Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beef up the F53 frame

Looking to beef up the frame on my 2018 F53 frame.I want to tow about 5600-6000 pounds. It’s rated at 5k. Anything be done or am I just out of luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is more involved than the frame. You also need to look at the engine, suspension and brakes. The frame manufacturer has design limits on all of the components.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford sets their tow ratings on lots of things - transmission, differential, brakes, engine, and frame all work into the rating. You can tow a bit heavier than the rating if you do not exceed your GCWR. So load it up and go to the scale. Your GCWR - coach weight = what your real tow weight can be. Might even be less than the 5000 lbs stated but you won't know until you do some weighing.

Your best bet is to get a lighter tow vehicle or a bigger coach then you are not pushing the limits.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
NXR

Download the "2018 Ford Motorhome Owner Manual" PDF online: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...CA_03_2017.pdf

On pages 49 and 50 find your GVWR and see if they offer that towing capacity in your GVWR. If you have the 22,000 lb chassis you may be able to figure out the differences. That's what I have and it has three towing capacities as shown in the picture. I, of course, have the 5,000 lb chassis and I have no idea what the difference is between the three. Interestingly, they all seem to use the same rear axle gear ratio but I have no idea if the actual gears are the same strength.

HTH,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GCWR.PNG
Views:	97
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	259831  
Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Download the "2018 Ford Motorhome Owner Manual" PDF online: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...CA_03_2017.pdf

On pages 49 and 50 find your GVWR and see if they offer that towing capacity in your GVWR. If you have the 22,000 lb chassis you may be able to figure out the differences. That's what I have and it has three towing capacities as shown in the picture. I, of course, have the 5,000 lb chassis and I have no idea what the difference is between the three. Interestingly, they all seem to use the same rear axle gear ratio but I have no idea if the actual gears are the same strength.

HTH,

Ray
I believe the numbers you are quoting are for the F59 commercial chassis, not the F53 motorhome chassis

Here's a link to the 2018 F53 class A chassis brochure:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

Note there is only 1 tow rating for the 22,000 lb. chassis, and it's 4,000 lbs.

Here's a link to the 2018 Ford towing guide:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

Page 28 covers the F53 and F59 chassis. Note the towing capacities of the F53 chassis match those in the class A brochure.

The towing capacity of the F59 chassis matches the schedule you posted, complete with the 2 identical ratings listed for the 22,000 lb. chassis
Old 09-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Personally, I would not do it. As Ken stated, there's much more involved than just the frame. I would not chance making such a change that could seriously damage your coach.

You may not be able to tow what you want to, but safety is more important than wants that jeopardize that.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

There's a difference here between the GCWR and the rating of the coach's hitch receiver. One could tow a vehicle that is over the hitch rating but under the GCWR, in which case you wouldn't be putting an undue strain on the coach's running gear.

I have coach on a 24,000 pound GVWR chassis with a 30,000 pound GCWR and a 5000 pound hitch rating. So even if loaded to GVWR and towing 5000 pound car I'd still be 1000 pounds under GCWR. However whether the chassis is structurally capable of supporting a higher rated hitch and load is an interesting question.

Anyway, loaded my coach weighs 22,500 pounds and my toad, loaded and including the towing rigging, weighs just under 5000 pounds. So my total is 27,500 pounds, 2500 pounds under GCWR. Theoretically the drive train can handle another 2500 pounds of toad. But as I said, could the chassis support pulling the extra load?
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patraveler84 View Post
Looking to beef up the frame on my 2018 F53 frame.I want to tow about 5600-6000 pounds. It’s rated at 5k. Anything be done or am I just out of luck.
I am not telling you what is right or wrong but we have have class A coaches for the past 24 years and everyone was used to tow an enclosed race car trailer with a weight between 8000 and 10,000 lbs. and every compartment stuffed full. I always took them to the same shop and had them build a hitch and secure it to the frame properly.
I understand what people are saying about other factors to consider and they are valid.
First coach 77 Georgie Boy, 440 Chrysler motor, third year towing with it the crankshaft broke in half. I replace it and towed with it another 2 years.
Second coach 1988 Georgie Boy, 460 Ford motor, end of 3rd year towing with it burnt a hole in one of the pistons. Replace it with a reman engine and used it another year or two.
Third coach, New Gulf Stream 34’ V10 Ford, towed with it 7 years without one single issue.
Fourth coach, New Gulf Stream 32’ V10 Ford, towed with it for 6 or 7 years with zero issues.
Current coach, 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X, Cummins 350hp diesel second year with it and love it. Had to replace the turbo shortly after we go it but that was an existing problem.

