Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Funny thing is the when I picked up the coach they had the generator on all night and the a/c' set really low. The front a/c was iced up but melted pretty fast when we turned it on fan only. Had to put some towels down on the floor to catch the melt off. We haven't had a issue since but I try to keep the DW from putting them down too low

I think in Vegas that the AC's will be running full time regardless of what temp we set them to.

Jake
Another problem A/C.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #30

Will the air conditioner overheat and blow the circuts in that heat???

Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #31

We often travel to Las Vegas in the summer. Two of our girls graduated UNLV and one still lives there with her family. Sometimes we take the MH, if we are staying more than a few days, but for short trips we hotel it. Expect daytime temps in the 110 range, which means the heat coming off the ground will exceed 120. Nights will only drop into the 90's so there is little chance that the ground will cool much. With all your windows covered and darkend you can expect your air units to drop the temp by about 20 degrees (average for most MHs). My friends have a 45ft Monaco and they do much better than I can, obviously allot depends on the MH.
I'm affraid you might find it really hard on the dogs. Sure they will be able to manage the temp in the MH but when you walk them it can be really hard of the paws.
Also check with the RV park (I've never stayed at that one, though I know it is nice, used to be an Outoor Resort) and make sure their power is secure. A power failure will toast the animals. CircusCircus RV park (I think it is now a KOA) used to post that brownouts in their park do happen, and pets should not be left unattended!!!!!
There are quite a few extended stay type motels/hotels in that same area that might be pet friendly, just a thought.
With luck you will not endure some of the hottest days that Las Vegas and the surrounding desert can throw at you, but then again, Las Vegas is all about luck.
Happy Trails.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jake,
I live near Austin, TX. We have a 32" class-A with 2 x 13.5k BTU units that are more than 12 years old.

If you can find shade and keep the MH plugged in (no engine running) - you'll do fine. We keep ours under cover (aluminum roof) and just running one AC unit on a 20A circuit keeps it quite cool.

Driving it down the road in 106 degree heat is another story... but our Class-A has crappy insulation up front. It may also be another story if boondocking and having to run the genset.

We've just done 2000 miles with an 80 lb dog. The midwest is killer hot right now and the only time we're uncomfortable is on the road, but we're down to one AC unit due to a mechanical issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We just returned from a trip to Indiana. In the afternoon it was brutal it was so hot. We have 2 15 btus in our old Eagle, its fine until the afternoon the temp outside said 108. The breakers got hot and flipped off. Hubby had teased me about all the "junk" I carry. But in that junk was a nice little 2 fan window fan. After I opened the solid door under the bed to the breaker box and put the fan on no more issues. This is the first time we have used it and I couldn't believe how hot it was up there, just miserable. It was hot for about 4 hours in the afternoon the rest of the day is fine.

I am going to put window film on the windows for more insulation, we closed the blinds and that helped some but not enough. Never seen it that hot up there.

Hubby is taking the panel out of the door over the breakers and putting a grid in its place, then some vents and a small fan. We will only need it in brutally hot weather.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spent three days at the Circus Circus RV lot when it was 113 degrees every day. It's like a big asphalt parking lot.

Pull the slides in during the day and keep the A/C's going. I think you'll do fine.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Funny thing is the when I picked up the coach they had the generator on all night and the a/c' set really low. The front a/c was iced up but melted pretty fast when we turned it on fan only. Had to put some towels down on the floor to catch the melt off. We haven't had a issue since but I try to keep the DW from putting them down too low

I think in Vegas that the AC's will be running full time regardless of what temp we set them to.

Jake
Some rigs like ours have sensors in the heat pumps that detect a freeze up and go into heating mode for a few minutes to remove the ice.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pfeifer View Post
Will the air conditioner overheat and blow the circuits in that heat???
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the rig and condition of the breakers (old and worn - probably, new, maybe not). Depends on how much juice you try to suck through them and how they react to heat.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #37

Landed on Mars. 105 outside and now 77 inside and falling. Of course it is 7pm. We have total afternoon shade so I will update tomorrow on how if goes. So far so good.
J
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #38

We beat the heat no problem. It stayed under 70 degrees inside. Outside it climbed to 100 a day or two, but we got lucky that it was mostly upper 90s and not 110 and above.