Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Bearing replace both or not ?

Just picked up motorhome and had both rear bearings replaced, rear brakes, fluid etc. Ready for fall trip to New England . They said one side was bad I insisted on replacing both bearings. I can't decide from the comments if that was wise ?
2004 HR Gas 54,000 well cared for miles
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #2

Yes, cheap insurance and piece of mind.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #3

Because coaches sit so much of the time , there are very small spots on the bearing that take all the load while parked , condition we used to call " box car" because brand new cars could get the condition from the rail car ride.

Yes you did the right thing .
If your coach is on a Workhorse chassis , did the servicing shop fill the full floating wheel bearing housings properly ?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

yep 8.1 It was a Workhorse dealer seemed like they knew what they were doing. They did give me the option of doing just one. He did show me the sight glass I explained that doing my own oil changes may not have been the right thing to do. But now I know what to look for. Very clean shop and actually had it finished before quoted time. That's a first for me>
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

The floating hub refill procedure, includes tilting the coach for a time so gear oil from the center flows to the hub , refilling the center with oil then tilting to the other side , before the final fill .
Gear oil will wrap on the axle to get to the hubs but if the bearings are installed dry the gear oil can arrive to late to prevent damage.

I hadn't heard about site glasses on the rear ??
Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #6

sight glass on the hub correct Thanks for the schooling I hope he filled correctly I have done cars before .I was little unsure about the motorhome .Looking back I wished I had tried.
I could not find a utube and just starting a trip made me want to get it over with.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

If it's already in the shop, why not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massanutten View Post
Just picked up motorhome and had both rear bearings replaced, rear brakes, fluid etc. Ready for fall trip to New England . They said one side was bad I insisted on replacing both bearings. I can't decide from the comments if that was wise ?
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #8

I would want to know the cause of the failure, then base whether to do the other side on that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #9

You did the right thing! Preventive maintenance will keep you from having to sit on the side of the road!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #10

I ditto it was the right thing to do. Failed bearings can put metal contamination into the oil, so unless you’re unable to get 2 sets of bearings and seals, changing the fluid and the other side was wise. I would as well.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
What's the difference of cost between one side or both?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
yep 8.1 It was a Workhorse dealer seemed like they knew what they were doing. They did give me the option of doing just one. He did show me the sight glass I explained that doing my own oil changes may not have been the right thing to do. But now I know what to look for. Very clean shop and actually had it finished before quoted time. That's a first for me>
There are sight glass on the front hubs but I have never seen any type of sight glass on the rear axle. Any chance you could post a picture of them and where they are located
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #13

I had a old zero turn lawn mower. The right drive sprocket teeth wore to the point that the drive chain would jump off the teeth several times a mowing. During the winter I figured out how to disassemble, new shaft, bearings, chain and sprocket while I had it apart. Thought about doing the same on the left drive too but it looked OK. Late spring the left drive went out!
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #14

This summer we drove our 2017 F53 Canyon star from VA to Vancouver BC and back, 6446 miles round trip. We did our aunal beach trip to NC about 660 miles round trip. When we got home i noticed fluid leaking from around the right rear tire. Puzzled, I looked closer. There was a puddle of what smelled like gear oil in the wheel, and splattered radially around the wheel. Is that seal problem?
I don't have a HD Jack to take the hub caps and wheels off....

Should I call Ford? It should still be under warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
TEH4PWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace