Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Bedhead slide: Curb or street side, pro & cons?

As we consider which floor plan we want this time (we want tag axle, bath 1/2), we wanted to ask forum members their pro & cons for which side the bedhead slide is better: curb or street?

Our current DP (Journey 36M) the bed is parallel with length of coach and we have not had any issues with that placement, in fact, we like having good sized nightstands each side, and clear access all around the bed.

Just looking at floor plans on-line, it almost seems it might be difficult to reach the head of the mattress for changing sheets, and /or night stand top surface area is narrow? Also, does having windows at each side of bedhead in slide interfere with sleep (too much light, notice outdoor/neighbor noises)?

Thanks for sharing your experience and any tips we should consider for bedhead slide placement.

Safe travels to all

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

We have a king bed. It can't be parallel to the coach!
Whether on the port or starboard slide is determined by the layout.
Sheets are not a problem for us, but not a snap to do. Worth a bit of effort for a king Sleep Number. You may want to see how easy it is to lift the top mattress corners.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
As we consider which floor plan we want this time (we want tag axle, bath 1/2), we wanted to ask forum members their pro & cons for which side the bedhead slide is better: curb or street?

Our current DP (Journey 36M) the bed is parallel with length of coach and we have not had any issues with that placement, in fact, we like having good sized nightstands each side, and clear access all around the bed.

Just looking at floor plans on-line, it almost seems it might be difficult to reach the head of the mattress for changing sheets, and /or night stand top surface area is narrow? Also, does having windows at each side of bedhead in slide interfere with sleep (too much light, notice outdoor/neighbor noises)?

Thanks for sharing your experience and any tips we should consider for bedhead slide placement.

Safe travels to all
I call what you have the north south bed ... I hate the sideways beds ...

I like to sleep with my head up..and its easy to just park that way..
Old 04-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unfortunately most floorplans include the bed within a slide (either side). Many are not including a king bed and if they do- there are no night stands or small ones. I prefer to have the bed's head board against a wall with no slide so that you can have a king size plus big nightstands. The one in our Sightseer 35-J is very comfortable.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
On our coach...

We have the head of the bed on the street-side. There is a window across the aisle from the foot of the bed that looks out over the patio. That's a better view out the bedroom window than a "street." In addition, we try to park/camp [when possible] with the patio-side to the east, so that the afternoon sun is shaded over the patio. If the bedroom window was on the opposite side, we would have a lot of late-in-the-day heat coming in the window and warming up our bedroom.

YMMV,

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #6

I've had both & really don't have a preference as long as it has a good mattress.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you're asking a good question, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker on a floorplan. Our coach is a 40' bath and half with a tag. It came with a king size bed that had the headboard on the curbside. When we get up in the morning, we always make the bed together. I have a bad back and with the king bed in our new coach, there was very little space to move. Our previous coach, a Monaco Diplomat, had the same set up with the headboard on a curbside slide. It came with a queen bed and plenty of space on both sides. A month after delivery of our new coach, we pulled out the king bed and installed a queen. We now have plenty of space to make the bed, but also to comfortably climb into it.

Some other things to think about, but not huge considerations. We occasionally camp at a section of beach in California where the campsites are along the highway that accesses the beach. Consequently, anyone with a headboard in the street side slide have their slides (heads) protruding out close to traffic. Another thing we're accustomed to is that we have windows on both sides of the slide by the headboard. I can look out the window and see if someone is in my camp or at my front door. My wife can see if anyone is behind the coach. The windows by our head over the past 11 years (both coaches) have been fine for circulation and not an issue with sound (double pane). We've always had a single window at the foot of the bed which is good for circulation and allows us to look at what's beside us, since we know what's on the other side, our patio. (Security issues).

I doubt you'll find many new coaches, in the size you're considering, that will have a north/south bed, so I you'll probably looking at a decision on which slide the headboard will be in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately our rig has a king bed, it eliminated a window and night stand on the DW's side. We've been told they can add the window and I know we can change the mattress and platform. Need to get the MH back from Cummins so we can finish loading and make some changes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

I like the slide on the passenger side, if you are at a place with close neighbors that get up earlier than you, you don't have them right outside of where your head is.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeHappy View Post
I've got the head end on the curb side slide. It's a bit of a reach to get to the head corners to put on fitted sheets, and DW doesn't like to do it, but I just slide the whole mattress away from the wall to get those corners, then slide the mattress back against the wall and do the foot corners. It's not really a problem.

The day/night shades do a pretty good job on the side windows that are above the nightstands. There's a little bit of light that gets in under the fraction of an inch gap at the bottom of the window, but it does get pretty dark. If you're the type that must have absolute dark to take an afternoon nap you might have an issue, but it doesn't bother me and probably wouldn't bother others. In the morning, if we're parked just right, there is occasionally a thin pencil beam of rising sunlight that makes it through the gap between the string and the slot for the string in the day/night shade, and if things are just right it shines in your eye. The solution is to move your head half an inch and it's not a problem anymore.

Being on the curb side, having the windows there makes it just a little easier to be disturbed if you have particularly noisy neighbors, but I've never had that be a problem at a campground. The only time it's been an issue for me is at a dog show when the neighbor has 25 barking dogs right outside the bedroom window at 6:00 AM (the end of quiet time at a show.) Maybe having the head on the curb side would help, but then that puts the bigger window staring at the neighbor's setup, and I'd prefer to have the big window at the foot of the bed facing my own setup.

While there is a slight downside to the side windows, on a nice day it's wonderful to take a nap with the side windows open and just the day shades down so you get a pleasant breeze blowing across you. (Of course, the DW would call it an annoying draft but I think it's a wonderful way to take a nap. )

There's some pros and cons, and personal preference might come into play, but while many features of the floor plan are a big deal to me, which side has the head of the bed and whether there are side windows is not a big deal to me.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a 2015 Meridian 36M and opted for the queen bed, instead of a king bed, so we would have plenty of room to walk around it! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ And we love the bed located on the back wall facing forward. Hate the sideways beds. Most MH we saw with king beds give you very little walking room, small or no night stands and it was difficult to make the bed. All reasons we chose a queen bed.

Good luck on your search.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of king beds make reaching the headboard for putting on fitted sheets a bit of a chore and seldom have any real table space but we really enjoy our sleep number bed and the room it gives us and our big dogs.

So far we think the bed slide on the driver's side seems to work out best. When we wally-park and such we put the length of the coach along a back wall/edge of the parking lot allowing us to extend the bed and living room slides away from traffic and we can exit the coach as normal.

We have windows on each side at the head of the bed. Never been a problem for any reason except if it is real cold and the wind is blowing. We then can feel a tad bit of cold but nothing that is aggravating.

We wouldn't give up a king bed for nightstand room but that is a personal choice.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
I've had both & really don't have a preference as long as it has a good mattress.
Same here. Besides, when the lights are out, you can't tell the difference anyway.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on Sky Boss. Our queen bedhead is in a streetside slide. It came to us that way, but we like it, and for the same reason. At any parking lot overnight we put the driver side against a curb so we can extend both LR and BR without endangering or inconveniencing anyone.

As to bed size, I know several folks who bought new Newmars that came standard with a king, but had it downsized to a queen just for the floor space.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide