Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Exit strategy, and patience. I say again, exit strategy and patience. I like Flying J for it's RV lane. I recently received my Flying J/ Pilot discount card. Flying J is always good, but I recently learned the hard way that the same does NOT always apply to a Pilot. One may be just fine, but I got in a bind in one in Virginia about 6 weeks ago. I never had any trouble at most Love's, and Travel America. I have a Walmart at home that I use often. But I did have an accident at it while trying to get gas in the afternoon of Christmas Eve. Nothing but a mad house. And like someone else said, my confidence was pretty high from years of experience. I was careful about the rear end swing in and out of the pump area, but clipped a gal who had snuck in beside me I did not see in the lane in front of the station. Nothing but STUPID on my part. The place was a beehive but I thought I could handle it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #16

First off, let me say what great forums these are. Glad I found them!! Thanks for all the replies with great advise. Yes, I will build my confidence with time, but this sure can be intimidating. I can just imagine getting wedged in as some of you stated. I have a couple of stations near my home that have the paralleled pumps and it is not a problem. The ones that angle in are the ones I "fear", but I suppose the comfort here comes from experience as most of you stated.

We will be making our first trip in a week or so and I will see how things go. Will look out for the truck stop RV lanes and begin looking for fuel at 1/2 tank.

Coach handles great and had no problems with it on the 100 miles back from the dealer. Purchased fuel after getting home at one of the stations I mentioned above and had no problems. Guess I may a little paranoid about all of this, but wanted advise from more experienced RV'ers.

Thanks for all the Great advise.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #17

NOT all PFJ have RV pumps and lanes for gas. I have found that many do not and they are not easy to get in and out of. The book "next Exit" list 'RV friendly' fuel stops but I found it meant diesel. The more gas stations at an exit the better chance of finding one you can get in and out of.

As mentioned, pumps parallel to store front and road are usually easier to maneuver.
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

I have a gasser and I have yet to find a Pilot that is accommodating. Seems like the gas pumps are always perpendicular to their storefront and there is never enough room between the pump and the store to get out easily.
I prefer Shell as their pumps are usually parallel to their storefronts and are pull in and pull out with minimal hassles.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #19

With a little esxperience you will gain enough confidence to even get yourself in trouble. Justr look at the number of Class As around and see how few you see on the side of the road that have run out of gas. Seeing you are in theSouth and there is good chance you will be running your generator for AC you have to keep in mind that the generator will cut out someplace around 1/4 tank. I always start looking at 1/2 on mine so I don't get too warm inside. I will usually plan my tank entrance as the difficult part and keep the getaway clear. Usually that means going close to the store and facing out to get to the pumps.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #20

You know on these "Highway exit signs" (lodging, gas and attractions), wouldn't it be nice of they included "RV friendly" under the logos of gas stations that accomodate larger vehicles??
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #21

OK, here's a solution. Great for diesel rigs but they also unleaded gas pumps....and they really pump it in fast! Go to this website, find a CFN dealer in your area and give them a call. No fees, just get a monthly statement when you use their facilities, anywhere! Statements come monthly. No minimum purchases and they give you a card and PIN to use at any CFN facility. Big pull through stations and they are generally used only by commercial rigs. Tons of locations on freeways and off. Check them out: Welcome to CFN Commercial Fueling Network You'll be glad you did!
Snoopkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #22

Are you saying they have fueling islands for gas that are separate from the main gas islands? Similar to the diesel islands for the truckers? I have never seen this, buy this would be terrific.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a 37'7" wither with or without (currently without) towed. I do have a cargo tray on the back that carries wife's mobility scooter making me about 40' bumper to tail lights on tray (Kind of a joke but they are real tail lights)

I can get gas most anywhere.. HOWEVER,, I look at the station, often from the road, and decide which drive to use and which pump,, Then I wait till that pump is clear, USUALLY I block two pumps (however did it in one yesterday) I may have to sit and wait a bit, but my scopeing out my route BEFORE I pull in,, I make it in and out no problem.

Only once did I ever have a problem,, The station re-designed their lot the next week (I kid you not, I was not the only one with issues).

I usually take an "outside" pump, that is if there are 3 islands, 2 double sided pumps each Then Pump 1 or 3 and Pump 12 or 10 are my first choices as a rule, SOMETIMES I might take an inner one depending on the station.

I have one shell where I make a half turn off one road and it puts me right past the pumps, straight ahead is the exit onto anothe rroad, half turn and off I go, Those are rare. But the key, in all cases is to scope it out first.

One aid.

It's a long way from where I'm sitting
To the place, that gas flows in,
It' salong way behind me
And that relly is a sin

So I installed a camera
Right where the gas cap is
It feeds channel B on the rear view
Monitor that is.

(Yes you can sing that)

I put a small ""Bolt camera" in the panel under below the gas cap (WOuld have liked to go above but easier to access below) fed it power and fed the video to channel B on the rear view monitor.. Tap the button and when the pump is centered on the screen.. I'm good to fuel up.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pilot/Flying J usually works for us. We have their iPhone app that shows the nearest locations, and lists all the amenities including who has dedicated RV lanes. We also use the PFJ Charge Card. A few cents discount per gallon, and it gets billed automatically every month. Best of all, no pump limit like the $100, $150 etc on Visa or Mastercard.
Like others have commented, we start planning the next fuel stop at the half tank mark. We average 300 miles a day when traveling long distances, and the MH has a range per tank of 600 so theoretically we could fill every second day, but less than half a tank just makes me nervous.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Are you saying they have fueling islands for gas that are separate from the main gas islands? Similar to the diesel islands for the truckers? I have never seen this, buy this would be terrific.
Yup. They usually only have one or two gas pumps but several diesel pumps. Take a look at the website and drive by one near your home. They vary a bit in design but I find most are empty when I pull in for fuel. Check it out.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofakleez View Post
Yup. They usually only have one or two gas pumps but several diesel pumps. Take a look at the website and drive by one near your home. They vary a bit in design but I find most are empty when I pull in for fuel. Check it out.
I should have added that you need to train your eye to look for the CFN logo when driving. There are lots of them and when you see them you can bet they have lots of room for your rig, even with a tow.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #27

I bookmarked the CFN website from the link provided above. When you go to the website you can find locations by state on a US map and then city locations with specific addresses in a sub-menu. If you plan trips ahead of time this would be usefull in knowing where you are going to stop for fuel. We plan to spend next summer in Montana and found a number of CFN sites at or near all the locations we plan to spend time in. I haven't mapped out the entire route from Texas to Montana yet but I am going to plan fuel stops using the CFN web-site.
Many thanks to Sofakleez for a great tip. I had never heard of CFN until today.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
I bookmarked the CFN website from the link provided above. When you go to the website you can find locations by state on a US map and then city locations with specific addresses in a sub-menu. If you plan trips ahead of time this would be usefull in knowing where you are going to stop for fuel. We plan to spend next summer in Montana and found a number of CFN sites at or near all the locations we plan to spend time in. I haven't mapped out the entire route from Texas to Montana yet but I am going to plan fuel stops using the CFN web-site.
Many thanks to Sofakleez for a great tip. I had never heard of CFN until today.
You're very welcome. I printed out the locations by State/City so when traveling, just keep the State you're in handy. Safe travels!

Tags
gas