Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
Beating the Vegas Heat

I have to be in Vegas in two weeks. I have an 02 American Eagle with 2 a/c units. I have a reflective shield for the from window that really helps when temps hit the 90's. Since I have never been in that kind of heat(100-110 or higher), will we survive in the coach or should I not even try and get a hotel?
We currently have a reservation at the Las Vegas Motor Coach Resort.
Has anyone been to Las vegas in August and stayed in their coach? What was it like?

Thanks for the input.

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
My opinion would be to start the engine early in the AM and head north at the posted speed limit until cooler temps were found. I'm from Havasu so I know about heat. Presently in Wyoming and not going south til October.

stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
I need to be there for 5 nights.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
I do love my motorhome, but for the money your paying at VMCR, I'd stay at one of the Hotels ................. try www.hotels.com
On The Road since 11/19/05 And Lovin It
2006 Mountain Aire 3778 Worhorse W-24
5speed Allison being pushed by 2011 HHR
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
we also have two dogs. So if we stay at a hotel, it would be the La Quinta hotel. I would rather have the amenities that the resort offers as long as we don't have a dry sauna for a motorhome.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jake. I'm the guy you met in Santa Fe who introduced you to IRV2. Since We left there around Memorial Day we have camped in 100 plus degree days for over 35 days. We're now in upstate NY and it's 76 today. Anyway we survived. You need to keep the shades drawn all day and get the Coach as cool as you can early in the morning to get a head start on it. IMO , you'll be fine in your American Eagle.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jake21. Living in Vegas and using the MoHo in local places such as Lake Mead it is possible to enjoy your coach in our summer heat. First keep the A/C on 24/7 and realize that the temp will climb during the day. My basement air will keep my coach in the 80-82 range in the heat of the day (no shade) if i start at 76 in the early a.m. Second, keep the awning(s) out as teh shade on the side helps a lot. As stated above. Keep the shades down on the sunny side since the sun load is what kills your HVAC. If possible find a spot with as much shade as possible.

We travel with two dogs also and have had no problems with the heat by following the above.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
We spent 10 days in Vegas during the month of August. The daytime highs averaged 115 degrees. The front of the motor home was a little warm due to the sun on the windshield, otherwise we did just fine.

T. J.
boge513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Hi Jake 21, if you have dual pane windows in your coach and have both AC units running you should be OK.

We live in Vegas and leave our coach with dual pane windows parked in our driveway under the hot sun when not in use.

We leave both AC units on with T-stat set at 84 degrees when we're not in it and it holds an inside temp around 82.

When loading it for our trip to WA state we set the T-stat down to 76 and it cooled down just fine when outside temp was 115.

Another advantage is, we have outside solar screens on all the windows of our coach which helps blocking some of the heat.

Hope you enjoy your Vegas visit, fortunately we're now in Birch Bay, WA enjoying much cooler weather.

Best of luck and safe travels,
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
As others stated, keep it like a dark cave with EVRYTHING closed and leave the air on 24/7. If you have TV equipment in the front cap, like receivers, keep the cabinet doors open and cool air hitting them. The DirecTV boxes get hot.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Personally I'd prefer to book a hotel in that heat, but it is possible to survive in the MH.

-> Like the others said keep everything closed up from early AM onwards with AC on from the start.
-> Use reflectix on the front window AND an outside shade cover (if you have one).
-> Try to park in a spot with front windshield AWAY from afternoon sun -> the front windshield is a massive greenhouse warmer. In hot spots we save alot of heat by parking it away from afternoon sun.
-> Take advantage of any and ALL shade!! If you can get a spot w/ shade, absolutely do it.

You can reasonably expect no more than 20 degree cooling from your ACs.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Jake, my rig is similar to yours and we are OK in 110 degrees. At mid-day in 110 degree heat we can cool the interior to about 76-78, but no cooler. After the sun drops lower we can get as cool as we want. We have window awnings all around and the big patio awning deployed. We do supplement the roof airs with the bedroom ceiling fan and use a small room fan to blow cool air from mid coach to the windshield area, which does not have enough roof vents. Strongly suggest you carry a quiet room fan. Our dog prefers the RV to a hotel any day!
2002 MCI E4500 bus conversion by American Coach
Detroit S-60 12.7
LA-HODAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Thanks for all the responses. We are going for it. I have the reflector insulation from home depot ready.

Hi Clifftall. Good to see you responding also. Thanks for putting me onto this site. The iPad app is great. Perhaps our paths will cross soon. We are back in santa Fe at the end of August and then onward to Texas and points East.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
They do make sun screens for the front windows that attach to the outside with suction cups so they stand off the window a bit. And they make a difference. I use mine when I have to park with the front window facing the sun.

Here's one: RV Sunscreen | No More Snaps, Drilling or Climbing

'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote