Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #1

Beaver Contessa wall construction

Hello, we have a '93 Contessa with a couple of problems: 1) driver side mirror screws failed due to moisture and 2) backup camera system failed

re: mirror...... moisture got inside wall and softened the wood backing for the screws. I need to replace but don't know how the side/wall is constructed. it's almost impossible to get behind it under dash. anyone know what's inside? Also the 2 lags that hold main awning leg to side of RV just outside bathroom have pulled loose, probably similar issue.

re: camera..... would like to replace system but wonder if there is any way to run cable from front to back on a finished Beaver?

Thank you for any thoughts.... jg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Wood & Camera

I would try some Get-Rot and a syringe on the rotted wood. Might be just a band-aid but it did work on my boat when I had problems with some of the wood I could not replace.

The camera cable can probably be reused. When my camera system was replaced, I found some adaptors to fit the old cable and new dash monitor. That way I did not have to figure out how to run new cable. Check with the new system manufacturer and see what they offer.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #3

The mirror on my 04 Discovery would shake to the point i could not see anything in it. Added a Alum. back plate about 6"x6" No more shaking. This will work for you, not hard to do and looks good, if you need more info i can take a picture and post it.

P.S. screws and good double sided tape will mount it well.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

Mirror fix

Thanks for your replies!

@Sundancer... I broke down and ordered a replacement camera system and hopefully I can do what you suggested by finding adaptors. If not, may have to find an electronics person to figure out the wiring pinouts.

@gio.... like you I do want to put a backing plate in, however, my problem is the "back" side is inside the wall, between the outer skin of the RV and the inner plywood/carpeted wall of the cab near driver. The whole "sandwich" is approx. 3" thick. I can't get a saw or anything down there to cut a hole and expose the wood backing because of the dashboard and it's wiring. That's why I wondered if anyone knew more about the actual wall/skin construction on a typical motorhome.

My only hope on the mirror seems to be to drill all the way through from outside-in, use long machine screws and a backing plate on the Inside of the cab. It's in a spot where the plate and nuts/washers won't show unless you're looking for them.

Thanks again for your responses,

jg
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

before you drill all the way through. google 1/4-20 well nuts. they are used to hang the mirrors on large trucks
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #6

Wellnuts

Thanks for the tip! I looked at some of them online and it's a possibility. I need to look at the mirror attachment surface again. The well-nuts have a flange that sits above the RV wall surface so there may need to be a recess in the mirror; otherwise, it won't sit flush on the sidewall. Great idea though and I hadn't heard of them. Also easy availability locally.

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Jeg
The backing plate is on the outside of the wall, between base of mirror and outer wall of Rv. Made of polished alum. , no one knows its not part of the mirror. About a one hour fix.

Tags
beaver