Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Best DP under $50K?

Looking to upgrade from a gasser class C to a bigger rig with more CCC for my family of five. We're considering an older DP with good bones - we'd renovate the interior to suit our needs. Any brands/models to avoid? Seems like Newmar and Monaco age better than most.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Seems like Newmar and Monaco age better than most.
That depends entirely on the previous owners and how the coach was stored and cared for. I would not rule out other manufacturers just because they weren't top tier.

Just an fyi, interior renovations can be more than you anticipate. Ask me how I know. lol You may find what you are looking for in your price range without the need to remodel. A good cleaning is sometimes all that is needed to bring an RV up to standards.

Our 2002 Itasca was in excellent condition when we traded it in recently, because it was stored in a garage.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Looking to upgrade from a gasser class C to a bigger rig with more CCC for my family of five. We're considering an older DP with good bones - we'd renovate the interior to suit our needs. Any brands/models to avoid? Seems like Newmar and Monaco age better than most.
Probably the oldest Bluebird Wanderlodge you can find for that price and a tank of a land yacht that you could keep on the road forever, if need be....
Check them out here.... Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #4

Agaveguy,

Thanks! You're right about maintenance and storage - some remodeling is inevitable given the rarity of RV's with sleeping space for three kids. The C with the overcab works for now but it's tough to find in a class A.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Tropical36,

Thanks! I've always liked the Wanderlodges, but I haven't seen any yet that have a floor plan that could be modified to add bed space. I'm also looking at other Bus conversions.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Three kids in a rig that is probably designed for two people who share a bedroom requires some creative thinking. We're in the process of modifying our 40' Holiday Rambler to add bunks for our two daughters, ages 8 and 11. We really like the layout of the 2015 and newer Fleetwood Excursion 35E (which will sleep six if properly equipped) and are using some of its design features in our remodeling efforts. There are a few older designs with bunks, but not three of them. The Fleetwood Discovery is one. When we started looking, we found quite a few floorplans with bunks that are fully or partially inside the bedroom. We're not so old that we are willing to accept this intrusion into our private space. Other floorplans have bunks that are, essentially, in the bathroom, which also left us scratching our heads. The winner was a beautiful Prevost conversion with bunks in the bedroom closet??? We used the RV Trader website to search for Class A motorhomes with bunks for several months before deciding to build one ourselves. Simplicity rules. Coaches with complex integrated systems are out of the question. Tearing out cabinetry and moving walls is complex enough without worrying about electric toilets and networked awnings, etc. I'm interested to see how you approach this and what you find as a starting point for your family coach.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
5-1/2 years ago we bought our 2000 Allegro Bus, for just north of $50k. It's reasonably 'top tier', has Corian counter tops, walnut cabinetry, beveled mirrors all over the place, and a single large slide (which I like since with no bedroom slide, I have GREAT access to the engine), and it's been relatively trouble-free. The original owner paid $168k for it, I considered it a bargain for what we paid. And I see these same exact units for sale still for more than we paid. What they actually SELL for, who knows...

Ours isn't exactly a 'family' unit, but regardless, if you have up to $50k to spend, you should be able to find a well kept unit that won't need any interior work!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

My dream Coach was a Beaver rig. Found a few for less than $50k but others snagged em up faster than I could. Got my rig for $30k and put $5k in engine work plus a few tires. A 96 with only 68,000 mi. Deals are out there, it just takes time. Took me 10 months too find mine... I'm sure mine can go another 20yrs if I take care of her! 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 10-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Try this one... offer them $50K ... they will probably take it. No remodel necessary.

2008 Astoria Pacific 3776 for Sale - D744 - PPL Motor Homes
Old 10-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
First time RV owner here...and my only advice 7 days into ownership is WATCH OUT for coaches with over 80k miles. I was thinking "oh it's a diesel, I have an H1 (diesel) and those engines go FOREVER." I was assured by the small dealer I bought from that I could "go online, there are lots of service plans online" when I inquired (I always buy a service plan when I buy a used vehicle).

No. Just no. I am having no luck finding a service plan that will cover my 10 year old 147k mile coach. And I already just had a breakdown (fan clutch).

Still searching...
Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

I am a little bit bias on this but...

Give Mr. Blue Bird, Randy Dupree a call. Number on his web site

www.buybyebluebird.com
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
No. Just no. I am having no luck finding a service plan that will cover my 10 year old 147k mile coach. And I already just had a breakdown (fan clutch).

Still searching...

This is helpful reading.
http://wheelingit.us/2012/09/11/the-...ed-warranties/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1444676515.268250.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	109458
Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Three kids in a rig that is probably designed for two people who share a bedroom requires some creative thinking. We're in the process of modifying our 40' Holiday Rambler to add bunks for our two daughters, ages 8 and 11. We really like the layout of the 2015 and newer Fleetwood Excursion 35E (which will sleep six if properly equipped) and are using some of its design features in our remodeling efforts.
Yeah, it's a huge challenge. My wife and I sometimes joke about sending one kid to the orphanage to increase our options! The Excursion 35E is a really nice floorplan. The Jayco Seneca's have plenty of bunk space as well. However, we don't want to buy new - or rather we don't want to spend the premium for new on something that depreciates so quickly. We've also looked at toyhaulers, and those are a great option, but the good news/bad news with those is that they are rare enough they tend to hold their value - so they are tough to find. Good luck with your remodel - we'd love to see some pictures when it's done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
My dream Coach was a Beaver rig. Found a few for less than $50k but others snagged em up faster than I could. Got my rig for $30k and put $5k in engine work plus a few tires. A 96 with only 68,000 mi. Deals are out there, it just takes time. Took me 10 months too find mine... I'm sure mine can go another 20yrs if I take care of her! 😜
That's kind of our plan as well. Yesterday we saw a nice 2002 Bounder for $34k on Craiglist local and it was under contract by the time I called to see if we could go see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Try this one... offer them $50K ... they will probably take it. No remodel necessary.

2008 Astoria Pacific 3776 for Sale - D744 - PPL Motor Homes
Wow, that's appears to be a nice rig for the price. I can only assume the low price is due to the mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGirl View Post
First time RV owner here...and my only advice 7 days into ownership is WATCH OUT for coaches with over 80k miles.
Ope you get your rig fixed quickly! High mileage is a good & bad thing IMO. It's good because at least you know the rig was used and wasn't left to rot outside for years at a time - bad in that it's more wear and tear on the mechanicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
I am a little bit bias on this but...

Give Mr. Blue Bird, Randy Dupree a call. Number on his web site

Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
I check out that site every few months. I would love a Blue Bird but I don't know how I could fit three kids into one without a major renovation - at least from the floorplans I've seen.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
[
Wow, that's appears to be a nice rig for the price. I can only assume the low price is due to the mileage.

[/QUOTE]

105k is not high on a DP. Unit may have lots of wear and tear. May have been lived in full time.

I had a line on a real nice DP from PPL, it was nice right up until the tech put the code reader on the engine. Lots of unexplainable codes (the tech would have loved to stay and diagnose for me, but at $95/hr, I wouldn't let him diagnose someone else's coach).