Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
I suggest finding a dlr that has both and go look, touch and sit in both. Spend some time in them. In the end you will decide which is best for you. I bought a Tiffin but if replaced and probably will be soon it will be an Entegra.

NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Reference your question about running generator for coach A/C or will dash A/C be adequate. We have a behind front seats curtain for travel during summer (and winter). It enables dash to keep us cool or warm. We start the generator an hour before pulling it for the night. Works for us.

Vince & Patricia, Tucson--AZ, FMCA, RVMutants#130
With: Ch. "Carrie", Std. Schnauzer & "Sophie" Cocker
'06 Phaeton 40QDH + '11 Fiesta w/ AirForceOne.
"It is more important to know the journey is the destination than to get there quickly."
desertvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #17
I will add this, we are happy with the Tiffin as far as quality. They all have issues and some people just have more issues no matter what brand they buy.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Once you realize you cannot full time in 36 foot diesel coach without a toad, then you should be looking at at least a 40 footer. But sounds like you got plenty of time to figure that out. :-)
I don't own a motorhome myself yet but to ditto your post I had a friend I had not seen for a long time pass through my town this week. He was in a 36' DP. When I told him I was researching motorhomes with the thought of traveling extensively in one once I retire the first thing he said to me was that I should look for a 40' one. That there is a world of difference in living with that extra 4'. It usually means a much more livable bedroom area with more room to walk around the bed and more closet / drawer space.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
If you're going FT, or even extended trips, you'll eventually wish you had a 40' with a toad.

Trust me.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Ul2fly View Post
When we purchased our 2015 Forest River Solera 24R our goal was to travel and see a few of our favorite states 1 week at a time. But within the next 2-3 years plan on purchasing a deeded RV lot in florida for our full time home. It may last a few years or 20 who knows.
At the moment we are in a beautiful central Florida resort that ends up with more full time residents every year. From discussions and observation, it seems that most end up selling their Class As and either buying fully loaded and large fifth wheels, or similar park models. There are many 5th owners here who do not own a truck, and have no interest in towing anything. As others have noted, a new expensive Class A that doesn't move is only inviting long term headaches. For less than half of what you propose to spend, you could have it all. A great getaway rig, with the Solera, and a huge, luxurious trailer with far less headaches. The other point is, as the owner of a 34' Class A, it is not comparable in the least to your current rig, when it comes to being even remotely nimble and usable as a substitute for a towed car. It is a huge, lumbering PITA to maneuver anywhere off the highway, and if I didn't have a toad, I certainly would own the motorhome.
Slate Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Not everyone needs 40 feet to full-time...

We are full time in our 37 foot National Tradewinds. I've spoken to several full timers who swear by their 40-45' rigs. To each his own. My wife is a modest packer and we have 3 seasons of clothing and work-related clothing and suitcases, and we still have some room in our closets and bays (less downstairs now that we bought an inflatable kayak). We think we could do with a couple feet shorter if we didn't lose much bin space. Unfortunately, there are very few diesel models 35 feet and under. A well-laid out floor plan is more important to me than raw length. To each his own. Good luck with the planning - you'll be way ahead when the time comes to choose!
Seb Trost - Henderson, NV
2002 National Tradewinds LE 37'
Spartan Chassis - Purchased 2013
Rv164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #22
I think a lot of people are missing an important point.
They are considering fulltiming Without a toad!!!
2014 Berkshire 390RB
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #23
Check out this link fleetwood excursion Archives - Gone With The Wynns

It's a young couple who lived in a Fleetwood Excursion for some time. They did have a toad, but reading this might give you some insight into living in a "smaller" coach.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #24
Berkshire 34QS Vs Allegro Red 33AA as full timer

One thing to check is the Occupant And Cargo Carry Capacity (OCCC) of both rigs. I was ready to sign for a Berkshire 38a which seemed like the perfect coach and a great value for money until I saw the 2169lb OCCC.

That's without water, people, or cargo. Empty except for fuel and propane. And nowhere near enough for full timing.

No matter what rig you look pay attention to that OCCC number. Otherwise, you risk seriously overloading the coach.

Remember water weighs 8lbs per gallon, and it's easy to have 700lbs or 800lbs of water weight if you are planning to boondock. Add a few hundred pounds per adult, clothes, food, pots/pans, and the weight creeps up. Pretty soon you are over weight and risking safety.

If you assume 1500lbs per passenger for full timing, you'll generally be safe.
Bryanmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #25
If you are going to park the RV in a deeded lot, you should be purchasing a fifth wheel and not a class A coach. Coaches need to me moved and exercised, otherwise you are going to have a lot of problems.

If you are going to be moving around, you really will need a toad. You are not going to be driving around a 35 foot coach to go shopping, have dinner, see the sights, etc. You are going to have a hard time getting to many of the places you want to go and you are not going to want to bring in the slides, retract the levelers, and unhook all the connections every time you want to go somewhere.
Ludmilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Once you realize you cannot full time in 36 foot diesel coach without a toad, then you should be looking at at least a 40 footer. But sounds like you got plenty of time to figure that out. :-)
I don't see how anybody can survive without a toad...food, laundry, MH parts and maint, sight seeing, emergencies, doctor, entertainment, etc. We arrived in our current CG two weeks ago today...and have put 500 miles on our toad.

2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

full time, full timer