the rust I would use fluid film from Amazon. It is a dielectric and will not conduct stray current. Pretty; your pocket book is the limiting factor.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Remove batteries, power wash, neutralize, ideally sandblast, clean, prime, repaint, lube.

Tags
ace, battery, removal, replace, slide, slide out