Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Best Black Tank Sanitizer & Toilet Paper

Can anyone tell me what is the best black tank sanitizer to use to keep the smell down when the toilet is flushed so you don't get the smell jumping out at you before you can get the water back into the bowl. Also what is the best toilet paper to use and is it possible to use any of the household toilet paper. DW hates the RV paper.

As always thanks for your help.

Dan and Micki (Dogs/Kids) Reece and Zoey
2008 Monaco Knight
micki49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
None of them are "sanitizers" that I know of, they use chemicals to hold down the odor.

Have used the same TP in the MH as in the stick house for YEARS. Just be sure it's "septic system safe" and you'll be fine.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I actually use Scott RV Tissue I found at WM in the RV section. Seems as nice as regular, works well in MY system. Tried household when I first got this rig and quickly got a pyramid.

As for chemicals, I have yet to find any that is 100% effective in high heat. Some swear by the use of the GEO method which I have used in cooler climates with good luck just haven't had the guts to use in this high heat.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Welcome aboad. You will find a lot of good info here. Just ask questions and someone will have the answer.

We use household paper and the Geo method. Plenty of water in the black tank is the trick. After empting I put in 5/7 gals. water before using it. That will help prevent the pyramid. When we were dry camping and not moving for weeks at a time I found that adding the water before using after dumping gave us more days before needing to dump again. Didn't seem right but it worked. I think it kept things floating instead of pileing up under the toilet.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Test your TP by putting a couple of sheets in a mayonaise jar half full of water and shake. If the paper breaks up, it's safe for RV use. If it doesn't break up, use it for bugs on the windshield, it's too tough for septic tank use.

To keep odors from coming up as toilet is flushed, a positive pressure is needed in the RV. This can be done by a solar powered tank vent, Solar-Powered Plumbing Vent Fan - Ultra-fab Products 53-945001 - Vents - Camping World

or a Cyclone vent top like this Cyclone Sewer Vent - Camco RV 40595 - Vents - Camping World

It also helps NOT to have an exhaust fan on drawing air from black tank in as toilet flushes.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Scott toilet paper (household stuff) works great and dissolves quickly.

I know that a lot of people use the GEO method, but I'm willing to admit that my poop does stink! I've been using AquaChem for 30+ years and it keeps the odors down.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black Tank

As stated, the chemicals for the black water tank are to help dissolve the solids and eliminate the odors.

As far as TP goes, I have been using the Kirkland brand TP from Costco for several years with no problem. Secret to avoiding blockages when draining is to use lots of water when flushing.

I bought the little bagged toilet chemicals from Camping World because they were on sale. Worked just fine! If you have a continuing problem with black tank odors, check your vent tube. Some times they become blocked, or they have angles in them. Sometimes just changing the outlet cap helps. I put one of those venturi, weather-vane styles and NO ODORS!

Happy Trails!

desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Carolina Campers
Tried this stuff last week in the hot temps at Myrtle Beach. Worked better than any other product I've used. Full Timers 4 oz Toss-in Sample Packet - Dometic 379700054 - Sewer Deodorizers & Treatment - Camping World
1995 Thor Residency 3500
Amateur Radio W4KTL
ARRL Member
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club

or a Cyclone vent top like this [URL="http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992"]Cyclone Sewer Vent - Camco RV 40595 - Vents - Camping W. [/QUOTE]

I bought one works well. Installed in about ten minutes once you have the required items together.
2000 Four Winds 5000 Model 28A
FW5000DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone has their favotite black tank chemical or treatment plan. I have been using Odorless for a number of years and happy with it.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
We use this product and have used it for years. Never had a problem!
Seems to be sold on line only, but when ordered we receive it within just 3 or 4 days. www.5starhappycamper.com

As far as T/P goes we use Angel Soft.
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the TP, we use two ply Angel Soft. Regarding chemicals, we have been full timing for over 5 years and only use it a couple of times a year. We have found that the trick is to use plenty of water in the black tank. Do not have the bathroom fan running when you flush the toilet. Run it during use, turn it off when flushing, turn it back on if necessary for a few minutes after use. If the tank starts to smell, then drain and flush it and add more water. We have found that the smell is not an issue when following the above procedure unless the outside temperatures get up to 95 or higher. Then we either flush again or add some chemicals.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I use "Happy Camper" tank treatment. http://www.5starhappycamper.com/ It dissolves EVERYTHING! They give you a 100 % satisfaction guarantee so there's no way to lose! If you buy it in the large container it is a lot less expensive than anything else I've seen out there! We never notice any odors. Good luck & God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
we use costco tp and it works great like others have said we all have our favorites but we like UNIQUE treatment also when flushing i fill the bowl full of water before flushing, this gives a rush of water into the tank avoiding the pyramid effect and ensures plenty of water into the tank

boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote