Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #1

Berkshire Tire Upgrade Question

Hello,

I have a 2009 Berkshire 390TS motorhome and I need to install new tires as the original tires (XRV 255/80R/22.5) are checked from age. I am looking at upgrading the tires to the larger Michelin 275/80R/22.5 XZA3+ or XZE2.
My question is, has anybody installed these larger size tires on this type of motorhome and is there any problem with them fitting. Also which would be better the XZA3's or XZE2's.

Thanks for any help with this decision....Donn
DonnandMarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Four years old and checked so badly they need replacing? Talk to Michelin about warranty - I think they will guarantee up to five years.

I've heard of others who went to a larger size but I believe the 275/70 is the replacement. A 275/80 is a larger diameter tire and requires more wheel well space, more dual spacing, and ill also throw your speedometer off cause it makes fewer revolutions per mile.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

I contacted Michelin and they said they do not warranty the sidewall cracking. Sad
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Don,
Sounds like 5 year old tires left in sun full time? If so, chalk that up to experience and protect the new ones (you will be motivated once you swipe your card). If you kept these tires covered, challenge michelin.

BTW, why are you looking to change size, what is your objective?
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #5

The motor home was left in the sun at the dealer lot for two years. I've kept them covered since I owned them. When I bought the motorhome the checking hadn't shown up yet. Michelin won't warranty them so I contacted the dealer and they won't warranty them so, I'm out of luck.

I'm looking at changing the size of tires to increase my weight margin a little bit. I believe the increased tire size was an option on the Berkshire when new if you wanted a higher weight rating. I've also heared that other Berkshire 390 owners have run them with no problems. I would like to confirm this.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnandMarg View Post
Hello,

I have a 2009 Berkshire 390TS motorhome and I need to install new tires as the original tires (XRV 255/80R/22.5) are checked from age. I am looking at upgrading the tires to the larger Michelin 275/80R/22.5 XZA3+ or XZE2.
My question is, has anybody installed these larger size tires on this type of motorhome and is there any problem with them fitting. Also which would be better the XZA3's or XZE2's.

Thanks for any help with this decision....Donn
Are you sure that larger tires will not decrease your turning undercut? I would check with the chassis maker. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision....
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 with the speedometer issue noted by Gary RV Roamer.

A friend of mine experienced the problem with a new Tiffin that upsized the tires but didn't calibrate the speedometer and Freightliner computer. There was a min +3 mph difference between actual and speedometer.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

Should I decide to go with the larger tires, I got a quote from the local Freightliner dealer to re-calibrate my speedometer for a cost of $124.00. They said it was no problem and would take them about an hour. They said that any Cummins dealer could do it also. Not bad