Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Looking at your recent posts Debbie, looks like you're now experiencing everything from cockeyed slides to diesel fuel leaks, squeaks and leaks on that Fleetwood Excursion. still happy with it?
Very perceptive! yes, since I posted this, we have had our share of the new coach gremlins. I think most of my frustration was the dealership ... then Fleetwood's attitude ... then Freightliner's attitude. But, I kept talking and I sent Fleetwood a post I made on here saying I'm no longer singing their praises. Well ... that seemed to wake them up and the management of Fleetwood. After that - things started to get done. I'm taking the coach to Destin for Labor Day - so we will see if the gremlins are still lurking. I love the layout, the way the coach handles, etc. So ... hopefully the gremlins have left the "building" ......

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #30

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Looks like everyone is recommending the coach they own, so I'll chime in and say my ...
Yep. I love my 1988 Georgie Boy coach. I mean, something happens on every trip. Isn't that what RVing is all about? For example:

- Gas Gage decides to act up without telling me ahead of time. It is not measuring correctly, so I ran out of gas on a major highway. Closed the right lane ...

- Fuel pump fails as I drive unto the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa.

- Belt for alternator comes off while happily driving down the highway, unbeknown to me. Eventually, the battery fails so I'm stranded on the shoulder of some highway in Louisiana. So, I take a comfortable chair and sit outside by the highway, with a cold drink in my hand, while I wait for the mobile service truck. Other drivers are waving and making all kinds of "you might be a redneck" jokes ... "You might be a redneck if you decide to go camping on the side of a major road ..."

- Driver side door almost falls out while driving.

- Two cargo compartment doors blow out while driving. I pull over and walk down the highway picking up the pieces. DW thought it was a good idea for me to walk on a busy highway ...

- Water pump froze and water everywhere under the bed ...

- During my first trip in the RV, I could not get water out of the faucets once connected to the mains. Checked everything. We found out later that a valve behind one of the kitchen cabinets was off.

But, all of the above are part of the fun of RVing.

With the exception of the fuel pump failure over the bridge in Florida.

I can't wait to get on the road again!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I could afford it, I would buy a Winnebago Journey 36M. I found a new one for $196,000 in Texas. Winnebago does a drop test on every new model they come out with by turning one upside down and, after raising it a few feet off the ground, they drop it. Anything that turns loose inside is re-done so it is secure.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
We are looking at a '15 palazzo 35.1 and some 2005 and 2006 dutch stars. We have to have king bed. We really like the way the Newmar's drive and yet very few complaints about them. Any advice on purchasing an older DS with 50k-80k miles on it? (Obviously detailed service records are a must). At big issues
Research on the Polazzo might change your mind. I had a deposit on one and after reading about poor quality and warranty issues, I canceled it and went to another brand. I had a Winnebago Journey. It's very well built and is more like driving a car than a huge MH. Winnebago is a debt free company so that's about as safe as it gets for a company to make it through hard times. If you're looking for a Dp, I highly recommend them.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
If I could afford it, I would buy a Winnebago Journey 36M. I found a new one for $196,000 in Texas. Winnebago does a drop test on every new model they come out with by turning one upside down and, after raising it a few feet off the ground, they drop it. Anything that turns loose inside is re-done so it is secure.
I agree with this. I think the Journey in the length is nice.

I also think the tiffin allegro red 33aa is nice as long as you can handle the entry level seats, windows.

The tiffin phaeton 36gh is also very nice (too bad the king bed is in the 33aa)

Another thing to look out for is the dealer is counting on you being naive (or simply ignorant about what's available) Like when you step into an allegro red 33aa, they will never tell you the windows are single pane, and that you could order one with a computer desk over the dinette.

I would also certainly look at the dutchstar by newmar (would probably be my preference over them all if money was no object)

Seriously though, in my opinion (and i just spent the last six months researching hard core, I think that tiffin has the best thing going in buses 34-38 feet.)
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Yep. I love my 1988 Georgie Boy coach. I mean, something happens on every trip. Isn't that what RVing is all about? For example:

- Gas Gage decides to act up without telling me ahead of time. It is not measuring correctly, so I ran out of gas on a major highway. Closed the right lane ...

- Fuel pump fails as I drive unto the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa.

- Belt for alternator comes off while happily driving down the highway, unbeknown to me. Eventually, the battery fails so I'm stranded on the shoulder of some highway in Louisiana. So, I take a comfortable chair and sit outside by the highway, with a cold drink in my hand, while I wait for the mobile service truck. Other drivers are waving and making all kinds of "you might be a redneck" jokes ... "You might be a redneck if you decide to go camping on the side of a major road ..."

- Driver side door almost falls out while driving.

- Two cargo compartment doors blow out while driving. I pull over and walk down the highway picking up the pieces. DW thought it was a good idea for me to walk on a busy highway ...

- Water pump froze and water everywhere under the bed ...

- During my first trip in the RV, I could not get water out of the faucets once connected to the mains. Checked everything. We found out later that a valve behind one of the kitchen cabinets was off.

But, all of the above are part of the fun of RVing.

With the exception of the fuel pump failure over the bridge in Florida.

I can't wait to get on the road again!
Boy - ain't all that the truth
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
Research on the Polazzo might change your mind. I had a deposit on one and after reading about poor quality and warranty issues, I canceled it and went to another brand. I had a Winnebago Journey. It's very well built and is more like driving a car than a huge MH. Winnebago is a debt free company so that's about as safe as it gets for a company to make it through hard times. If you're looking for a Dp, I highly recommend them.
When we looked at a Palazzo at a RV show the first thing we noticed was the price. Much lower than anything else the same size.
Then after spending some time in one with a salesman, he even told us they are pieces of "XXXX".
Then he took us over to Tiffin.

There are a few really well built coaches out there, the problem for us buyers is "well built and cheap" do not go together.
You get one or the other.
But not both.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Well......

You're looking at going from say, a Bently or Rolls to Chevy's and Fords.

Personally I'd look at Foretravel or Newell as my first choice. 08 or older Monaco's, Dynasty and above on s-chassis. Not sure if Newmar made the Essex or King-Aire any smaller than 45. If they did, I'd look at those, especially on a Spartan chassis. Entegra units should be on the list as well as Travel Supreme. Stick to the higher end units if you want quality finishes and wood cabinets.(I'm talking older Travel Supreme's at lower trim levels, not Entegra. ) Keep Country Coach on your list and add Tiffin Allegro bus to it as well.

All of these would be close to the trim level and quality of your previous coaches. I'm sure I left some off the list and I'm not going to rank them as I don't want to start a war. I'd test drive the heck out of everything I could and keep a diary of sorts on the strengths and weaknesses for you. Then I'd ask some specific questions of owners of the units you like. They'll let you know the good and bad of each unit, as they all have quirks of some sort.

Good hunting!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #37

Well I owned a Palazzo for 22 months. Not to go into detail just go back and read my post. In my opinion the Palazzo if not broke it will soon break on you.

I traded for a FR Berkshire. I haven't put too many miles on the new one yet but like it so far.

I think that Forest River might have something coming out in a 34' quad slide. Not sure??

Russell
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #38

The best place to get real honest answers is at a campground. Internet RV sites that are sponsored by RV Manufacturers may not allow true horror stories to be posted. RV dealerships are always going to try to talk you into a higher priced coach so they make more on the sale.
On the show Big Time RV on the travel channel showed the Lazy Days sales people quoting FULL MSRP prices! Usually 25-30% off the MSRP is customary. I think Lazy Days missed an opportunity to show people that they can work to get people into an RV. Especially people that watched that show and thought "I could never afford that".
I guess my best advice would be DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!! Talk to owners of the RV you are considering. It is a very expensive mistake if you choose the wrong RV!!
Happy Hunting!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #39

RKNOLA not to get off track but agree with your take on the big time Rv show . Quote full price and don't show the full range of products to get someone as close as possible to what they say they want . Still fun to watch though
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like this MSRP and discounted 25 - 30% is a cagey marketing ploy. If the MSRP price is realistic manufacturers would quickly go out of business.

The MSRP has to be inflated just so the big "discounts" can be handed out.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the input. Yes we have read some of the notes on the palazzo and are wary. We really liked the older monaco diplomats but they don't have kings. Would love a foretravel, King Aire or Newell but the price is more than we want to spend. We aren't gonna be full timers yet. We got excited about some of the tiffin units but drove a few used ones and they their build quality isn't nearly as solid as the Newmar's we've seen in the same class and model year.

Think we are gonna pursue a good used dutch start. Thanks all!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #42

As many have stated 'best' is subjective, depending on your needs and budget.
We recently went through the same thing, moving up to a DP, but wanting to stay a little shorter in length.
First we established our budget, then we looked at floor plans and features. After narrowing manufacturers down based on that, we started looking at MH's in person. We then started our research on manufacturers and customer service and satisfaction.
After looking at all things, budget, floor plan and customer service, we decided what MH was right for us. We are anxiously awaiting the delivery of our new MH ( Phaeton 36 GH) which should be delivered first week in September!

Tags
diesel, class a