Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
Beaver Renovation Cabinets and Flooring

Hi, all! My husband and I just purchased a 2008 Beaver Contessa and we would like to have most of the cabinets painted white and in some cases, stained darker. We're also looking to have a new wood looking tile floor laid down. Has anyone contracted a professional cabinet painter to paint any cabinets? And the tile would seem straightforward, but we were wondering how far behind the kitchen cabinets, etc. the current tile goes and how they would handle getting in there? Are there companies that specifically do these things in RVs? I'm an interior designer, but totally new to the quirks of RV renovations! Thanks for any help!

savvy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
To do it right I imagine you would need to remove all cabinets and doors from the coach and then have them sanded down completely before painting, otherwise the paint wouldn't adhere and eventually start coming off. Same with re-staining. You would have to sand off the original finish down to bare wood to get the wood grain to accept the new stain evenly. If you don't the stain would come out splotchy or streaked. Yes, you could have someone come in, take the doors off and repaint, tape and cover the complete interior of the coach and spray paint the cabinets frames but I don't think you would be happy with the results. In my opinion this would be a very costly renovation if done correctly. I would be very suspect of anyone that said they could do the job quickly and at a low price. Just get several opinions and estimates before jumping headlong into this.

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel U320 4010
Cummins ISM 450hp
Allison HD4060R 6 Spd W/Retarder

Bruce & Teresa
2000 Foretravel
U320 4010
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Thanks, Bruce and Teresa! I know it is definitely labor intensive with removing all doors and drawers and hardware, then sanding every last inch before priming, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, etc. It'll take a good long time to get it done right... and a pretty penny I'm sure! I'm almost scared to get quotes! Haha! Just wondering if anyone had painted their own (the right or wrong way), and could offer some experience... or if anyone had any work professionally done. I guess that's why you don't see many (or any) with nicely painted cabinetry. Eek!
savvy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Don't do it unless you intend to keep the coach forever. Beavers are noted for their cabinetry and when you ruin it with paint, the party is over.

If you do it yourself, it will look like it. If you pay someone to do it, it will be expensive for sure.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I painted the white kitchen cabinets when we built our house. The cabinets were installed after the sheet rock went up on the walls. I didn't even mask off the walls, just installed plastic on the floor to keep the paint off so it wouldn't affect the tile adhesive going down later. I removed the doors, drawer fronts, hinges and slides. I sanded the cabinet boxes, face frames and doors and drawers with 150 grit, then primed with an oil base primer. I sanded the primer with 220 grit and shot the color coat. This was in a basically empty house and not only was it a tremendous amount of work, it was a PITA that made a huge mess with over spray and paint dust covering everything.

I think it'd be an even bigger project in a motor home. My kitchen probably had more cabinets, but they were large boxes. A motor home is full of small, odd shaped boxes and you will want to protect everything that's not being painted. It's also in a very confined space which will make the whole process much more difficult.

Don't scrimp on paint. Buy a high quality paint and either buy 5 gallon pails or mix smaller quantities together in a 5 gallon bucket so you get a uniform color.

I bought a professional quality airless sprayer. Even though the hand gun was fairly small, it was still difficult painting the inside of some of the cabinets and they weren't nearly as small as some of those in a motor home. It's difficult to get even coverage without creating runs and sags in the interior of a cabinet.

End grain sucks up paint and looks different than the rest of the wood. Priming and sanding are extremely important to get an even coat on all surfaces.

We went through a lot of sand paper.

Mask off everything you don't want painted. We used paper designed for masking and thick plastic drop cloths. The paper was a lot easier to deal with.

Good luck if you take on the project yourself.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Don't do it unless you intend to keep the coach forever. Beavers are noted for their cabinetry and when you ruin it with paint, the party is over.

If you do it yourself, it will look like it. If you pay someone to do it, it will be expensive for sure.
I have to agree with Don. In the 'Beaver' community, the interior woodwork is considered to be the trademark of the Beaver line and painting it would be considered blasphemy. I do realize that everyone has different taste and I respect that. But if you alter the wood, you chance being in a position to never be able to get a decent price for your coach if you sell it. Just something to think about. For any renovations, I hear Elite R & R in Harrisburg OR is very reputable and knowledgable with the Beaver coaches ( think it is owned and operated by ex-Monaco employees) and may be able to help/advise.

In any case, welcome to the Beaver community!
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat
2011 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4WD
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
hears what i known monaco woodwork the finish was hard. sanding did not do anything.
finsh was deep in wood. we scraped all finish then sanded. spent 30 days 3 people
looks great. went from honny oak to red mahogany
painted a truck camper came out very nice we sanded then painter with a small
roller. finish was not hard
now doing a coachman and we are using gel stain and degloser no sanding
thats working very good
i can post pics if you want.
also i would try in a small place first say inside of a small door or trim piece
good luck john
99 coachman catalina mbs-334
5.9 275hp dp
kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I owned a Beaver and the woodwork was outstanding and what they are known for.
I respect your wants to change it but be ready for a 30% to 50% reduction of value when you want to sell it, and you will want to sell it. Sell it because you really don't like the life style or sell it because you want bigger,better,newer, but sell it you will.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hey, if you want them white...go for it! I've spent the last few years in real estate and ocassionally had to encourage homeowners to update their kitchens to make the home sellable. A very cost effective way to upgrade was to paint the cabinets rather than tear out and replace. In every case, my clients hired a professional.

The pros pull the doors off and then prep the cabinets in place. The prep work was the key. They even painted the insides, sealing the cabinets even better than they were before. The pros use a sprayer and really high quality tough paint. They tape and put up plastic...so no over aspray. When it dries it is bright and tough. They shot the doors in the garage on sawhorses.

The vast majority of the time, the contractor upgraded the hardware. You don't have to spend a lot on new knobs....Home Depot and others have 10 packs of nickel finish for about $1.50 for each knob (it's real easy to get carried away on new knobs...and you usually need a bunch!). Just pick a knob that uses your existing holes.

I highly recommend you search out a painter with kitchen cabinet repainting experience and go view his work....his clients will be proud to let you view his work if he did good.

Regarding the flooring...Ernie Ekberg (here on this site) is a great source for flooring answers.
'07 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PRQ ("Elvis"), and our 2012 CRV toad
B52Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
My solid cherry wood cabinets looked tired (approx 30yrs old). Took doors and draw faces off. Cleaned and did a light sanding. Colored in the worn edges etc with color matching felt tip pen (put it on and wipe till matches) and used Minwax Wipe on Satin Poly (2 coats). What a difference and saved tons. Did it a couple yrs ago and still look great.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
One more who says I agree Beavers are Known for quality cabinets and shiny Finish you will decrease the value of the coach by painting substantialy but Knowing that fact , It is your coach

2003 Beaver Marquis

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote