Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #1

Best 12V source

Hello:

Need help in determine the best 12V source. I was told, DO NOT use your chassis battery for 12V source, so it's either the inverter battery bank or the converter battery bank. I leaning toward the converter battery banks.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What are you trying to accomplish? If it is something with a continuous draw then the engine batteries are not a good choice.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? If it is something with a continuous draw then the engine batteries are not a good choice.
Well, in general...macerator pump, alarm, toad charge wire, fogs, etc...
Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMO, I would use the chassis power for the toad charge, alarm , and fog lights.

The toad charge and fog lights, I would use 12v switched (powered with key on only) since I only need it when I drive. Under the hood, look for a power stud next to the fuse box. I would tap off of the stud and use an inline fuse. Workhorse chassis uses an "A" stud and a "B" stud under the hood to help distribute 12 volt power.

The alarm needs to be unswitched (powered all the time). Usually an alarm uses 2 power sources (not always). One for control, and a high amperage relay contacts to activate the (Alarm, horns and lights.

I wired my macerator to my coach 12v. I used a spare terminal in the coach fuse box, installed a 20 amp fuse and ran 10awg wire to my utility compartment. My flowjet draws 16 amps and occasionally blows the 20 amp fuse.

Make sure you use a properly sized fuse just in case you make a wiring mistake, you will only blow a fuse and not melt wires.

You don't want to let the magic smoke out. LOL
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
Well, in general...macerator pump, alarm, toad charge wire, fogs, etc...

You will be fine with the engine battery but many rv's sit for long periods and you will have a dead battery if you don't have some sort of charger running with an alarm connected. The other devices are on demand so no worries about dead batteries with those.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #6

Okay guys,

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to find the best 12V source. Now, If I have a Converter/Inverter battery bank 12V switched via a solenoid, wouldn't that be better than the chassis battery. The chassis battery already has a major job to perform...starting the RV, 12v to autopark, etc. I think it's an advantage to use the converter battery for all your 12V switched/unswitched needs if it can be easily done.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
You only have two battery banks. (Oops, I actually have three including the dedicated battery for the generator.)

Use the chassis battery for chassis things needed to operate the coach.

Use the house battery for all other things.

That way you can drive somewhere to get new parts when the house battery is dead.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
You only have two battery banks. (Oops, I actually have three including the dedicated battery for the generator.)

Use the chassis battery for chassis things needed to operate the coach.

Use the house battery for all other things.

That way you can drive somewhere to get new parts when the house battery is dead.
I have 1-12V chassis battery, 2-6V converter batteries and 4-12V inverter batteries. So, for other 12 Volt source, I should hook up to house battery (converter), cause my inverter batteries are mainly use for boondocking, correct? Thx
Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Ok, I stand corrected.

Most rigs have either an Inverter/Converter/charger unit or just a converter/charge linked to the house batteries.

This is the first example I have heard of three separate battery banks (other than my type of rig).

What brand of MH do you have ?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most RV's have only two banks.
1: Chassis: this is used for all the "Truck" stuff, Headlights, Marker lights, Stop/tail/turn, Starting the engine, Dash heater and radio and if you have a "Dome Light" yup that too. On my coach the dash 12 volt outlet.

And they have HOUSE batteries. This is what you call the converter bank (And why do you have separated converter and INVERTER banks.. I know why I did it (inverter's were AGM) but why do you?)

This is used for everything else, Fantastic or Maxx air vent, House lighting, Water pump, Sewage pump if any, Control power for things that need control power (Water heater, Fridge Air conditioners) Furnace, Slides, and.. Well all the stuff NOT a "Truck" function.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #11

For the toad and fog lights use the chassis batteries as you will most likely have the engine running and the alternator will be doing the 12v load, have it set up with the ignition switch as mentioned earlier. For the others I would use the 4 house batteries.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello:

Need help in determine the best 12V source. I was told, DO NOT use your chassis battery for 12V source, so it's either the inverter battery bank or the converter battery bank. I leaning toward the converter battery banks.

Thanks

Please double check and tell us why you think you have a separate "Inverter bank" and a "Charger bank". Every motorhome I have ever seen only has one unit, an Inverter/Charger, which only works with one battery bank - called the "House" battery bank.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_G View Post
Please double check and tell us why you think you have a separate "Inverter bank" and a "Charger bank". Every motorhome I have ever seen only has one unit, an Inverter/Charger, which only works with one battery bank - called the "House" battery bank.
The 96 bounder comes with 2-6Volt converter batteries. The inverter batteries (4-12Volt) was added latter with 2 battery switches and gives me alot of flexabilty when not hook up to shore power. Thx
Old 10-17-2014, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
The 96 bounder comes with 2-6Volt converter batteries. The inverter batteries (4-12Volt) was added latter with 2 battery switches and gives me alot of flexabilty when not hook up to shore power. Thx
Ah... an after market non-stock addition / modification? Given what you have stated, I would consider the "Charger bank" to be the normal stock House battery bank, and that is what I would hook up House related equipment such as the macerator pump or alarm. Other items you mentioned such as toad charge line and fog lights should be drawing their 12V from the chassis battery, in my opinion. ... or as other here have previously indicated, use the chassis battery for chassis stuff and the house battery bank for house stuff.

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote