Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Rich and Cork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,052
Remember, it is a dry heat.
__________________

__________________
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Member
 
asodergren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 71
We were just in Vegas. We have a 42' Travel Supreme with two 13.5k roof air conditioners, sun screens for the front end, blackout shades in all other windows, and window awnings on all side windows. We also ran two table fans on high. We had to leave Vegas after 24 hours. Get the hotel. You'll wish it was only 100-110 in August.
__________________

__________________
2007 Travel Supreme Insignia 42DS04
2013 Sprinter Passenger Van TOAD
2013 Victory Vision on Hydra Lift
asodergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
B Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,162
American Eagles are fine coaches with good insulation like ours. We have an R20 roof. We will be staying in Las Vegas the night of Aug 1. Let me know if you are going to be there at that time.
__________________
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I have to be in Vegas in two weeks. I have an 02 American Eagle with 2 a/c units. I have a reflective shield for the from window that really helps when temps hit the 90's. Since I have never been in that kind of heat(100-110 or higher), will we survive in the coach or should I not even try and get a hotel?
We currently have a reservation at the Las Vegas Motor Coach Resort.
Has anyone been to Las vegas in August and stayed in their coach? What was it like?

Thanks for the input.
Jake
We spent two miserable nights in Las Vegas this June. If you stay in the motorhome, don't take a site that faces west. Even with the padded foil and sun screen in the windshield, the motorhome would not get below 85 degrees inside in mid afternoon. This is with both AC's running full blast! The motel sounds like a better option!
__________________
DeeMaann11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
American Eagles are fine coaches with good insulation like ours. We have an R20 roof. We will be staying in Las Vegas the night of Aug 1. Let me know if you are going to be there at that time.
We will be in Vegas until the 2nd. We are going to try the Motor Coach resort and let everyone here know how it goes. If we have to move to a Motel, i am sure there are a few rooms available in Vegas.

J
__________________
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
LeeB's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 1,325
Don't forget to try and NOT have the Fridge in the afternoon sun.... Good Luck...
__________________
2004 Itasca Meridian 34H Being Pushed By A 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS, Feel Free to stand in front of them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 536
As others said, keep your blinds closed, and use your awnings if you have them. Also, you can get foam blockers for your skylights -- they help maintain temps in winter or summer.

As to the A/C, yes leave it on, but not set too low. Your inside coils will ice up (maybe not as big an issue in dry Vegas), and the units need time to defrost now and then. They will work better set at 75-80 degrees than if you try to set them at 68 -- they'll be trying to do the impossible 24/7.
__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
As others said, keep your blinds closed, and use your awnings if you have them. Also, you can get foam blockers for your skylights -- they help maintain temps in winter or summer.

As to the A/C, yes leave it on, but not set too low. Your inside coils will ice up (maybe not as big an issue in dry Vegas), and the units need time to defrost now and then. They will work better set at 75-80 degrees than if you try to set them at 68 -- they'll be trying to do the impossible 24/7.

Not true. Your coils should never ice up. If yours do, then you have a a/c problem.
__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Not true. Your coils should never ice up. If yours do, then you have a a/c problem.
Maybe so, but I'm basing my comment on my experience with two Class A's, and I've seen the same problem cited by many others. The best solutions I've heard to avoid icing are:
1. Run your fan on "high" all the time -- moves more air across the coils.
2. Keep your filters clean.
3. Don't set your thermostat unrealistically low.

Since I've learned to follow those steps, I've had much less (but not zero) icing problems.
__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Maybe so, but I'm basing my comment on my experience with two Class A's, and I've seen the same problem cited by many others. The best solutions I've heard to avoid icing are:
1. Run your fan on "high" all the time -- moves more air across the coils.
2. Keep your filters clean.
3. Don't set your thermostat unrealistically low.

Since I've learned to follow those steps, I've had much less (but not zero) icing problems.
There should be a thermal probe stuck in the evaporator coil grill, when your evaporator coils reach an icing condition, then this probe calls for the compressor to kick out. That's the way ALL A/C s work. You probably have a faulty probe or refrigerant problem. Anyway, I would refrain from offering such advice when you don't know if the OP has YOUR type of A/C problems.
__________________
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
There should be a thermal probe stuck in the evaporator coil grill, when your evaporator coils reach an icing condition, then this probe calls for the compressor to kick out. That's the way ALL A/C s work. You probably have a faulty probe or refrigerant problem. Anyway, I would refrain from offering such advice when you don't know if the OP has YOUR type of A/C problems.
Great, thanks for the advice -- I know I'm not an A/C expert, and you clearly know more than I do.

However ... nothing in my advice would cause the OP, or anyone else, any harm. Last I knew, this was a forum for sharing experience and tips -- that's all I'm doing.

Have a nice day.
__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 735
Funny thing is the when I picked up the coach they had the generator on all night and the a/c' set really low. The front a/c was iced up but melted pretty fast when we turned it on fan only. Had to put some towels down on the floor to catch the melt off. We haven't had a issue since but I try to keep the DW from putting them down too low

I think in Vegas that the AC's will be running full time regardless of what temp we set them to.

Jake
__________________
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
MoBlue's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ozarks
Posts: 186
We were at LVMC Resort last August at 110-116 dregrees . They're really nice folks. Have them upgrade you to a well landscaped (big trees ) site. It will help immensely.
__________________
2012 Dutch Star 4020
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 536
LVMCR is the nicest park we've ever stayed at, bar none. A bit pricey, but worth it. More Prevost's than I've ever seen in one place ... we felt like the po' folks in town. Everybody was very nice, though.
__________________

__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.