Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Best Diesel fuel additive

New to motorhome ownership and just checking to see if there are any recommendations on the best diesel fuel additive to keep the fuel as fresh as possible. I know the biodiesel can be problematic. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

What engine, year, are asking for?

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
What engine, year, are asking for?
Yep, need to know all the above for an accurate answer. By the way, even when CAT was still in the "Over the road" engine manufacturing, it did NOT RECOMMEND any additives for its engines. At least that's what I've read several times in manuals. Maybe things have changed.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest you save your money. Diesel fuel lasts a long time, the only real problems would be water and dirt. If you keep the tank full during long time storage, little condensation can happen. Dirt is dealt with by your filters and fuel tank cap. If during long time storage you fear fuel breakdown that can create a black sludge that can clog filters, you could add chemicals to prevent it.

Notice I don't use the word algae, that's a specific single cell plant that requires sunlight and water. While you might have a bit of water in the tank, you don't have any sunlight so it's not really algae. It's actually particles chemically created out of the molecules in the fuel breaking down.

Winter fuel often has chemicals added to it to prevent the fuel from 'gelling' or turning to 'wax' that can clog filters and prevent fuel flow. If your last tank of fuel was summer blend, it might form waxes and gel in extreme winter temperatures. I've owned and driven diesel vehicles since 1982 and live in southern Ohio where winter temperatures can spend days and weeks below freezing and days and nights below 0 F. I've never had a diesel fail to start or run in those conditions.

Biodiesel is just as clean as dino diesel unless you are sloppy in making your own from fry oils. I've run 100% biodiesel on occasion, it gives a distinct french fry smell to the exhaust but did little else to be really noticeable. Usual mix is 5%-10% bio mix and isn't an issue.

Some folks will recommend lubricating additives to make up for the low sulphur make up of today's diesel fuel. But if you remember the 1970's there were folks selling additives to gasoline to make up for the no lead gas being sold. We were told our cars would destroy valves and such without the lead in the fuel. It made people feel better spending money to improve their fuel, but did little good really for the health of their engine or fuel. Sort of like Vick's Vaporub, Doctors discovered it did more for making Mom feel good rubbing it on babies chest than it did to actually help a kid with a cold or flu.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtrh View Post
New to motorhome ownership and just checking to see if there are any recommendations on the best diesel fuel additive to keep the fuel as fresh as possible. I know the biodiesel can be problematic. Thanks.
Oldtrh
I have chosen to use NONE in the 16,588 galions of diesel I've used in my 3126 Cat powered coach..(as recommended by Caterpillar).
No fuel problems so far.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No flame wars intended...but....Stanadyne makes the best. Use it always.
Lubricity Formula « Stanadyne Additives
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Alge-x is what we use if sitting for more than 2 months . No alge blooms in the hot humid weather. Makes me feel good. Additive depends on how/ where/when you plan to use your coach.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club

I like to stick with what the manufacturer of the engine suggests. Seems to me the folks that make the engine might know best.

Here's CUMMINS reccomendation IF you are going to store it, or drive it infrequently, especially in hot, humid conditions. You do not want growth in the tanks, plenty of horror stories out there, a lot on here.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/ht...crobicide.html
Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
It might make a deference depending on which fuel injection pump you have.. I've always used service power in all of my Diesels more when I was working them harder...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what Cummins says. They have six kinds they will sell you.

Here is the fuel requirement for Cummins.

The biggest deal is Lubricity. https://opti-lube.com

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

You should use a good biocide, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #11

I must be dumb or lucky as I have never used a diesel fuel additive in any of our service trucks, tractors, or crane trucks in the 50 years of operating diesel engines. Clean fuel from high use facilities and filter changes are all that we did. I do not remember a fuel related problem in all of that time.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I must be dumb or lucky as I have never used a diesel fuel additive in any of our service trucks, tractors, or crane trucks in the 50 years of operating diesel engines. Clean fuel from high use facilities and filter changes are all that we did. I do not remember a fuel related problem in all of that time.

That's because I'd hazard to guess those work vehicles are driven on almost a daily basis.

Please see my post above regarding long term storage/and/or limited use and Cummins reccomendation a regarding same.

You don't want stuff growing in your fuel tank -- believe me. Stuff WILL grow in those tanks in high temp/humidity environment (Florida, not Arizona) and limited use. Search the forum and you'll see the stories. Biocides are recommended in these conditions.

Cheap insurance .

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
That's because I'd hazard to guess those work vehicles are driven on almost a daily basis.

Please see my post above regarding long term storage/and/or limited use and Cummins reccomendation a regarding same.

You don't want stuff growing in your fuel tank -- believe me. Cheap insurance .

Cheers!
Some of our trucks or tractors would sit for several months through the winter. Probably too cold for anything to grow. However, Combines might sit from December to the following September with little if any use. I'm not aware of anything growing in those tanks. Once the batteries were put back in, they fired right up and ran the season. We did store them under cover with full tanks and fresh filters.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There is a whole lota 44v fuel injection pump owners wish they'd had something in their tanks.... diesel fuel has changed over the years ..

Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel