Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Below freezing temps-advice

Hello everyone,

Please excuse me if this is a really simple and dumb question as I am new to rving. Last Friday I pulled my motorhome out of it's heated storage and will not be able to put it back in.

This week the forecast is for 2 nights in the mid 20s. If I run the furnace over these nights will I be ok with avoiding frozen pipes? I have aqua hot and there is a small heating unit built into the compartment with the holding tanks.

I would imagine the temps will only hit this low point for a few hours as the daytime temps will be in the 40s and 50s.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Stuart,
I don't have Aqua Hot, and my heating system is different that yours. But, my opinion.

If you have your Aqua Hot working, keep the coach nice and warm, and your wet bay heater working, I think there should be no problem.

I'd put a thermometer in the wet bay and confirm that. If it reads good, then I think you'll be fine.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

Probably be OK if you leave your heat set on 68 or so. I always keep my slides in when in cold temp. That way your water lines get lots more heat.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Turn your AH system on and set the temp inside to minimum. Your wetbays should be on the system on their own temp setting...tyincally about 45 deg or so. I am not familiar with how your coach is set up. Mine has a set temp of 45deg, I keep the inside at 55 during the winter and have had zero issues except using alot of diesel. Now all of this is assuming you have 110 power to power everything up.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice,
I won't have an electric hook-up, but plan to run my genny for the two nights. I will keep the slides in.
Stuart
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

I've had success for many years in freezing weather with this rule. If daytime highs reach 50, nightime lows stay above 27, the RV plumbing will not freeze. With a small amount of added heat the coach should be safe with lows in mid 20's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
Turn your AH system on and set the temp inside to minimum. Your wetbays should be on the system on their own temp setting...tyincally about 45 deg or so. I am not familiar with how your coach is set up. Mine has a set temp of 45deg, I keep the inside at 55 during the winter and have had zero issues except using alot of diesel. Now all of this is assuming you have 110 power to power everything up.
Agree with all except the last sentence. You don't need 110 power to run the Aqua Hot, it can run on 110 or 12v. If you don't have 110, use the 12 volt and set you Auto Gen Start to come on. That way when your batteries get to a set point of discharge, the gen will come on, charge them and go off when they are charged.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We de-winterized a couple of days ago in prep for up coming Easter weekend trip. At the time Tue night lows were forecast to be 25 or so. Well yesterday they updated the temps and are now saying 15-19 Tues night. So out comes the air hose adapter yesterday and I blew out the water system. As an added measure I'll be keeping the slides in and putting a 1500 watt space heater in the basement.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
With the Agua hot on minimum you will be fine with days in the 50's. With the Agua hot you have an upper end coach with better insulation than me and mine has set with low 20's at night for several days with the days getting into the low 40's uninhabited. We never run the furnace at night while using the coach except when temp reach below 20. I did freeze the water bay slightly once when someone who was checking thing before bed left the #$%^& bay door open at 18 and a good wind out of that direction DUMB DUMB DUMB. No damage just applied a little heat the next day. The Agua hot should run all night even if it is on call for a much higher heat without the gen. Seriously dought you would even need heat unless a lot of wind, but better to be safe.

LEN
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone,

I am constantly learning about this rig. The coach is a few miles from where I am living so tonight I plan on sleeping the motorhome to make sure everything is working. I will turn the aqua hot on using the diesel function and keep the AGS on and hopefully everything will stay toasty warm.

My coach does have a heater in the wet bay that should be set to come on at 45 degrees, according to the instruction manual.

These northern Vermont temps are crazy. Right now it is 66 degree and tomorrow morning will be 20 degrees!

Stuart
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Head south now!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Clay,

We're trying, we're trying. Starting full time end of May. For now we have an arms list of things to do in order to get ready. If only the weather would cooperate.

Forecast is for snow in the morning :-(

Stuart
Old 04-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stuart, sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. Our weather was just about the same, Saturday is was 73 degrees. See the attached pic of Sunday, this was just the beginning of a very wet, heavy, icey snow. 2-ft. drifts! Spent most of yesterday digging out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2607.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	60655

Today it's over 50 degrees, I was going to mow today but I'd look funning mowing snow! We are getting there though - I hope!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ken, wow,

That is not funny at all. I do remember about 10 years ago we got an 18 inch snowfall just about this time of year.

Stuart

Tags
advice