On my V10’s I changed the oil and filter every 2000 miles because I know I was doing more with it than it was designed to do. They are GREAT engines.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

no beefing required for the F53 frame but you might want to take a close look at the receiver rating and if there is a “frame extension” made by the coach mfg
and of course.... the gvwr and gcwr
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I believe the numbers you are quoting are for the F59 commercial chassis, not the F53 motorhome chassis.
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ray
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone. Love the responses but I need to clarify. My coach is 26000 lb I have dual receivers to distribute the tongue weight evenly. My Jeep is 3900 curb weight. I tow 4 wheels down. I also tow 1100 lb golf trailer that includes the golf cart. Weight actually will be 5200 lbs total towing weight if I am calculating correctly. With Jeep on the ground My towing weight is reduced. Is that correct? Yes It a triple tow. Exceeding the limit by 200 lbs. With the dual receivers I Thinking I okay.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Everyone. Love the responses but I need to clarify. My coach is 26000 lb I have dual receivers to distribute the tongue weight evenly. My Jeep is 3900 curb weight. I tow 4 wheels down. I also tow 1100 lb golf trailer that includes the golf cart. Weight actually will be 5200 lbs total towing weight if I am calculating correctly. With Jeep on the ground My towing weight is reduced. Is that correct? Yes It a triple tow. Exceeding the limit by 200 lbs. With the dual receivers I Thinking I okay.
Godbless on the dual tow, I have enough issues with one.. If you are worried about the 200 lbs, then dont.. IMO

The 4 wheels down is key to impact on the tow hitch BUT the main concern is proper braking..

your combined weight is important..

Manufactures play with ratings to normally be on extra safe side..
My old 96 mini winnie C class as the ford manual and white tag with a rear axle rating 96xx , the Minne mod tag had it at 7800 with the front 4600 to give me 12400.. combined 16800..
I am at 11800 with gear,fuel and people.. I have a 7K GVW trailer 16ft.. The math does not work,, I run from 4400-5300 on trailer depends.. So I am still close BUT OEM Hitch is rated at 3500... Tossed it for a 5500 and I added some gusseting and "metal" to the 50 inch frame extensions in the class c,,
Again they are on the REAL Safe side...and if you see the rear add on frame you would scratch your head..
I do load trailer to keep and even load and a tad light on tongue to ease up on back of RV...much like towing 4 wheels down LOL
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
You might want to check with your DMV before proceeding any farther. A quick check of towing laws doesn't list Pennsylvania as a state that allows the combination you are proposing.

It might be legal under certain circumstances. Those circumstances (like many other states that allow double towing) may include a provision where the first unit being towed must be attached to the tow vehicle by a fifth wheel style hitch.

Many states also require an additional certification on the drivers license. Wisconsin is one of the states that only allows the combination to be towed with the first unit being attached to the tow vehicle by a fifth wheel. Wisconsin also requires a license certification. In addition the combination is limited to certain types of roads (four lane or larger limited access highways) and must be broken up within a certain distance from the exits.

Be sure to check out your states regulations. The fines here can range from a minimum of $300.00 to $2,500.00 depending on the location and severity.

As a side note I used to travel between Madison and the Illinois state line on an almost daily basis. It was not uncommon to see a combination such as you are proposing either stopped by the State Patrol, or sitting in a weigh station being disassembled. The weigh station I passed is no longer functional, but I do still occasionally see combinations being stopped along the side of the road.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:

A tow hitch with a 5000 pound rating is just that. It only means the hitch is capable of safely supporting a 5000 pound load. Now your motorhome may or may not safely tow 5000 pounds. It all depends on your scale weight of the fully loaded motorhome and the scale weight of your fully loaded toad. If you chose to exceed those limits then you are liable for all of the consequences.

Tags
frame, f53