Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post
winnebago/itasca 37f/38q; newmar canyon star 3914, and in a different category, the bounder 36e and georgetown xl 378ts.

rotflmao

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post
winnebago/itasca 37f/38q; newmar canyon star 3914, and in a different category, the bounder 36e and georgetown xl 378ts.

rotflmao

2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 10-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Other than the mega coaches, I would look at Entegra or a used travel supreme. Someone said previously that they are new at this. Yes and no. The family that started Travel Supreme is still involved as are many others from TS in the reborn company owned now by Jayco who is certainly not new to the industry. Lots of bang for your buck here and my first choice. Country coach follows up a close second and still has factory service available. Granted again its owned by someone else but they do have all the build records and knowledge. Ive sold and serviced both and they were always great rigs and good people to deal with. Theres one more fleetwood in my future and then an Entegra the day I retire.
Having owned both, I couldn't agree more with your statements. The ride on both are great.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #60

Country Coach Owners Club
My top three are: Country Coach, Country Coach and Country Coach. Any Magna or "A" series models in particularly.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
My top three are: Country Coach, Country Coach and Country Coach. Any Magna or "A" series models in particularly.

I almost bought a 98 Magna a week ago. Damn thing looked perfect. Dude sold it in 1 day, I kid you not! I replied by email within 8hrs and I was too slow 😢
Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
I almost bought a 98 Magna a week ago. Damn thing looked perfect. Dude sold it in 1 day, I kid you not! I replied by email within 8hrs and I was too slow 😢
I have only had my 98 Magna for a few months but seems very well built. Driving it is awesome and not a rattle or a squeek to be heard.
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
should I say Bluebird has steel skin, floor and roof? Nah- nobody wants that- they want graphics- aka fiberglass.
Well sir, I'm somebody!

The Birds and Lodges are great coaches. These were on our short list while shopping. They do ride nice, and are deservedly a Top Tier coach.

Some real fine coaches mentioned, and I think that shows that as we all may not be looking for the same things - different manufacturers try to distinguish their coaches from the rest. If how they do this floats your boat, then you've found your coach.

If we were shopping again today, we'd still be looking for:

-CC's (Allure/Integra/Magna/Affinity)
-Travel Supreme/Entegra
-Foetravel
-Wanderlodges
-Beaver Patriot/Marquis
-Monaco Executive/Signature
-Newmar Mountaine/King Aire's

All with BIG BLOCK engines, all with Tag's, all between 40-44', with 42-43 being the most liked.

I left off American Coach, because the interiors just are not what we like, but they are fine made motorhomes.

I left off Newell as the interiors are usually not something we like. But if we found one that would not take major renovation to change the interior, I'd look it over real well.

In the Monaco line, we found we liked the firt generation of Beaver's after they were absorbed into the borg of then Monaco! Still lots of 'Beaver' retained.

I left out the Essex from Newmar, as all that we went thru on the used market, were not interior wise something we liked. Of the Aires, we found the interior of the Mountain Aire more to our style desires. But very few were sold with the ISM.

When we shopped for our current coach, we specifically looked for engines pre the first wave of major smog regulation changes.

Budget points. I looked carefully at the life cycles of the engine and chassis of the Top Tier coaches. And though we could have afforded a $400-600K coach, felt I could get a coach that would have the planned usage of 10-15 years very easily within the $150-200K range. As almost all of the coaches we walked thru would have interior modifications required for our desires. I budgeted $25-35K for modifications. (Still in the process of making our changes now.)

In other posts here on IRV2 and elsewhere, I've shared a few opinions:

1) Come up with a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's. Compare these to the Top Tier coaches, and come up with a short list of manufactures and models.

2) Pick the budget range you want to spend. Keep some budget for any baseline maintenance catch up, interior changes, and contingency.

3) Drop years to buy the highest quality coach that meets your needs, while remaining in budget.

4) When looking, think of the quality of the chassis and the coach construction technique. Consider these Top Tier rigs as a Solid Foundation to support your rolling house over the years. And a good solid foundation, is usually a sure bet to make modifications on for the long haul.

5) Why spend more && then you need to, if you can get your needs met? These Top Tier coaches, will still be great rides and living spaces in 10, 15 even longer years ahead. If, well maintained.

For sure not one answer for all, and for us we found a list of about 6-8 modles and years that were 'are answer'. We shopped accordingly. And, we both made compromises where needed. The largest one from me, was I ended up with a 40' vs 42-43' coach and it has the mid size block ISL instead of say the ISM, or other Big Block. I did this, because it graded the highest of any coach we had seen on our overall Must Have's and Nice to Have's spread sheet. The galley sold the DW, and I like it too.

I also am a big believer in doing your homework, make the best decision you can based upon this homework - and getting out and getting going.

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Old 11-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
We have found our 2011 Winnebago DP to be the most bang for the buck, especially buying pre-owned.

Not a rattle or squeak to be heard, solid, fingertip driving, plenty of power, pulls a full size truck with ease, quality built, awesome floorplan, awesome customer support.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
It's all about money. In the mid range price bracket, Tiffin hands down. Family name is on the coach. Pride in their product and customer support are best in the business. There are no Wall Street investment bankers or turnaround firms to answer to, so they can run their business for the long term and make product and support decisions for the long term, not worrying about quarterly financials to their parent company.

We have a 7 year old Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis and it has been a great experience. The Tiffin people treated us as if we had bought new, but we bought used. That's not the dealer, that's the factory! See if the CEO of one of the conglomerate coach builders will see you in his office, or at a trade show. I doubt it.

Of course I'd like to have a Prevost or Foretravel. What would I gain? Wouldn't it be more fun to own a stable of Porsche's and Ferrari's for the difference in price?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #66

Hey Alpha99, I'm curious, do you have a Cummins 340 ISB in your coach? I'm thinking of pulling my Pickup with my Winnebago but I'm concerned that I won't have enough HP to get up the hills. I have the 340 ISB.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #67

At Country Coach you don't have to go to Ron Lee's office to see him. He walks around his place all the time and you can talk to him pretty much any time you want.

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes