Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Best Class A

I am considering a Class A and was told that Thor have major issues with repairs. Can anyone advise

what Class A would you recommend
jlcdive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

My Damon Astoria by Thor has been virtually trouble free.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcdive4fun View Post
I am considering a Class A and was told that Thor have major issues with repairs. Can anyone advise

Here is a site that I used in finding mine. It is not the end to end all but for $150 it will get you pointed in the right direction and save you from looking at a lot of sub standard and junk stuff.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Are you considering a new RV or a pre-owned model? It would be helpful to know what types/size/amenities you are shopping for.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Your asking a wide open question. Reminds me of flock shooting....so many to pick you'll not end up with a solid answer. It's like asking truck owners what truck they would recommend...Toyota, Chevy, Ford or Dodge? So just get ready for lot's of opinions. Mostly it will boil down to your favorite floor plan, dealer reliability or owners maintenance. There will be sour grapes on every model suggested and high fives on those same models. There are previous threads on this same popular question. You might want to look them up and be prepared to read a book. Good Luck....the hunt for the one that fits you will be an experience
Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

Best Class A, if money is no object; Newell or Prevost chassis based such as Marathon.

Thor is a large corporation that owns many RV brands; some good some not so good.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

There is no "one best" MH. Most all have there good points and bad, even then it might change from one model to the next within the same manufacturer. My advise is to go through many with a critical eye. Try to ascertain the quality of the components use and disregard the "flash". Just because one coach uses linoleum flooring and another uses tile does not mean the latter is better built.
We chose Tiffin because we liked "feel" (I know, not very scientific) of the coach, the floor plan, and the reputation of Tiffin's customer service.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

How much money do you have to spend? Good luck with this one..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #10

Give a price range and we can recommend the best couple of 40' to 45' diesel pushers that $$$ can buy.

There is everything from a 2millon dollar Newell to 70k Ace.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
While we traded our '12 Thor Hurricane 32A to move "up" to our current Winnebago, I by no means have any problems with Thor. I did have some "quirks" that so many owners of brand new motorhomes are experiencing these days that should have been caught in quality control, but nothing even close to major. In fact, while the DW and I still consider our current Winnebago an upgrade from our previous Hurricane, I can name several things that were included in the Thor that we wish we had in our Winnebago.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #12

Thor challenger 2013

A mechanic that works on RV 's told my sister that the Thor are in for repairs often and that they are not the best buy.

I am looking to use it for full time residence and travel. I can spend up to 150000 but I really do not want to spend that much either.

New or used will be considered

I like the opened concept opposed to each area being closed. I know I want several or more slide outs.

Thank you for your input
jlcdive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #13

For approx 150g's I would buy a 2008/2009 Winnebago Tour. In 2008 Winnebago went to their Maxxum Chassis with a lot of pass thru storage. Also the Maxxum Chassis is stronger than their previous Evolution Chassis.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You really need to decide what is important to you in a coach...If it was me and I was going to full time then I know that I would have Aqual-Hot, and a house refrig. along with a few other things in my coach. I would recommend going and look at as many units that you can, and don't get caught up in the "eye candy." Look at the wall paper seams, and the wood work (or lack of). A lot of manufactures will claim solid wood cabinets, when the only solid wood is the doors.

I went with a friend of mine down to Tom Johnson last month to look at a 2007 American Coach, and when we got there and started looking it over he and his wife decided on buying a 2007 HR Navigator instead. The Nav had much nicer wood work and just felt more solid than the American Coach... I'll also have to say that Tom Johnson (in Concord, NC) really went the extra mile in working out the deal with my buddy...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote