Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best battery

Whats the best battery you can purchase for your coach. Im talking 6 volt. four of em.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Just did this last year. Bought 4 GC-2's at Sam's for 2/3 the price of most. They are Duracell branded but made by Deka. Work great and best bang for the buck IMHO.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
Whats the best battery you can purchase for your coach. Im talking 6 volt. four of em.
the best house batteries you can use are lithium batteries ...... they are far superior to wet cell and agm technology
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
the best house batteries you can use are lithium batteries ...... they are far superior to wet cell and agm technology
Im big into Giant Scale RC, and Im very familiar with LiPo's and the fire danger they present. Unless they have fixed that, there is no way I would use lithium batterys in my coach, thanks for you opinion anyway
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Lifeline AGM's (4 years now) and am very happy with them. Zero maintenance and good recovery.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #6

I think that many of us have used the Trojan T-105 6v golf cart battery as our house battery replacements. These are wet cell batteries and they have a proven MH track record. They are around 80 pounds each and a bit bigger foot print then the regular 12V type that often is supplied with the RV. I have 4 ea too....like that which you have described and my solar panels do a decent job of keeping them topped off when I boon dock.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Im big into Giant Scale RC, and Im very familiar with LiPo's and the fire danger they present. Unless they have fixed that, there is no way I would use lithium batterys in my coach, thanks for you opinion anyway
These folks give a very complete report.

Lithium Ion Batteries for RVs | Technomadia
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I to give Trojan my vote as well.I have a set of them in my coach and although not quite the AGM quality(or price) for the money they are spot on.I have had several sets of different brands (wet cell) in my golf cart and none seemed to perform as well. ( jmoh) Also you may wan't to check your charging system to make sure it can be switched for the charge of the battery you choose.Good luck.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
OP - Best for which usage?

- Going plugged into plugged in
- Full time boon docking
- Some mixture, and set of%, of the two

How much do you consume per day? Do you have budget range limitations?

Too opened of a question!

IMO, today:
1) AGM
2) Trojan wets
3) Sams/Costco golf cart

Future? I hope lithiums.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have 4 Interstate Workaholic U-2200 (232 amp. hr. ea.) 6 volt batts that are 9 years old. I added 4oz. of Thermoil 4 years ago into each cell that cured any corrosion in the compartment. How much longer will they last?? We'll see...I may need to start shopping my own self.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

Since the OP wanted to know the "best" batteries, I would have to vote with the Lifeline. They're more money but we had them in a coach that we did a lot of boondocking in and they worked better than the batteries they replaced.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pick the right battery

I would have to ask for what use is the battery application. Is it for a chassis starting or for house..

Dollar for dollar the AGM is the best starting battery. They have a very low internal resistance and therefor a very high current output. My diesel starts very rapidly even when the battery may be cold and the engine has sat idle for the month. Regular lead acid batteries would have been dead under the same conditions or caused a long drawn out starting condition bad for the starter.

remember that AGM cost big bucks. my AGM's are deep cycle marine over $225 each. the same I use in my boat. they can sit for a long time and be ready to fire up the engine. My experience is that the 6 Volt golf cart batteries are a lot better for the house batteries. might take a little more care to monitor the fluid level but that is easy on these type of batteries. They do take longer to charge up over the AGM

I would never again try to use a deep cycle marine 12 VDC battery for a house battery. A few years ago, I installed four 125 aH 12 batteries. They are all in recycle now. the Golf cart batteries I have in my boat have been there for six years and still work well. that is why I recently replace my MH house batteries with the 6 VCD batteries.

AGM batteries charge at a lower voltage than LA batteries. LA charge at 14.2 volts and AGM charge at 13.2-13.7 that is something to think about when you look at the charging ckt in your MH. AGM can be damaged with to much over voltage. I use a blocking diode which drops the forward voltage down a little to help protect the charge rate to the AGM

AMp hour wise the LA battery will provide many more hours of use for a lot less money. $400 vs $900 for the same amp hours. Hey what the hell, go for the big buck purchase.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I would have to ask for what use is the battery application. Is it for a chassis starting or for house..

Dollar for dollar the AGM is the best starting battery. They have a very low internal resistance and therefor a very high current output. My diesel starts very rapidly even when the battery may be cold and the engine has sat idle for the month. Regular lead acid batteries would have been dead under the same conditions or caused a long drawn out starting condition bad for the starter.

remember that AGM cost big bucks. my AGM's are deep cycle marine over $225 each. the same I use in my boat. they can sit for a long time and be ready to fire up the engine. My experience is that the 6 Volt golf cart batteries are a lot better for the house batteries. might take a little more care to monitor the fluid level but that is easy on these type of batteries. They do take longer to charge up over the AGM

I would never again try to use a deep cycle marine 12 VDC battery for a house battery. A few years ago, I installed four 125 aH 12 batteries. They are all in recycle now. the Golf cart batteries I have in my boat have been there for six years and still work well. that is why I recently replace my MH house batteries with the 6 VCD batteries.

AGM batteries charge at a lower voltage than LA batteries. LA charge at 14.2 volts and AGM charge at 13.2-13.7 that is something to think about when you look at the charging ckt in your MH. AGM can be damaged with to much over voltage. I use a blocking diode which drops the forward voltage down a little to help protect the charge rate to the AGM

AMp hour wise the LA battery will provide many more hours of use for a lot less money. $400 vs $900 for the same amp hours. Hey what the hell, go for the big buck purchase.

The information here that AGM's charge at a lower voltage in incorrect. Lifeline says to charge there AGM's at 14.2 -14.4 volts. Go here for info.

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

Also, why spend the money for AGM start batteries?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #14

I've been real happy with the 4 Trojan 6v batteries which are about 4 years old now and still going strong.
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery