Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to gmccausland
Batterys not charging house or coach

Boondocking and I have an issue that I would like to ask this group for some help on.
When on Generator, we have 110 volts and all the outlets work but the batter voltage on the intellect does not show charging from the inverter/battery charger. Test of leads from INverter show 13 volts but panel only shows 8 or 10 volts sometimes lower.

Same occurs above on shore power (Simulated with external generator)

Under engine alternator/generator power, all works as it should. Batteries charge, panel shows 14 volts to batteries etc.

I am suspecting one of the post transfer switch relays, but before attacking thought I would ask this group. Seems we all have the same problems just at different times.

I have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar with Onan Diesel Generator and a 300 Cummins Engine.

I look forward to your help and thanks to all in advance.

gmccausland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you measure the charging voltage at your batteries?
Here are some links to help with the understanding of your battery system and 12v wiring and fusing.
Your battery cut off switch is on also so batteries will charge.
Have you checked the wiring connections in transfer switch for loose wiring.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi gmccausland,
I'm with 007. Consider checking the actual charge volts directly from the battery terminals. If the batteries are actually charging, as they should, you'll need to determine where in the measurement (not charging but measurement) circuit something has broken. If the batteries are not charging, then you are looking in the charging circuit for where the volts are being lost.

I do not think the problem is with the transfer switch. The TS deals with only 120 VAC. If the inverter/charger has 120 VAC incoming and the outbound volts are not correct, the inverter/charger may be suspect.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, charging