Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
thanks again for all the replies. They have been a great deal of help
rdfugere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #16

We were thinking of spending up to $145k on a used Newmar Ventana. Thankfully we only spent half that on an older Mountain Aire, because it will depreciate far less under our ownership. The original owner gave up $120k over 11 years. How much are you willing to lose, just to find out whether or not you even like RVing in one?
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Newell plus Custom Conversions like Millennium, Marathon, Prevost, etc.

Bring LOT's of money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #18

Sounds like you are leaning towards buying a used coach from a high end builder. As stated above, that would include Monaco, Country Coach, Newmar, Travel Supreme, just to name a few.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
We were thinking of spending up to $145k on a used Newmar Ventana. Thankfully we only spent half that on an older Mountain Aire, because it will depreciate far less under our ownership. The original owner gave up $120k over 11 years. How much are you willing to lose, just to find out whether or not you even like RVing in one?
Good choice, plus the Mountain Aire has a lot of features the ventana never had. I bet in the summer you will love that third A/C I'm a big fan of the new ventana's 2014 /15, but dislike they never put a third A/C on board.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #20

Our 06 Fleetwood Excursion has provided us with many trouble free trips!!
Uncle Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other than the mega coaches, I would look at Entegra or a used travel supreme. Someone said previously that they are new at this. Yes and no. The family that started Travel Supreme is still involved as are many others from TS in the reborn company owned now by Jayco who is certainly not new to the industry. Lots of bang for your buck here and my first choice. Country coach follows up a close second and still has factory service available. Granted again its owned by someone else but they do have all the build records and knowledge. Ive sold and serviced both and they were always great rigs and good people to deal with. Theres one more fleetwood in my future and then an Entegra the day I retire.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Have 35 years in a motorhoming, I have owned many and camped with many, many owners. IMHO....... Newmar. Hands down this is the best manufactured coach I have ever owned and found support from. Second would be Winnebago. Now many of my purchases over the years, I bought used Coaches. What determined my purchase was what was available, Floorplan, wear and tear on the coach and most of all $$$$$$. (price). If tomorrow I decided to by a new coach and money had no bearing I would buy a Newmar.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Totally agree, these things are bullet proof workhorses... in a class of their own.

These are "bus conversions" over Class A Motorhomes. But man are they solid, albeit, expensive high dollar machines. Worth it though. The Prevost chassis is among the most sold, most used long haul passenger bus rigs around.
Slight quibble but out of the three, Prevost, Newell, and Foretravel, only the Prevost is a bus conversion. Newell's and Foretravels are built from the ground up as a motorhome, not starting from a bus frame.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Try this site, I used it and it served me well. It was $150 well spent.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
I have always thought at some point I might buy their guide but looking at the model years for motorhomes I have found spotty coverage for Foretravel and zero for Newell...two used DPs I am very interested in.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Has anyone know anything of the Damon Tuscany? I looked at a
2009 Damon
TUSCANY

I know they have been bought by Thor but this seems to be made before the buyout. I've read nightmare stories about Thor but know nothing of Damons made before they were bought.
rdfugere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The Ventana would be an ideal coach if it had the side radiator. That said I would look at the Dutch Star. It's one of Newmars most popular diesels.

Good luck with your search, and Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfugere View Post
Thanks you so much for your replies. I feel that a used diesel motorhome will be good for our first one. We'll be going on trips from a few days to 4 weeks at a time. Budget is $150,000 or less
No particular order, but Country Coach, Newmar, American and Monaco would be some I would look at.

Here is just an example of what is available:

2003 Country Coach Magna 42′ #6213 | Country Coach Corporation

I have owned 2 American Eagles and the customer support from the factory has been excellent. I think Newmar has a very good reputation as well and from reading this form the other two have a very good reputation.

One thing I found is the various models within a particular mfg really differ in decorating tastes. That may influence your ultimate decision.

I think chassis, engine and floor plan is very important, the decorating taste would follow. Good luck in your search!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Buy a used high end model from one of the major manufacturers, e.e. Fleetwood's Amercan Coach brand, Monaco's Dynasty or Signature, Holiday Imperial or Navigator, Tiffin Allegro Bus, Newmar Mountainaire, most any Country Coach model, etc. Adjust the year downward until they fit your budget. You almost always get more bang for your buck as well as a more solidly built coach when you get a top-tier brand.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes