Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Best class A 30ft or less?

I am seeking recommendations for a 30' or less class A MH, new to 1-2 years old which can be purchased for under $80,000. This will be our first RV and the hope is to purchase our last RV first. It is just the DW and I and a small dog. First three years will be weekend getaways with a couple of one week trips then (retirement) and longer trips with an extended stay in the desert.

Wants: small sofa and dinette or table and chairs, walk-around queen and a couple of slides. Prefer Ford chassis but not a deal breaker.

Why 30' or less; that is what will fit in my driveway. Don't want storage expense. Have seen lots of Winnebagos, Thors and Coachmen which fit this description and also a few Fleetwoods.

Will be going to the Seattle RV show next weekend so hopefully I can view some suggestions there.

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

DLoy
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #2

In that size range, the Ford chassis is a good bet. When you buy an RV, you are buying a house. That means it's very personal, and no one else can really tell you what you will like. Visit some big dealers and maybe drop in at some larger campgrounds near you and (with management permission) talk to the owners of rigs that you find interesting. Most of us in the RV community will be happy to talk your ears off if you let us.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #3

I purchased a Thor ACE 29.2 last fall. It has a great floor plan and tons of storage. I suggest you check one of these out at the show! Drives good and made well. Good luck with your choice!
Old351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

I just purchased a 30 ft Newmar Bay star 2011 and I recommend it highly. Paid 79000 for it.
Bill
wrenrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #5

I agree that no one is going to be able to really tell you the best Rv to buy, as the floor plan and emmenities you want will vary from person to person. However I have gone from a 24' class C on a GM chassis to a 31' Class A on a Ford chassis to a 40' Class A diesel pusher in the last 5 years. We learned something from each RV we owned. Floor plan is specific to your needs. For just you and the DW and a dog will be much different than someone with a bunch of kids. So kinda decide where you want the space. Meaning will you spend a lot of time in the bedroom watching TV and relaxing or just to sleep? Will you typically eat outside at a picnic table or inside at the table? Are you a large guy as you will probably want a bigger shower than some units offer. When looking actually get inside the shower and mock washing yourself. If your elbows are constantly hitting the walls you probably want something larger.
Look at a high end unit brochure and all the possible extras. Make a list of the things you must have in your RV and then the things you would like, and prioritize the list. Things like slide out storage units, # of sleeping spaces, Where you want the most space, Automatic levelers, etc as well as find a layout that will work for you best. Then look at a lot of RVs.
Other things to consider is the pushers vs a front engine configuration. Typically a pretty big price difference but with a front engine they are louder up front and can get much warmer for the driver and passenger when in town or slower driving.
Also take into consideration the type of storage you would like. Are you taking a portable gas grill? an outdoor screen room, a hammock or like me I have all the above. So if you have something like an inflatable kayak space can be a premium.
Also consider what you will be towing if anything. Are you planning to use a dolley or Tow bar for a small car, SUV maybe a boat or trailer? Keep that in mind when trying to narrow the powerplant of your RV. How much weight will you need to tow and will you be pulling it through mountains or basically flat ground?

So all those things considered you should have a pretty good idea what your looking for. But basically it really depends on what your needs are and how you plan to use it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford chassis from Winnebago will serve you well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall made a 30' some time ago normally on a Ford chassis that had a dinette and a couch with the dinette on the passenger side. Two models one with slide one without same floorplan couch was only thing in the slide so no water, gas or drain lines moving. Difference on 5' couch with slide, 6' wo slide. They make a extremely tough coach all steel welded but come up short in the interior finish quality. It also had a 208 WB where most have 190" Personal preferences but I always wanted the shortest overhang I could get National also made a 30 which also was all steel welded on a Workhorse chassis which has an Allison transmission. Even though Workhorse is not viable anymore if the coach has had the brake recall, it's pretty robust. I'm a fan of strength in the coach because "if it aint moving it's just a pretty flowerpot" and you can generally do most anything you want with an interior.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #8

We owned a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 30B for eight years, and were very happy with it. As said, look at them all and get the floorplan you like. Good luck shopping.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #9

Im really digging the new ACE 27.1... looks very functional.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

We purchased the Tiffin Breeze 28br and love it. The layout serves us very well, but more importantly the quality of the coach. My only recommendation to you would be research the dealer as best as possible.The coach is only as good as the people who stand behind it. I could not be more pleased with the Tiffin family. Had a few issues long after warranty was gone, but they still stepped up. To me this is important. Good luck and Happy RVing
Old 02-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #11

Smile Newmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post
I am seeking recommendations for a 30' or less class A MH, new to 1-2 years old which can be purchased for under $80,000. This will be our first RV and the hope is to purchase our last RV first. It is just the DW and I and a small dog. First three years will be weekend getaways with a couple of one week trips then (retirement) and longer trips with an extended stay in the desert.

Wants: small sofa and dinette or table and chairs, walk-around queen and a couple of slides. Prefer Ford chassis but not a deal breaker.

Why 30' or less; that is what will fit in my driveway. Don't want storage expense. Have seen lots of Winnebagos, Thors and Coachmen which fit this description and also a few Fleetwoods.

Will be going to the Seattle RV show next weekend so hopefully I can view some suggestions there.

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

DLoy
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrag View Post
Just bought a 2011 Newmar bay star with 7000 miles. Ford V10. Paid 79000 for it. A beautiful coach 2 slides, table and 2 chairs. Very deluxe
Bill
Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
When I was looking at 30 footers, I noticed that not all the couches were the same length. Also if one goes shorter that a 30 ft, there's not enough length for a couch. Also the bed length can differ.

The gray and black water tanks are normaly smaller on anything less than a 30 ft. My Fleetwood, 30 Ft. was acutaly 31.5. My Itasca, 30ft is actualy 30.6 in length.

On a 31 or 32 ft. MH, one normaly gets a clothes closet out side the bedroom area. My 30 footer has only one clothes closet. That's in the bedroom. My wife uses that.

I wad up my clothes up and drag them behind the MH

Best wishes.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
This will be my first reply and hope it go's well. Just bought Itasca Sunstar 26HE made its first week end trip. Owned a 98 winnebago Brave SE 26' no slides had it 8yrs good machine served us well but was beginning to start needing work. We like the small MH for space we have on the drive way but mainly the price. The price with one slide and own a brand new machine is what got me. We both still work and a house note for a couple more years and still afford new appealed to me. After owning the first Winnebago could not see owning anything else.
KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote