Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #1

Best Insurance for Motor Homes

I havew a 2014 Newmar Dutch Star and currently have Progressive Insurance. Is there a carrier that is better for motorhomes?

Thank you
jimfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Hey,

I cant speak for the insurance companies as far as how much they cost. But being on the "receiving" end of insurance companies, I have found that USAA and Progressive give the best customer service and most prompt response to issues. They both have impressed me by coming out promptly to examine claims and provide payment as soon as jobs are approved so that there is no waiting time for repair.
haasracing14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #3

For our fulltiming MH coverage, National Interstate is the company we use.

National Interstate
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use National Interstate and it is good. We just had a total loss and they paid the entire stated policy payout for a total loss.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you read the exclusions !!! I had progressive and while my 45 ft rv was stored behind my business it was attacked by rodents to the tune of $21,000 . progressive was very quick to come out , take photos and then DENIED my entire claim due to there exclusion for "damage caused by rodents " . I had been in the insurance industry for 20+ years and did not read all the small print-- very dumb !! No longer with Progressive.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The cost of insurance depends on driving record, location of RV and what policy you want. I am sure there are all kinds of other "extra" things that are quite subjective in the price. I know that our cost for the RV goes about half going from MI to CA. Same coverage and people just different location. On the other hand the insurance for the bike almost doubles going from MI to CA, more driving time so more cost according to them.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Farmers

We recently switched our blanket policy to Farmers Insurance. When doing the paper work the agent said there would be a start up fee on the RV of $350. I asked why so? The agent said more companies are having to do so because the RV'ers are starting policy's for 3 months while they camp and then cancel their policy and start all over the next year with a different carrier. It's making life tuff on the providers when people do this.

We somtimes are our own worst enemy.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
We use The Hartford through AARP. The premiums are VERY affordable and include emergency roadside assistance. We have only filed one claim, and that was handled expeditiously and competently. We don't play the "on again - off again" game with our RV insurance. I want my coach covered all the time whether I'm on the road or it is parked in storage.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check out Blue Sky as well
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes

Quote:
We don't play the "on again - off again" game with our RV insurance. I want my coach covered all the time whether I'm on the road or it is parked in storage.
Us as well. For the amount of investment why wouldn't people?
But I guess enough cancel to cause concern with some companies.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I'm a cost effective and convenience sort of guy, so go with the best price and one that will insure all of our vehicles. Unfortunately, we've had a couple of claims with two different companies and had no problems with either.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

How about Good Sam RV Insurance?
jimfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got ours through Progressive as well. Previously with State Farm. Coverage is better and more cost effective. Read the fine print and make sure you get the coverage you need. You may have to pay additional premium for some coverages.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Every year approximately 30-45 days before my policy(currently Blue Sky) is due, I request quotes from 5-6 insurance carriers who specialize in rv coverage. Since I believe no insurance company is your friend is the reason I do this. About every (5) years, most companies will have raised your premiums enough to possibly warrant a change. (Example: Progressive doubled to $1300 in (5) yrs with no claims. Went with Blue Sky at $500 and a small increase this year.

Here are some to consider:
http://www.blueskyrvinsurance.com/about-us/
http://explorerrv.com/
http://www.fcisinsurance.com/rv-advantage.asp
http://www.gilbertrvinsurance.com/
http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/index.php
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance