Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Beaver vs Monaco

Still shopping for the right new to us DP. I thought we had pretty much decided that we were looking for the best deal we could get on a 2002 - 2006 Windsor. The front runner being the 2006 with 400 Cummins. Then yesterday the salesman at a dealer we stopped in at had a 2005 Beaver Monterey with 400 CAT C-9. We were both surprised that we liked it, other Beavers we had seen were pretty "Gingerbreadie".

Anyway thought I'd ask for some opinions from you guys on the major differences, plusses and minus' on these two models. Mostly concerned with engine, body, paint, chassis issues. OK have at it, I know you guys will be more than willing to help a newbie out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

They are both Monaco's under the skin. The chassis are very similar with 8 shocks/air bags. No sure if the Beaver is a side radiator design or not. The side placement is less prone to getting dirty and the engine is more accessible. I personally prefer the Cummins ISL because you get a real engine compression brake instead of an exhaust brake that the Cat has. The Windsor also has front disk brakes and the Beaver is all drum.

It's time to look at new tires soon on either coach so I would check the build dates on the tires.

Some Cummins ISL's in that time frame were subject to a pretty serious wrist pin defect. The block of serial numbers is known by Cummins so if you get the engine number you can call Cummins & find out if that coach has an affected engine.

I think over all the Windsor was a little higher in the model line up. The Beaver cabinet work is beautiful however.

In those years Monaco built coaches in both Indiana and Oregon. It is generally felt that the Oregon coaches had more consistent quality control.

Sorry about the rambling reply. It's getting late & I'm shooting from the hip.

Good luck & safe travels,

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Steve,

In this case the Beaver has new tires, stamped July 2010, and side radiator. The Windsor was made in Oregon. I'll be checking the engine number and brakes. A relative that spent his working carreer maintaining school busses likes the CAT better. He said he spent a lot of time repairing oil leaks in Cummins, not so much on CATS.....?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The true Jake brake is an option on both motors. ISL's and C-9's both have either exhaust or jake brake also Jake makes a exhaust brake so be sure of what you want and what you are getting. Either coast are upper end and I would get the one that had the floor plan and options.

LEN
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
They are both Monaco's under the skin. The chassis are very similar with 8 shocks/air bags. No sure if the Beaver is a side radiator design or not. The side placement is less prone to getting dirty and the engine is more accessible. I personally prefer the Cummins ISL because you get a real engine compression brake instead of an exhaust brake that the Cat has. The Windsor also has front disk brakes and the Beaver is all drum.

It's time to look at new tires soon on either coach so I would check the build dates on the tires.

Some Cummins ISL's in that time frame were subject to a pretty serious wrist pin defect. The block of serial numbers is known by Cummins so if you get the engine number you can call Cummins & find out if that coach has an affected engine.

I think over all the Windsor was a little higher in the model line up. The Beaver cabinet work is beautiful however.

In those years Monaco built coaches in both Indiana and Oregon. It is generally felt that the Oregon coaches had more consistent quality control.

Sorry about the rambling reply. It's getting late & I'm shooting from the hip.

Good luck & safe travels,
FYI... I would recomend air actuated drum brakes 100 times over Air actuated disc brakes... much less maintenance and much 'less' that can go wrong vs. benefit of ABS and disc tech. Beaver's were 'High-End' coaches for there time. My engine (3176) is a 10.2 liter that evolved into what is now the Cat C-9 and it does not leak a drop of oil after mild use for 20 years.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #6

A good friend has a 2005 Monterey and loves it, I have a 2005 Santaim and really like mine also. To learn more about Beaver Motor Coachs, check out the Beaver Ambassador Club at Beaver Ambassador Club they very nice coaches.

Good luck with your decision.
jgard489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #7

Turn1Fan - your profile doesn't say where you live and your email doesn't explain your plans for the MH. I live in the west and cross significant mountain ranges fairly often, and sometimes in winter. Lots of long, steep grades up and down.

I have a Beaver with the big Cat, as I wanted the tag and the torque. For me it was essential that it have a Jacobs brake and I liked the ABS, but if I lived in the east it would not have been that important. Think about how you will use the coach both from a living and a driving perspective, and inform yourself.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #8

Beaver Coach

I traded my Beaver last year for a country coach. I had the 325 hp cat in the beaver and to tell you an honest story, I never had any problems with the beaver.I had it for 5 years and 22,000 miles and it performed flawlessly. I had one problem with it while I owned it. It had a rear radiator and I t plugged up and I had overheating problems. It was plugged up on the outside from road grime. I sprayed the entire radiator down with degreaser and power washed it and degreased it again and rinsed it all out and ended my heating problem. I puchased a country coach and I have been plagued with problems, mainly electrical problems.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Guys! We bought the Beaver tonight. Should be picking it up next week. The dealer has some detailing and minor repairs to make. We are looking forward to getting on the road some this summer.

@distaf, we too live in the west and were concered about having plenty of power for hill climbing. We were able to road test on some good local hills and everything worked out great going up and down.

Happy Trails
Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #10

Congrats on your purchase of the Beaver, I personally think you will enjoy your new coach.
jgard489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #11

Well done. We have been very happy with ours, it is a bit expensive to roll one of these but it sure makes traveling comfortable.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #12

I love my Monterey. I think you made a good choice.