RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Bed slide: which side?

Hello Everyone,

I am in the research stage of deciding what floor plan to purchase for my motorhome. Any reasons to have the bed slide out on either the patio side or the driver's side?

Thank you for any advice,
Tony

tony z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony z View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am in the research stage of deciding what floor plan to purchase for my motorhome. Any reasons to have the bed slide out on either the patio side or the driver's side?

Thank you for any advice,

Tony

Patio side you can control some of the noise at your head.

RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

Patio side, easy to store chairs underneath the slide out of the rain, particularly when the wind comes up and you have to bring in the awning.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #4

Personally I don't care which side it is. What I DO offer for your consideration is the fact that while traveling and doing the boon dock in a rest area or Wallymart, you often only find a spot where there is limited space and protection on one side.

What you don't want is the bed slide sticking out where a tired trucker is going to pull in at 3 am. So you try to put it on a curb side or an end spot.

And, you very often only have one side to slide out, and keep the other side "smooth". due to space constraints.

So NOW look at layouts and see which one will work. In our coach there's a kitchen and bed slide on the left, and a HUGE wall slide on the right. So either I extend the wall, OR I extend the kitchen AND the bed. Now, the kitchen is heavy and it's the dubious Schwentek, so I operate that as little as possible. Plus, the wall is on the right where I can often find a curb in the direction of travel. And, the door is then on the protected side.

So, most times I pull over to the right and open the wall slide. It gives us all the room we need and again, usually we can find a spot to make that work.

Food for thought.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
Patio side, easy to store chairs underneath the slide out of the rain, particularly when the wind comes up and you have to bring in the awning.

I think the OP is referring to the bed, if there’s two slides, still patio for me.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never thought about it. Never had any issues with slideouts on either side.

Our bedroom is on the passenger side and our livingroom is on the driver's side. Have stayed in over 300 RV parks and all was fine.

A couple were tight but that's to be expected.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJR. View Post
I think the OP is referring to the bed, if there’s two slides, still patio for me.

Yes, I realize he was referring to the bedroom slide, so was I....curb side provides convenient storage shelter when the awning is in.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #8

Our coach has 4 slides, two in the bedroom and two in the living room. I did a couple of years of research and revised my requirements in many areas before choosing our particular chassis, engine, transmission and floor plan as we were going full time and hoping to cut the cord as much as possible.
I seldom camp in any commercial campground if at all possible and never in a place with "Resort" in the name or a place that spells Campground with a "K."
When deciding on the bedroom floorplan we chose to have the head of the bed on the curbside with a small window on each side next to our heads for fresh air and cross ventilation. We don't like to sleep with A/C on relying only on a small fan if necessary.
The opposite slide is a closet with no windows which blocks intrusive noise, light, cigarette and campfire smoke from inconsiderate neighbors.
On the rare occasions when we must park in close quarters or when, like now, we have to concern ourselves with keeping snow off the slide toppers we can extend any or all of our slides and still have access to the entire coach.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Our coach has 4 slides, two in the bedroom and two in the living room. I did a couple of years of research and revised my requirements in many areas before choosing our particular chassis, engine, transmission and floor plan as we were going full time and hoping to cut the cord as much as possible.
I seldom camp in any commercial campground if at all possible and never in a place with "Resort" in the name or a place that spells Campground with a "K."
When deciding on the bedroom floorplan we chose to have the head of the bed on the curbside with a small window on each side next to our heads for fresh air and cross ventilation. We don't like to sleep with A/C on relying only on a small fan if necessary.
The opposite slide is a closet with no windows which blocks intrusive noise, light, cigarette and campfire smoke from inconsiderate neighbors.
On the rare occasions when we must park in close quarters or when, like now, we have to concern ourselves with keeping snow off the slide toppers we can extend any or all of our slides and still have access to the entire coach.

What he said
Old 02-22-2019, 04:35 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I prefer the patio side:

1) Less noise
2) Space to store stuff out of the rain, but on the patio (grill is a nice fit)
3) Depending on the coach, eliminates a slide over the electric and water bays

Snowbird campgrounds really pack them in. Having the head of the bed a few feet from the edge of someone else's patio would be a big (potential) problem.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDJR. View Post
What he said
What they said and NO window over the head of the bed...cold or hot and increased noise and makes for a difficult emergency exit. No window was a requirement in our "new" MH and it does not have windows on either side of the bed slideout BUT it does have a 12V ceiling fan and a LARGE window on the other side...much easier to get out in an emergency as it's tall also. With no windows in the bed slideout it makes no difference which side it's on... our's is on driver's side and another slideout on passenger.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Another two slide bedroom, and don't care which side the headboard is.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I never really thought about it, but our three DP's had the bed on the passenger side.

Now that people mention it, I often put the chairs under the bedroom slide at night. We like the windows on both sides so we get the cross breeze and we can control how much. With the windows on both sides, you can look out over your patio area and often see someone at the front door of your coach. The other one let's you see any activity at the back of the coach.

On a rare occasion we might overnight in a parking lot and we make sure the bedroom slide is extended over an area where someone can't drive, which is typically the passenger side. Lastly, sliding out toward the driver's side does put you into the neighbor's activity area if the sites are tight.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #14

In the event of a night time visitor if on the patio side and you have the small cross ventilation windows, you can have a peek at who is knocking on the door. Turn on entry lights to get a better look and communicate through the small window if not comfortable opening the door.

Our one experience was when we were in bed and big storm warnings to take shelter were out. Someone was going around waking everyone up with the warning and we were able to answer quickly through the window.

Tags
slide