Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #1

Battery: Truck or Marine?

There are a ton of discussions on here about AGM vs Lead Acid, and debates about brands. I will sort that out, but i have a more simple question. I bought my 2000 Georgie Boy 35ft Land Cruisera few months back and am finally getting it ready to go. House batteries came through winter storage in great shape. Chassis battery not so good. Jump started and took it home and put on charger all day. Very little charge. Time for new one. The one in there is and Interstate labeled Marine/RV Cranking Battery. Question: For the chassis battery do i have to go with Marine battery or can i go with a good truck chassis battery specified for my F53 Chassis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
There are a ton of discussions on here about AGM vs Lead Acid, and debates about brands. I will sort that out, but i have a more simple question. I bought my 2000 Georgie Boy 35ft Land Cruisera few months back and am finally getting it ready to go. House batteries came through winter storage in great shape. Chassis battery not so good. Jump started and took it home and put on charger all day. Very little charge. Time for new one. The one in there is and Interstate labeled Marine/RV Cranking Battery. Question: For the chassis battery do i have to go with Marine battery or can i go with a good truck chassis battery specified for my F53 Chassis?
DannyD..
No need for a deep cycle (Marine) battery for chassis.. Just put a good large one in and you will be good to go!
Have Fun..
Ron

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
For the chassis you want a battery that can provide the high discharge of a bunch of amps to start. A deep cycle battery is built to put out amps, but at a slower rate over a longer period of time. Check the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating for your engine and then buy a battery that is big enough to handle it. A deep cycle battery is rated by RC (Reserve Capacity) which tells you how long it can give 25 amps at 10.5 volts or better.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Thanks! That was my best "educated guess" but wanted to hear from someone to give a little confirmation.

Aaaah! Colorado at 9200 ft. Enjoy the veiw looking down at us.

Tags
battery