Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

Battery Voltage Loss.

We used our 2003 Pace Arrow on October 6, came home, pluged in to our 30 amp service to keep ref. cold, so we could attend another football game the next Saturday. Got ready to leave on Sat. morning, so I unpluged and was ready to start the engine. Coach and chassis batteries were so low the engine wouldn't even turn over. Being pluged in, why would all batteries be run down? Thank you for any comments and suggestions.
Linch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

Check out the AC charging system to see if that is working correctly. It sounds like there is a problem with it or possibly the breakers for it.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
What age are the batteries? Did you verify your converter was putting out voltage to the batteries?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #4

For both sets of batteries to be down, you might have a full-time connection between them via the emergency start relay or the split charge system
Old 10-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

When was the last time you checked the electrolyte in the batts?

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

@wardy. The starting battery is 1 year and the 2 - 6 volt batteries are 10.
@desertranger. The 6 volt batteries were taken out 10 days ago to clean and repaint the compartment. At that time I checked the electrolyte level,(OK) and put them on a slow charge before I reinstalled. Everything worke fine the following Saturday.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linch23 View Post
@wardy. The starting battery is 1 year and the 2 - 6 volt batteries are 10.
@desertranger. The 6 volt batteries were taken out 10 days ago to clean and repaint the compartment. At that time I checked the electrolyte level,(OK) and put them on a slow charge before I reinstalled. Everything worke fine the following Saturday.
Linch23: You need to measure the voltage at the coach batteries while plugged in. You should get a reading of at least 13.3 volts or so. At ten years of age you should just replace them. But if you are not getting a voltage of 13.3 or higher then either a breaker to the converter has popped, the converter is bad or the re-wire somehow was not done correctly. If you're not confidant in the re-wire you could disconnect the red wire leaving the converter, reset all breakers and read the voltage on the converter terminals. If the voltage is high (say above 13.6 but likely even higher as this is an open circuit reading) then it's not the converter. Let us know.

The starting battery: Well if it's a typical maintenance free flooded cell (inexpensive) then it could be dead after just one year. Starting batteries are great for providing high amperage for short bursts. However starting batteries do not fair well when deeply discharged such as what can happen if the coach sat for periods of a few months. Even while not in use the starting battery provides current to the engine electronics plus normal self discharge. Do you know if the starting battery has a Battery Tender or the like to keep it topped off when plugged in?

BTW: A slow charge for the coach batteries is not ideal. In fact an equalization (higher voltage) should be done every 3-6 months depending on use. Sometimes you can resuscitate deep-dischage-flooded cell batteries with this type of recharge.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

Time for new 6 volt batteries. In a commercial application batteries are about 5 years, if your batteries were taken care of I can see 7 years of useful life.

I would look for a vampiric drain for the coach battery or make sure the coach and house are disconnected/disconnect able.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #9

Thank you for all your info, it's greatly appreciated. I will be getting 2 new 6 volt batteries. After 10 years I got great use out of them, better than average. Like on the farm, when you have a maintainence program things last longer, but not forever. I'll be going over the RV when he harvest is finished. Again, Thank You.

Tags
battery