Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Best 30a Surge Protection for $$$

I've got to get my MH some 30a surge protection and am starting to do the reserch for the best surge protection device for the money. How's about some suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I like the TRC (Surge Guard) portable but I would recommend you get the 50 amp instead. When you upgrade to a 50 amp coach you will not have to buy another one at that time. The 50 amp will work on and for a 30 amp need. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Just saw this in our classified adds TRC 50 AMP Portable Surge Guard - RV & Motorhome Classifieds
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #4

While your at it why not get total energy management protection. I use this one. EMS-PT30C
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Go with Progressive Industries they support their equipment unlike TRC. Master Catalog
Tweetys.com has good prices on these.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Progressive Industries would be my choice. Click on the EMS-MH50C in my sig for more info. You might consider the EMS-HW30.

If you get a spike and blow the surge board in the Progress Industries unit, you can fix it yourself. If you blow up a TRC - you have to send it back to Florida and you would be without a SG for that period of time. If you have a hard wired TRC - this could be a BIG inconvenience.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Progressive Industries has the best protection for the money. You can buy it at rvupgradestore.com here. The most important specification for a surge protector is a high joule rating.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Progressive Industries has the best protection for the money. You can buy it at rvupgradestore.com here. The most important specification for a surge protector is a high joule rating.
2X on that. Built like a tank and a great warranty too.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

What about the TRC 30Amp AECM10086 surge protector. Seems like a good choice for part time RVing and it's joule rating is high for the money. It seem to analyze the important (and more common) characteristics of shore power but I don't want to miss something that is a common issue just b/c I'd rather spend less $$.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #10

The only thing TRC will do is sell you a new unit. Been there done that. That is why I now use Progressive Industries equipment, no more TRC for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Progressive Industries would be my choice. Click on the EMS-MH50C in my sig for more info. You might consider the EMS-HW30.

If you get a spike and blow the surge board in the Progress Industries unit, you can fix it yourself. If you blow up a TRC - you have to send it back to Florida and you would be without a SG for that period of time. If you have a hard wired TRC - this could be a BIG inconvenience.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Another vote for Progrssive Industries. I have the 50 amp.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
It seem to analyze the important (and more common) characteristics of shore power but I don't want to miss something that is a common issue just b/c I'd rather spend less $$.
dunlapml, See Para #2 Post #6.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
What about the TRC 30Amp AECM10086 surge protector. Seems like a good choice for part time RVing and it's joule rating is high for the money. It seem to analyze the important (and more common) characteristics of shore power but I don't want to miss something that is a common issue just b/c I'd rather spend less $$.
If you compare the Joule rating on the TRC to the Progressive Industries you will see the Progressive Industries has twice the protection as the TRC. If money is the issue buy the TRC as any protection is better than none at all. Whether your a full timer or part timer it only takes one incident and you could be repairing or replacing expensive electrical and electronic equipment so buy the best you can afford.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
If you compare the Joule rating on the TRC to the Progressive Industries you will see the Progressive Industries has twice the protection as the TRC.
I must be missing something in my research (disregarding quality and repairability). Here's what I come up with as far as joule rating on the surge protection only devices.

TRC AECM10086 Surge Guard 30-Amp : 1020 joules

Progressive Industries SSP30 Smart Surge: 825 joules (some sites say 450 joules?)

I certainly see that the Progressive has more votes and some worthy comments. I sure would be nice if the joule ratings were the same (or more).