RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Beefing up my Tiffin A

I think I know the answer but would like some feedback

My Class A has a 5k rating with a 500lb tongue weight with a class 3 hitch

Can I beef that up with a class 4 receiver so I can tow 7500k

Thanks

patraveler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I think you'll find you will be over the weight on the overall rig if you go much higher. Depends on how much weight you are carrying too.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did not realize that. I still new to all this that why I asking. So I need to look at reducing the overall weight. I guess I need to weigh the MH and see where I stand. I plan is to put a swivel wheel on the back. Tongue weight will be 500lb with a golf cart on it. Going to pull my Jeep behind. I donít want to ruin the MH. Thatís why I looking at going to a class 4
Old 07-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

You’re gonna have to look at your frame. Most manufacturers lengthen the Ford frame by welding on their own steel rails to the end of the ford chassis to get whatever wheelbase they’re looking for, and then mount the hitch to that. If they didn’t design their frame addition to trailer more than 5000 lbs, then it doesn’t matter what hitch you put on there.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Frame, brakes, engine, transmission, etc all come into tow rating.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....."vsheetz" brings up a point some new owners miss. When Tiffin built your coach, engineers had already allotted what that F53 chassis could handle. They took into consideration the frame size, springs, brakes, engine, transmission and cooling system. Once all that is computed, they determine what your coach can carry in passengers and cargo. They also computed what the coach could tow by giving you a gross vehicle combined rating.

You can cheat some of these ratings if you're lightly loaded and under the cargo capacity.

Doesn't the swivel wheel help with the tongue weight? What is your total weight of the Jeep and golf cart?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 AM   #7

I would be very concerned as to the max of your transmission.
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My golf cart about 1000lb. Standard cart. Jeep weight is about 3900 lbs. towing it 4 down so the weight should be less. Swivel wheel goes on 2 additional receivers and is on 2 wheels. If I thinking correctly that weight is distributed evenly across the frame so it should not be an issue. Swivel can accommodate towing of 6000lbs according to mfg. when I ask mfg about towing capacity they stated no problem they have installed on many class A.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
With 2 added receivers towing the Jeep with a braking system will work BUT the amount of increased tail swing will be a interesting... watch out gas for pumps and other vehicles when maneuvering.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patraveler84 View Post
My golf cart about 1000lb. Standard cart. Jeep weight is about 3900 lbs. towing it 4 down so the weight should be less. Swivel wheel goes on 2 additional receivers and is on 2 wheels. If I thinking correctly that weight is distributed evenly across the frame so it should not be an issue. Swivel can accommodate towing of 6000lbs according to mfg. when I ask mfg about towing capacity they stated no problem they have installed on many class A.
Asking many manufacturers for recommendations is like taking advice from a politician. Example I have had some motorcycle lift makers say I could mount it on the back of a TT or 5th wheel. We're talking about a 900# Harley-Davidson on the lift. Truck salesmen will tell you anything to sell a truck. Towing has vertical and lateral limits. While the Jeep doesn't add much vertical weight while flat towing, it still weighs 3900# plus the weight of the towing gear. Don't forget the weight of the base plate, tow bar, cables, etc. So now you have a motorhome with a 5K towing capacity pulling a swivel wheel, golf cart, and the toad. If you have added a bike rack to the Jeep, put tools or get in the Jeep, that all adds up.

You'll see all kinds of contraptions going down the road. Some safe, some definitely a hazard. You are wise to ask pertinent question BUT ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #11

I personally wouldnít do it. For starters, as previously noted, your carrying capacity will be reduced. My bigger concern, were it my coach, would be if involved in any kind of accident. Owner made modifications to tow more than the manufacturers limit (who must adhere to a myriad of safety regulations) is ripe for all kinds of lawsuits. I just donít think itís worth the risk, but thatís just me.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
vwd

I also own a 36ua and fully loaded it ways 24300 lbs. You would be right at your combined capacity rating and with the high tongue load would probably exceed the rear axle rating. I already run 112 psi in the rear tires. If your 36ua was made early in the model year, there was a recall on the hitch that involved welding the hitch to the frame making it very difficult to remove. That being said, the frame extension used by Tiffin seems light and really needs to be looked at prior to applying more loads to it.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have an accident and are found over limits, you can be held at fault. Over weight affects brakes, and that is just not something you want to mess with. It is so much more than frame.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

You'll hit your CCC/GVWR with the towed vehicles, most likely. If you don't need a driver, passenger, food, water, clothes, tools, propane or fuel, you'll be fine!

Tags
tiffin