Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Batterys go dead

Hi Bob here I have a 2005 fleetwood 37D. Batterys keep going dead pluged into shore power. Coach batteries go dead first get know readings off of fresh water grey water black water or propane gauges. house batterys will start loosing voltage also. can put charger on batterys will bring batterys back to normal. drove coach from denver to cincinnati did not have any trouble starting coach. batterys only seen to go down when plug in to shore power. any help would be appricated thanks bob @ bobsshop
bobsshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Does your coach have a combination converter/inverter?

The converter portion is responsible to keep your house batteries at full charge when shore power is present but may not keep your engine battery charged. To charge your engine battery when shore power is present, you can use a Trik-L-Start unit that will keep your engine battery charged at all times.

If you do have a converter and it doesn't charge your house batteries at all, then it needs to be serviced.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your thread from the IRV2 Issues forum (which is dedicated with problems with our website) here to the Class A forum where you'll get the proper audience.

Some questions come to mind.

How old are the batteries? Have you checked their water level?

What type on on board charger/inverter do you have? Are you using an external charger?

Have you checked the voltage readings when the batteries are charging and when they're not?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You have only two sources of battery charging - the engine alternator and the house converter/charger (or inverter/charger, if equipped). The house charging system is the only thing that charges from shore power - or from generator either, for that matter. It sounds as though it has failed and isn't charging at all. You didn't mention the coach brand name (Pace? Expedition? Bounder?) but several Fleetwoods of that era used the WFCO brand of converter/charger and they tend to die after a few years. Maybe yours is one of them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #5

Hi bob here thanks for replying to my question. Coach is fleetwood bounder with a Zantrex freedom 458 charger / inverter. have replaced both coach & house battries coach battries 2 years ago house battries 4 years ago. inverter was replaced under warranty in 2006. Thanks again
bobsshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #6

Simply turn on your aux battery switch and leave it on. It bypasses the isolator and keeps both house and coach batteries fully charged all of the time.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

If you don't have one the first thing you need to do is purchase a inexpensive digital multimeter. Radio Shack is everywhere and they have one for less than $20.00. Harbor Freight if you have one is even cheaper. That will give you a tool to trace where you do and do not have power in your electrical system. It is difficult to give good troubleshooting help if you can't give us feedback on what you are finding with your meter. After you have checked all your AC breakers and 12v Fuses take a look at your inverter/converter and see if it has a couple of circuit breakers on it that could be popped.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

On the control panel for the inverter/charger, how does it respond when you push the charge button?
Does the inverter work when you are not plugged in?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #9

It is obvious that none of the people who have posted have any idea what they are touting. In TN we call them manual addicts. I repeat...turn on the aux batt switch and ignore all of this stuff. Don't spend another dime.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

I have a 1993 Airstream Land Yacht with fully sealed batteries. I have never had a problem. Your Fleetwood, even though they went broke, shud perform just as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsshop View Post
Hi Bob here I have a 2005 fleetwood 37D. Batterys keep I batteries go dead first get know readings off of fresh water grey water black water or propane gauges. house batterys will start loosing voltage also. can put charger on batterys will bring batterys back to normal. drove coach from denver to cincinnati did not have any trouble starting coach. batterys only seen to go down when plug in to shore power. any help would be appricated thanks bob @ bobsshop
I have the same coach. I had the converter replaced last year and so far have had no problems.
Pig Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #12

Buki, would you please explain how you turn on the AUX switch? Mine is only on when you hold it, other wise it's always off.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The BIGGEST problem is with the different terminology used between RV manufacturers. An AUX Battery switch on one brand coach may do something entirely different than on another brand coach.

Therefore, it you don't have the same brand and model coach, then you are giving incorrect advice to the OP.

I learned that just recently in another thread where some Fleetwood RV's use the AUX Battery switch to accomplish what in other brand coach's may call the "salesman switch".

Not one size fits all in the RV world.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem in my 2005 FW Storm. I replaced my WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics IntelliPower converter and the batt's still drain down while on shore power. The only other suspect here is the Battery Control Center which has some kind of control circuit board and charge relays. I am taking my Storm to a Fleetwood dealer and let them figure out the problem. To note, the house batt's charge just fine off the alternator while engine is running and the new converter works as per manufactor's specs. I will report back when the FW dealer figures this one out.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote