RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #1

Best Class A diesel bunk house?

Hey everyone, looking for some advice.

My wife and I tour in a 2000 Bounder 39' DP. She's a singer and we carry all our own sound gear and merchandise. However, we also carry a 7-year-old and a 15-month-old.

I'm looking for suggestions on a newer-than-what-we-have but still late model RV with good storage and a bunkhouse.

We had purchased this RV while she was pregnant knowing we needed to figure out the baby situation. We settled on removing the 2 mirror sliding closet doors, and I built a baby crib with lower storage into the closet. It's worked out pretty well so far. However, looking a couple of years out, the toddler will soon enough grow out of the crib.

The other kid sleeps on the couch, easy enough. But it's not original, and when it folds out, we can't walk around it.

So the thought is to find a bunkhouse with either side bunks or a drop down bunk over the driver. Or, we actually just yesterday passed a Newmar DP for sale that had a sign that said "Rare 2 story". It had queen where the engine normally would be and a staircase up to a full bed. But, to make room for the beds in the back, they pushed the engine midway up. As a result, there is almost zero outside storage.

Another option we've considered is simply removing this pullout queen sofa, and putting a jackknife sofa in instead, that would let the kids sleep together. And, it would be rather cheaper than buying into a new RV.

I'm sure we could go to any dealer and have them order exactly what we need, but we can't afford that kind of craziness. We purchased ours for $21500 cash, and I think we could budget up to $50k-$60k with a loan. Just wanting to give as much info as possible in case someone's got the perfect model/ year they've seen.

Clhuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

We are very happy with our bunk Berk. (See blog below) Mid 2017 they went to the multiplex electrical system so there's quite a few of the older "steam" coaches out there (which I prefer most days). They seem to hold their value reasonably well, but they are worth it. Good balance between the various design elements.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
This may be totally off base but this bunk bed / sofa idea has fascinated me since I first saw one on line a couple years ago. Seems to me that RV manufacturers would offer something that would function like this but maybe not costs as much.... these are like $3,000-$4,000. Still cheaper than trading your RV?

Ed

YouTube video:

Manufacturer's home page:
Elevate Bunk Bed | Luonto Furniture
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
1st Question is what is your financial range?
These options should be within the same general price range

ie: new/near new = entry/lower mid range
1 to 4 year old = solid mid range
5 to 10 yr olds = top offerings for upper mid range to lower models of custom builders

Then there are the older coaches in the upper extremes (when new) that also are available with multi-bunk options that are designed for traveling to gigs with ample basement storage for equipment and comfort for the passengers (laundry/large fuel/fresh water & black/gray tanks.. good heating and multi roof A/C's for comfort, and multi bunks..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
And then .. there are those like this...
http://www.staleycoach.com/46418%20%...ar%20Coach.htm
Old 02-18-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

Are you open to gas?

Most of the more attractive bunk house models in DPs are going to really push the envelope in regard to your $60K mentioned. If you're open to gas, there are many more options.

Fleetwood and Forest River in the used market are going to be your best bet for DP in your price range. If you want to spend bigger money, Tiffin and Entegra have some very nice options, but they will run WAY more than $60K.

If you're considering gas, Fleetwood and Thor has some nice gas Class As with bunks.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
This may be totally off base but this bunk bed / sofa idea has fascinated me since I first saw one on line a couple years ago. Seems to me that RV manufacturers would offer something that would function like this but maybe not costs as much.... these are like $3,000-$4,000. Still cheaper than trading your RV?

Ed

YouTube video:

Manufacturer's home page:
Elevate Bunk Bed | Luonto Furniture
Newmar offers a bunk couch in some models.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Thanks,

after putting 34k miles on ours in 17 months, I don't think I really should consider a Gas. The comfort of the better chassis and the durability of a bit more professional engines I think are what we're looking for. Specifically, since we're looking for older models.

I'm tempted to just put the Jack Knife bed in for cheaper, but I'm not sure how many more miles my rig has in it. We got it at 142k, and now we have 176k. I've already had to replace an exhaust manifold, and my next big fear is that the transmission goes out. It's always felt clunky when changing.

I'd love something in the 2006-2010 range guess. I wish there was better filtering for legacy models on the manufacturer's sites. I get it, they don't want us to go by a used one.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clhuggins View Post
Thanks,

after putting 34k miles on ours in 17 months, I don't think I really should consider a Gas. The comfort of the better chassis and the durability of a bit more professional engines I think are what we're looking for. Specifically, since we're looking for older models.

I'm tempted to just put the Jack Knife bed in for cheaper, but I'm not sure how many more miles my rig has in it. We got it at 142k, and now we have 176k. I've already had to replace an exhaust manifold, and my next big fear is that the transmission goes out. It's always felt clunky when changing.

I'd love something in the 2006-2010 range guess. I wish there was better filtering for legacy models on the manufacturer's sites. I get it, they don't want us to go by a used one.
I can totally relate. We're already working on how to upgrade/refit ours to fit a bed for little man in the bedroom when he outgrows his pack and play. We plan to refit the closet. In the long run, it's going to be cheaper than selling and buying something newer. Plus, by sticking with our coach, we avoid switching to a model with DEF. With an older coach comes more fixes (just replaced both ACs, replacing tires this year as well, will need to do suspension work [shocks and bags] soon enough), but I am able to accomplish a lot of these myself. A $10K-$15K investment on top of the great price I got my coach for makes good financial sense to me. Is there any way for your remodel/refit your current coach to make it more livable?

The most affordable models you're going to find are Fleetwood Discovery (38 or 39' I believe) and Forest River Berkshire (39' I believe). Another interesting one to take a look at is the Newmar Allstar. It was an interesting floor plan with a second level (above the master) that had two "bunks" on either side of the coach. You stepped down into the master. To get newer than 2006 on a $60K budget won't be an easy task to find one well maintained. If you could stretch your budget another $15K or so, I would say it's easily doable.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

Yeah, actually it was that Newmar Allstar that I just saw yesterday. WIth the built-in staircase to the upstairs bunks, I really liked that design. However, it has about nearly zero storage. Pretty much a deal breaker for traveling artists who need their sound gear and merch.

Here's my remodel of our double door closet into a crib. You can see all the darker wood is what I built.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Country Coach if you can find one.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #12

You could try a Murphy bed instead of a jackknife sofa.

You could check out a bus conversion like the older Eagle. You can pick those up within your budget.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #13

Could you use the Allstar and pull a trailer for your gear?
chipmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #14

Foretravel Owners Club
If you like Blue.. use the extra bunks for storage....
2009 XLII Prevost Double Slide Star Coach

Tags
class a, diesel