Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #1

Battle Born vs Trojan Trillium li-ion

I am trying to decide which Li-ion batteries to go with on our 2108 MAPD.
The Trojans are 110 AH vs 100 on the Battle Born but my cost here in BC for the Trojans is 28% more for the Trojans! I would be putting 6 units in to get 660 AH or 600 AH. The Trojans would come from a local long time distributor here in BC and the Battle Born would be shipped from Ontario (I allowed for freight in the cost). With the BB's any issues I would have would require us to ship at our cost both ways to BB.
Trojan tells me that their battery can take up to 15amp/100 AH at 14-32 F so I could charge at 90 AH from my Xantrex 3012 at a temperature we would likely never see. Trojan says as long as the alternator does not put out more than 14.6 amps there would be not issues with the alternator.
There are lots of u-tube etc on BB but very little on the Trojans, any one used Trojans yet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
KJR

I haven’t seen any reviews on Trojan lithiums either. There is another company out of Utah that provided their lithiums to a Canadian YouTuber that may help.

https://youtu.be/Dn8FjrIuavE

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
I haven’t seen any reviews on Trojan lithiums either. There is another company out of Utah that provided their lithiums to a Canadian YouTuber that may help.

https://youtu.be/Dn8FjrIuavE

KJR
Watch this before you make a decision

Old 07-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Disclaimer: I'm still using flooded batteries.

But researching lithium, one thing that sticks out about the Battle Born is low temperature protection. Since my batteries are under the entry steps, they're more outside than inside. While I rarely camp with more than overnight freezing, when driving the battery always gets charged from the alternator. So driving in sub-freezing temps for any length of time could cause problems. It's not something I'm likely to encounter, but I might, and I don't want to even think about it. I have plenty of other parameters to monitor.

So when the time comes, I've decided that the battery should have built-in low temperature protection. I think a couple other brands have it (Renogy? Lion?), but not certain, so do your own homework.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #5

According to my conversations with Battle Born, the BMS in each battery will cut off charging at 24 f, and cut off discharging at -4 f.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM   #6

So what did you go with? I went Trojan trillium
birdgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Check the UL listing on the batteries you are considering. There are two different UL standards - one for personal devices (like your phone) and a much more rigorous one for built in applications such as cars, airplanes, motorhomes, etc. My understanding was that Battleborn had not achieved the more rigorous rating although that may have changed.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

How much are the Trojan Trillium batteries? I know the BattleBorn are around $950.
bertschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Watch this before you make a decision

Actually other than the stated amp hours that is a very complimentary review. They have a very well made BMS and use Prismatic cells which are lighter weight and have less connections that could potentially fail.

More importantly, they are now shipping an updated model the UT 1300 which is actually rated at 105AH and you can be pretty sure they are being more conservative this time around.

You should look for Will Prowse's teardown of these batteries, Lion actually has it posted on their website

At $734 a battery with a weight of 23lbs and a lifetime warranty, they're worth a closer look
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
At $734 a battery with a weight of 23lbs and a lifetime warranty, they're worth a closer look
Where are you finding these batteries for $734? Their website shows them at $999.
bertschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #11

PdbBlue - You might want to look at X's 3 of these:

200AH Low Temperature RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery | LiFeBlue Battery

These are specially augmented to handle colder temps. If you do not feel you need the colder temperature batteries, you can save some money by getting X's 3 of these:

200AH RV Boat Lithium Ion Bluetooth Battery | LiFeBlue Battery

But for $105 more per battery, having the lower temp capability is not too much more money...

I like the Smart Connect remote monitor capability of these.

If upgrading to Lithium today, I'd go with with X's 4 of the cold temp 200's, or possibly X's 3 of the cold temps 300's... (Have not decided if we want to power one AC unit of the battery bank or not. If we do, I'd go with the X's 4 200's as they would yield 150A more continuous discharge capability. (With a slight mod to our cabinet space, I might squeeze in X's 3 300AH's and X's 1 200AH's - so the final pulling of the switch will determine which way I go!) (And heck, if this is a few years from now, who knows what other tech/batteries will become available!)

BatteryPro (Larry) at Starlight Solar, is a good source to network with on reviewing your needs, vs what is available, to help you choose a path forward. Also be sure to think out your planned charging approach to whatever battery you choose, including if you want Alternator (While driving.) charging capabilities, and or solar. Think out the total system, even if you do them in phases...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote