Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Bay door latch broken

2007 Essex with a broken latch to open bay door. The latch handle pulls up but will not unlatch the bay door. How can I open bay to repair the latch?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If it is a pass through compartment, open opposite side, clear out the gear and stuff in compartment and crawl through the compartment to the other side. There you can remove the latch cover plate and get the lock opened for repairs. Otherwise you will have to find a good body shop that has some tools and experience in gaining access without damaging the door or coach body. Good luck and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #3

I had this problem on my Newmar and I thought I was going to have to crawl in from other side. Got under the broken side with a flashlight and got a screwdriver (thin) and just tripped the latch and door came open. Really simple. About half my bays don't go through, so there has to be a way to get in or it could get ugly breaking in. Took me about 5 minutes once I got going. Then you can fix latch.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Was your door in the locked position when you were able to open it from underneath with a screwdriver? I have a Newmar too. Thx
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

No it was unlocked, but felt like it was locked. The Handel would no move. But I could move the striker latch with the screw driver and get in. My coach was only about a month old at the time.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't have a Newmar and sure you tried this - but sometimes an little bump or two with the hip or knee will be enough to get an unlocked bay to open. I hate to even suggest it but often times the simplest answer flys out of mind at the first sign of trouble.

Good luck - and hope the rest of the New Year is smooth sailing.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I had this problem on my Newmar and I thought I was going to have to crawl in from other side. Got under the broken side with a flashlight and got a screwdriver (thin) and just tripped the latch and door came open. Really simple. About half my bays don't go through, so there has to be a way to get in or it could get ugly breaking in. Took me about 5 minutes once I got going. Then you can fix latch.
Got the door open finally. What can make the lock break ? Call Newmar for replacements?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

The bay door was only opened about twice when this happen, and never locked. I was still in the arranging and loading process. It was just a defective latch. I took it back to the dealer and replaced it my self with a new one they gave me. Had to adjust several of the latches as some were loose also. I though I was going to have to take the whole rig in at first to just to get it open. But the screw driver did the trick. My coach sets inside all the time so I rarely lock them. Even on camping trips I rarely lock them all as I camp in very remote low crime areas. And they are a pain two lock and unlock all the time. The electric bay door locks would be a nice feature. A must have on the next rig.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like others used a thin blade screwdriver and depressed the latch pin from underneath. Hope this helps...if not post a picture maybe somebody would have your style and they had the same happen to them. :-)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am going to assume it's a Tri-mark latch system.

Slide under the coach with a small and I mean SMALL flashlight and if you look just right you should see the latch striker bolt in the bail of the latch.

Now, I used a set of curved forcepts, but any curved tool should work, Press the bolt up and open the door. Let it close but not latch and get out from under

now open the door, being sure to catch the pieces as they fall out (one or two) dissassemble the latch DO NOT LOOSE THE SPRING.

If you are in upstate SC come see me and we can fix it, bring some quick setting epoxy with you (JB Weld is good This is not the fix-stuff (We are not going to glue it back together) but it helps to keep things scrure.

IF you are not near me.. Take apart another latch, one that is still working and take the striker bolt to a good metal smith and ask him to copy it but in better metal (Steel works) Have him make several copies.

I can fix 'em but it's a lot of work, and takes an angle grinder.

When I'm done the weak point is steel.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaxey View Post
Got the door open finally. What can make the lock break ? Call Newmar for replacements?
You can buy them from anyone that handles TriMark latches/plungers.
Yoy can buy metal ones that are guaranteed for life from HERE
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I am going to assume it's a Tri-mark latch system.

Slide under the coach with a small and I mean SMALL flashlight and if you look just right you should see the latch striker bolt in the bail of the latch.

Now, I used a set of curved forcepts, but any curved tool should work, Press the bolt up and open the door. Let it close but not latch and get out from under

now open the door, being sure to catch the pieces as they fall out (one or two) dissassemble the latch DO NOT LOOSE THE SPRING.

If you are in upstate SC come see me and we can fix it, bring some quick setting epoxy with you (JB Weld is good This is not the fix-stuff (We are not going to glue it back together) but it helps to keep things scrure.

IF you are not near me.. Take apart another latch, one that is still working and take the striker bolt to a good metal smith and ask him to copy it but in better metal (Steel works) Have him make several copies.

I can fix 'em but it's a lot of work, and takes an angle grinder.

When I'm done the weak point is steel.
Thanks for the info. I think I can purchase a new latch and with this help I can give it a go. More later
Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #13

I located a self threading bolt the right size and used it to make threads in the pin hole. I then used another bolt screwed into the hole to replace the pin. You then have to cut off the head of the bolt.